Nitro City as a commuter bike

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Since my ST2 was down for a week, I wanted a fast, nimble bike for my commute to DC. Nitro city will be back up bike.

I will find out tomorrow if the 48V, 9Ah (8.6 Ah actually) lasts 30 mile, speed commuting?

ST2 does really well on that commute with 50% battery left after 30 miles. So approx 407Whr used for every 30 miles.
Nitro City seems to have much nicer freewheeling compared to ST2 ( of course geared motors don't experience that drag of DD hubs).
It's 8lbs lighter as well...

Ravi Nitro City.JPG

Last edited:
Since my ST2 was down for a week, I wanted a fast, nimble bike for my commute to DC. Nitro city will be back up bike.

I will find out tomorrow if the 48V, 9Ah (8.6 Ah actually) lasts 30 mile, speed commuting?

ST2 does really well on that commute with 50% battery left after 30 miles. So approx 407Whr used for every 30 miles.
Nitro City seems to have much nicer freewheeling compared to ST2 ( of course geared motors don't experience that drag of DD hubs).

View attachment 4347

I thought you had a Jumper? Is this a new acquisition?

While my beloved ST2 is on vacation, Nitro City is shining during my daily commute.....!
In the last 5 days, I have put close to 200 commuting miles and I have really started liking few things about the bike.
For less than 20 mile commute, this is a great bike.

Few mods:
  1. Added Schwalbe Marathon Plus for peace of mind.
  2. Ergon GP3 grips for comfort.
  3. The stock saddle was heavy and replaced it with my spare Stromer saddle (Brooks on the ST2)
  4. Busch & Muller E-bike specific mirror.
Things I like:
  1. 10lbs lighter than ST2 and hence agile and handles like a bicycle (ST2 behaves like a heavily armored tank)
  2. Can easily reach 30mph with fresh battery and in assist level 2.
  3. Comes with just about all accessory you want (rack, fender, bell, bash guard, lights etc)
Things I wish were better:
  1. Battery range sucks, depending on the route I take, commute is 27-30 miles one way and I barely make it with 10% if its 30 miles. Of course, my avg speeds are 20+ but if it had 48V, 14Ah battery, this thing would rock.
  2. After getting used to whisper quiet ST2, I can notice the whirring noise.
  3. The kickstand placement could be better.
  4. Charges at 2.2A, so the charging time = 4 hours (can be troublesome if you are on a long weekend ride)
Nitro City commuter.JPG
Nitro City.JPG

Battery range sucks, depending on the route I take, commute is 27-30 miles one way and I barely make it with 10% if its 30 miles.

I was waiting to hear (read) your real world experience with battery life. Easy Motion desperately needs to increase their aH on batteries... not by 1 aH, but get their batteries up to 14 - 16 aH. The range Easy Motion estimates just doesn't match real world results. This is my #1 point of feedback and perhaps you can deliver the message to them?

I was waiting to hear (read) your real world experience with battery life. Easy Motion desperately needs to increase their aH on batteries... not by 1 aH, but get their batteries up to 14 - 16 aH. The range Easy Motion estimates just doesn't match real world results. This is my #1 point of feedback and perhaps you can deliver the message to them?

Certainly and I have tried!
Most american E-bike companies are just importing stuff from China or elsewhere. The guys who have the final say on specs and design are sitting in Spain in the case of BH/Easy Motion.

They think people who commute 60 miles/day on an Ebike are crazies and should just get a moped :D lol
People are still thinking E-bikes are fun/ recreational toy. No wonder people go DIY route to get rid of these limitations...

However, we will see some improvements in the next year or so. Did you have any other feedback to them?

View attachment 4347
Ravi,

Did you buy this bike new? Renting? Testing?

I checked out Court's review. He rates it as a class 3 speed pedelec. But, this bike also has a throttle. Does the throttle cut out at 20mph or go full power and 28mph with the throttle?

thanks for the trip report.
Dan

While my beloved ST2 is on vacation, Nitro City is shining during my daily commute.....!
In the last 5 days, I have put close to 200 commuting miles and I have really started liking few things about the bike.

