No power/current display after Ultra 620 Canbus-UART conversion

CCroft

I just completed switching out the components (controller, torque sensor, speed sensor, and wiring harness, all purchased via GBK) to convert my CANBUS Ultra 510/620 over to UART so I can tune/modify the settings.

Everything seems to work OK (although the pedal assist seems slow to engage, but I'm still in the process of experimenting with the settings on that) EXCEPT I can't get any power/current to display...either on my 500c display or my Eggrider/app like with my BBSHD.

Did I make a mistake somewhere in the install/conversion process, or is power/current just not something these displays can pull off the Ultra (or this converted "UART" version of Ultra)?

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 47
It should be pretty straight-forward - the display/EggRider is directly connected to the motor controller via the wiring harness, so assuming you're actually pedaling or using the throttle there should be both non-zero Power and Current displayed.

You mentioned replacing the "torque sensor," can you describe/show what that is?

Hi smorgasbord,
That's what I thought too (pretty straightforward), and I'm thinking that if I made some mistake in my conversion, I'd be seeing other problems than just no Power and Current being displayed. Last night, someone at Green Bike Kit said that I would not be able to get power/current data from the 620, but we had some "lost in translation" confusion, so I wasn't sure she understood my issue... I wanted to post here for others' thoughts.

Here's the process I followed for replacing the torque sensor. Another EBR rider here and GBK both said that to switch my new CANBUS 620 to UART, I'd need to change out the controller (obviously), but also the torque sensor, speed sensor, and main wiring harness.

The only thing that comes to mind is to try a new Bafang display.
500c and eggrider are both 3rd party and Bafang likes to update controller firmware that sometimes isn't 100% backwards compatible

I'd shoot an email to eggrider.

Last edited:
If you didn't change out the main wiring, that could be your problem. Canbus could be communicating on a completely different wire than the UART would be talking on.
If anything, swapping pins around (according to proper schematics) could solve the issues.

Bafang M620/G510 (and all other Bafang motors) now on CAN-BUS (2021+) rather than UART (2018-2020)?
Read the op again.
The plugs on the main harness are different for several of the connections. It would be a real hassle to adapt it and replacing it with the correct one is much easier and the (only) way to go.
Additionally some information is being communicated correctly so the comm pins are functioning.

Are you using a UART display?
Eggrider is UART
I also don't think the 500c was available in CANbus

Last edited:
Read the op again.

Eggrider is UART
Sounds like the contorller is just not reporting the amps and watts ot the display? Or teh display is not reading it? But the bike runs fine?

Sounds like the contorller is just not reporting the amps and watts ot the display? Or teh display is not reading it? But the bike runs fine?
That's what I'm gathering.
Could be a defect in the controller.... Or a firmware issue.
We're on our own.... You gotta love Bafang.

edit: I wonder how the controller calculates power used?
Within itself or does the motor have other sensors? If the latter.. that would be the problem.

Last edited:
Read the op again.
The plugs on the main harness are different for several of the connections. It would be a real hassle to adapt it and replacing it with the correct one is much easier and the (only) way to go.
Additionally some information is being communicated correctly so the comm pins are functioning.

Eggrider is UART
Yep I missed the wiring harness part.

Yes, the bike appears to be running fine--on the stand. I didn't want to actually ride it until I confirmed that I hadn't made some kind of mistake that actual riding would make worse.

I've already heard back from Eggrider and sent them some additional information, so I'll update with what I hear back from them.

Yes, the bike appears to be running fine--on the stand. I didn't want to actually ride it until I confirmed that I hadn't made some kind of mistake that actual riding would make worse.

I've already heard back from Eggrider and sent them some additional information, so I'll update with what I hear back from them.
Oh... This is with the bike on a stand?
The current draw may be minimal and not registering. Take it for a short ride or at least put it in the highest gear and introduce a little friction to the rear tire while on the stand.

Oh... This is with the bike on a stand?
The current draw may be minimal and not registering. Take it for a short ride or at least put it in the highest gear and introduce a little friction to the rear tire while on the stand.
I hadn't thought of that...very good point! I'll take it out for a ride and report back.

I should mention, however, that the BBSHD on my other ebike generated consistent and accurate power data when on the stand. Recently I had a battery that I charged to 95% anticipating a ride the next day, which I was unable to do. I wanted to safely discharge this battery back to a more reasonable level for storage. I put the bike on the stand with that battery and carefully "pegged" the throttle a bit with a toothpick to drive the motor/wheel at a moderate speed. The 500c display showed a consistent ~ 40w output throughout the many hours I was running this "discharge" setup. And that bike has a lighter rear wheel than my new one which has a Rohloff IGH.

I should mention, however, that the BBSHD on my other ebike generated consistent and accurate power data when on the stand. Recently I had a battery that I charged to 95% anticipating a ride the next day, which I was unable to do. I wanted to safely discharge this battery back to a more reasonable level for storage. I put the bike on the stand with that battery and carefully "pegged" the throttle a bit with a toothpick to drive the motor/wheel at a moderate speed. The 500c display showed a consistent ~ 40w output throughout the many hours I was running this "discharge" setup. And that bike has a lighter rear wheel than my new one which has a Rohloff IGH.

Not saying that it shouldn't have a reading on the stand... Just understand that you are Bafang_íng.
My experience is that anything under 0.5a displays as 0.
That said I'm running the same setup and my Ultra when on the stand w/860c display in gear 1 shows 0.5a

I just completed switching out the components (controller, torque sensor, speed sensor, and wiring harness, all purchased via GBK) to convert my CANBUS Ultra 510/620 over to UART so I can tune/modify the settings.

Everything seems to work OK (although the pedal assist seems slow to engage, but I'm still in the process of experimenting with the settings on that) EXCEPT I can't get any power/current to display...either on my 500c display or my Eggrider/app like with my BBSHD.

Did I make a mistake somewhere in the install/conversion process, or is power/current just not something these displays can pull off the Ultra (or this converted "UART" version of Ultra)?
You ever get this figured out?

Back