New motor: Made in Canada, 2022 Mid-drive system

Short crank arms: This is a huge improvement on basically any mid-drive bike, we learned this concretely on Bafang Ultra builds. Shorter cranks actually feel better in every way, both on-road and off. Reduced pedal strikes are the hugest benefit off-road. These Origin8 cranks were chosen over three different short crank designs (Promax and Box were also tested thoroughly, we like them as well). Length is actually 155mm not 160mm, updated the site too.

Rear racks can be included on these bikes, as well as fenders.

BrianK: future variations, yes, very likely. The drivetrain is well suited to cargo+tow, daily driver, family bikes, and so on. Keeping it simple in 2022 while we hammer out manufacturing further.

"Short crank arms: This is a huge improvement on basically any mid-drive bike"

I fully agree with this statement. Wouldn't have believed it until I tried it though. I use 155's now and won't be going back to 170's.

Wouldn't have believed it until I tried it though
Same! I had some pedal striking issues back in 2018 with my Jug Ultra when I put 27.5" wheels on, so I got searching for solutions, got Miranda cranks, and it was a real moment of revelation riding with those!

150-160mm cranks on these types of motors feel like they were made for each other, in every type of riding and terrain they just feel "right".

Reactions: JRA
ALL SET! xd.biktrix.com

🥳🥳 Happy Twosday!!
I like the bike and what you have been able to do . Great to see a Canadian Company step up to the plate and produce a quality product.

The only issue I have and I have seen this with other Canadian Companies and it bugs me to see this, is why the price in USD? You are a Canadian Company in Canada, why can you not be a proud Canadian Company and use Canadian dollar prices. Let others figure out the exchange rate if they do not live in Canada.

I live in Canada, and when I am buying from a Canadian company I expect to pay in Canadian dollars and expect to see Canadian dollar price tags not USD price tags. I know it's just a small thing, but still.

Bruce

I like the bike and what you have been able to do . Great to see a Canadian Company step up to the plate and produce a quality product.

The only issue I have and I have seen this with other Canadian Companies and it bugs me to see this, is why the price in USD? You are a Canadian Company in Canada, why can you not be a proud Canadian Company and use Canadian dollar prices. Let others figure out the exchange rate if they do not live in Canada.

I live in Canada, and when I am buying from a Canadian company I expect to pay in Canadian dollars and expect to see Canadian dollar price tags not USD price tags. I know it's just a small thing, but still.

Bruce
It's because most Canadian's know that most other Canadians are good at using the big Google machine and can easily find a currency converter in one or two clicks. And also it makes it simple to do value comparisons when everything is priced in USD.
Yes, I am a Canadian.

Bruce

Hey Bruce, absolutely will be in CAD once the XD page is set up on biktrix.ca, on biktrix.com we keep everything in USD.

It just looks like a heavy fat hillbilly throttle bike. This green one is what a good electric bike looks like. Anyone who thinks a clunky redneck bike is cool is not someone whose opinion I would care for. On any subject! Attached is what our poutine looks like in the other CA. The queso fresco is melted into the fries.
1645652752452.jpeg

1645653089904.jpeg

@Deafcat
In your current setup what is the speed range that the motor can output around 1kw with an efficiency of %80 or more?
Can it sustain 1kw at very slow speeds, say 3mph without overheating?

Overall I like the design and it doesn't seem to be too heavy for the output. I am guessing the motor has no internal gears and the reduction is achieved by the cog on the wheel and the motor which is clean.

yeah, no PAS would be a dealbreaker. My Cyc-powered bike is like that - because of a malfunctioning PAS sensor - and while throttle-only can be lived with, its a pale second to PAS doing the job. I have found PAS especially essential in rough terrain where the act of cycling provides power and an intelligently customized PAS system makes riding intuitive and assist brainless. In particular when I built the last of my 2wd bikes, I was running on throttle before I got the PAS set up for maybe a week. Got PAS going and HUGE cognitive weight lifted off the ride. Vastly more enjoyable.

Also... no way would I touch something with a grip throttle. Thats motorcycle stuff. I've grabbed a throttle'd grip accidentally and looked up at the bike that shot forward and directly over my head seeing as I held onto the grip while it went flying. And then crashing straight down with me staying under it as best I could to keep the repair bill down. That doesn't happen with thumb throttles. We should have one or the other option as I do recognize some people like grip throttles.

It just looks like a heavy fat hillbilly throttle bike. This green one is what a good electric bike looks like. Anyone who thinks a clunky redneck bike is cool is not someone whose opinion I would care for. On any subject!
We all have different aspirations needs and preferences, it does not make them superior or inferior :)

Reactions: JRA
So on one side you have an electric motorcycle and the other you have a non-assisted bike that carries around a battery and a spare drive train?
No, on one side you have the motor power transmission, and on the other side you have the pedaling input for the Pedal assist :)

Says it's an option.
I guess I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around Why??

View attachment 115083
Some of us like the fun of powering the bike by pedaling, just with a superhuman feel.
Some people only like motorcycles, some only like traditional MTB, some like the pleasure coming for mountain biking with superhuman power :)
Just a matter of preference.

Some of us like the fun of powering the bike by pedaling, just with a superhuman feel.
Some people only like motorcycles, some only like traditional MTB, some like the pleasure coming for mountain biking with superhuman power :)
Just a matter of preference.
Sure who cares what you ride.
I'm just confused over who is the market and how big it is?

It is for people who are out of shape. Ether go for an electric motorcycle or ride a bike or get a refined electric bike that is not cluttered and clunky. The idea that all opinions are equal is not true. Many people have false beliefs or are ill informed.
1645655750607.jpeg

It is for people who are out of shape. Ether go for an electric motorcycle or ride a bike or get a refined electric bike that is not cluttered and clunky.
View attachment 115085
Of course there are also those who are in great shape, but way past their physical condition prime due to this thing called age :)
If you are in the lucky category of the young kind still in their prime, don't look down too much on the elders, your time will come soon enough :)

Not sure body shaming is what we want in this community, PedalUma.

Ebikes are all about enabling more people to ride, and enabling them to ride further in a day, through more challenging terrains, and to REPLACE CARS.

Please consider this, and what we're really trying to achieve here as ebike enthusiasts and innovators.

(PS, many of the guys who developed this bike ride pedal bikes, road bikes, and are very fit. We enjoy these XD bikes tremendously!)

Back