Few mods:
  3. The stock saddle was heavy and replaced it with my spare Stromer saddle (Brooks on the ST2)
Things I like:
  1. 10lbs lighter than ST2 and hence agile and handles like a bicycle (ST2 behaves like a heavily armored tank)
  3. Comes with just about all accessory you want (rack, fender, bell, bash guard, lights etc)
  1. Battery range sucks, depending on the route I take, commute is 27-30 miles one way and I barely make it with 10% if its 30 miles. Of course, my avg speeds are 20+ but if it had 48V, 14Ah battery, this thing would rock.
  4. Charges at 2.2A, so the charging time = 4 hours (can be troublesome if you are on a long weekend ride)
View attachment 4423 View attachment 4424
The Route:
193 to 450, then all the way to Annapolis? How are the shoulders size? Road trash on shoulders?

Ravi,

Did you buy this bike new? Renting? Testing?

I checked out Court's review. He rates it as a class 3 speed pedelec. But, this bike also has a throttle. Does the throttle cut out at 20mph or go full power and 28mph with the throttle?

thanks for the trip report.
Dan

Hi Dan,
Yes, I bought the bike. This will be my short commute vehicle while ST2 remains a long distance ground to ground missile.
The throttle cuts out at 20mph but PAS goes all the way upto 30mph.
The defense highway route is awesome. On certain stretches, the shoulders are like 10ft wide. I really feel safe on that stretch.
Road debris everywhere, stones, metal etc but two thumbs up for Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Handles nonchalantly.

Schwables do rock.

congrats on a new bike.

I thought all your commutes are "long range"??? :) 26 miles is up there.

I think you just wanted a second bike!

Congrats.

I should be getting the Voltbike Yukon this week, will check it out and send it to college park. Look for it on Campus. If you see a 180lb kid on one, that is my son, Sam. You can freak him out and call him by name....and that you know his dad. LOL.

Wow, all these models keep improving. They also keep upping power to 500/750W and Ahrs/Whr to 15ahr/36 or 11ahr/48 or more. Are we surprised?

Schwables do rock.

congrats on a new bike.

I thought all your commutes are "long range"??? :) 26 miles is up there.

I think you just wanted a second bike!

Congrats.

I should be getting the Voltbike Yukon this week, will check it out and send it to college park. Look for it on Campus. If you see a 180lb kid on one, that is my son, Sam. You can freak him out and call him by name....and that you know his dad. LOL.

Wow, all these models keep improving. They also keep upping power to 500/750W and Ahrs/Whr to 15ahr/36 or 11ahr/48 or more. Are we surprised?

Dan,
How's Sam liking the new Volt fat bike?
Our campus shop is cool and help out with anything he may need.

Ravi,

He was home this weekend and saw it for the first time. I had to get the codes from Voltbike and tweak the settings some. I will take it down this week. He thinks it is a beast and v-cool.

Few mods:
Things I like:
Ravi,

How effective is the light on this bike if riding at 30mph?

Few mods:
Things I like:
Comments on geared motor, lighter bike, freewheel, suspension Nitro bike vs ddhub motor, silent smooth, big tire, no suspension ride of ST2?

I have found you almost need a second battery if you like to ride a lot, simply for the piece of mind of eliminating range anxiety. I a lot of places I go to are 20 miles away, getting 40+ miles off one battery is certainly doable but you end up doing more work or going slower. Always thinking about range gets old. Luckily batteries are easy to come by and fit in most panniers.

Comments on geared motor, lighter bike, freewheel, suspension Nitro bike vs ddhub motor, silent smooth, big tire, no suspension ride of ST2?

This bike is my go-to bike for short distance commute (< 15miles). I really like the agility and quick to accelerate behavior of the controller.
Also, the racks can carry 25kg which is plenty for my lunch, laptop and few stuff. I routinely carry groceries upto 15kg and no rattling.

However, the range is a bit concerning. This is 13S 3P battery with Samsung 29E and it gets 25-30miles depending on temperature and speed.
The front suspension is certainly positive feature as the roads near DC/College Park area are ridden with potholes.

Every time, I am left with a feeling... gosh!! this would be such a great bike if it had 700Whr battery!! But right now, I have to deal with 417Whrs.

ST2 on the other hand is like Cadillac Escalade (especially with BodyFloat and Brooks saddle). Slow to accelerate compared to Dapu motor but once upto speed, the ride smoothness and momentum are way better than Nitro City.
On the flip side, it is heavy and the rack can only carry 10-15kgs.

Ravi,

How effective is the light on this bike if riding at 30mph?[/QUOTE
My Nitro Cross lights are good for running around town to be seen. But definitely inadequate for riding fast in low light conditions. I use supplementary lighting when commuting.

Back