New Firmware for multiple bikes. Only updatable via the bike shop

I updated my firmware, however sensing tension between my LBS and Specialized, perhaps reflected in the fact that the dealer had more Giant models in the showroom. The dealer from which I purchased the bike had little knowledge of the update and seemed annoyed that Specialized sent an email to me telling me to drop in for an update which apparently caught them surprised and unprepared. It involved 2 trips as they first had to download the update, had a problem with Specialized's servers and I had to return for the actual firmware flash. If you haven't updated, no rush. I cannot discern a difference. On the Creo, there is reference to improvements in motor calibration. I was hoping this was referring to power output numbers, but they still seem inflated.

I plan to have my SL updated this week. I was thinking (hoping) that the “improved motor calibration” would result in better power output, particularly on inclines, if I had the dealer recalibrate the bike after the update.

It feels like my SL purposefully reduces power output literally to almost 0 power assist after about 3 seconds on an incline.

Has anyone had their SL recalibrated AFTER this firmware update was installed. If so, any noticeable improvements in the power output?

I plan to have my SL updated this week. I was thinking (hoping) that the “improved motor calibration” would result in better power output, particularly on inclines, if I had the dealer recalibrate the bike after the update.

It feels like my SL purposefully reduces power output literally to almost 0 power assist after about 3 seconds on an incline.

Has anyone had their SL recalibrated AFTER this firmware update was installed. If so, any noticeable improvements in the power output?
I haven’t had the update done on my Creo yet, but I’ve never experienced a power loss as you’ve described.

Well, that’s encouraging then as I think the Creo and the Levo SL both have the same 1.1 motor so hopefully it’s a fixable issue with my particular bike.

The SL 1.1 motor models work best at about a 75 rpm cadence. They are a bicycle with a little help. If you don't have enough cadence as you go uphill you can "stall" the motor. I will take my Creo in next week. When I stopped by the shop to check availability, one of the owners said Specialized was encouraging them to get people to do the updates.

The SL 1.1 motor models work best at about a 75 rpm cadence. They are a bicycle with a little help. If you don't have enough cadence as you go uphill you can "stall" the motor. I will take my Creo in next week. When I stopped by the shop to check availability, one of the owners said Specialized was encouraging them to get people to do the updates.
I guess I should get my Creo in. Hit 23 miles and about 1,100 feet of gain to start out the New Year. I may give the shop time to digest the Christmas sales and tuneups.

I second what Allan47 said. SL assistance goes up in proportion to cadence until it reaches the max for whatever mode you are in. So if you are barely grinding along you don't get much help. The firmware update didn't change how assistance works for me.

If you want more assistance at low cadence, you can use Mission Control to set higher proportionality. But the highest you can get is already the default in turbo mode.

I second what Allan47 said. SL assistance goes up in proportion to cadence until it reaches the max for whatever mode you are in. So if you are barely grinding along you don't get much help. The firmware update didn't change how assistance works for me.

If you want more assistance at low cadence, you can use Mission Control to set higher proportionality. But the highest you can get is already the default in turbo mode.
You can actually stall a SL motor. The person I sold my Vado SL discovered this on a short steep section of a bike route where you turn off a bike path to a short 17% street section. It gave him some error message and I think he fell over. (Normally you shift to your very lowest gear and wind it up while trying to keep from a pedal strike or a lot of people just walk it.)

My rule of thumb is to never ever take software upgrades for my e-bikes unless 1) they are needed to fix something that is broken, 2) the upgrade will provide a capability that I need or want and 3) others have done the upgrade and had consistently good results. Between my Orbea Gain and Turbo Creo, I have done exactly zero software/firmware upgrades ever. The bike companies and bike shops are still new at this, they don't do a very good job, and if it's working as designed, I don't want to break it. My Orbea LBS mechanic (30+ years experience) told me he will only do an upgrade if the customer asks for it.

All these bikes with motor/battery systems have been engineered to a fare-thee-well, and any improvements (more power, better range, less battery consumption) via software will be incremental at best. There is no "wow, we change this one parameter and we get 10% more battery capacity or 5% more range, with no other detrimental effects".

When I switched from the Gain (hub motor) to the Creo, I was surprised that my range, consumption, etc. was all pretty much the same. Basically, the slightly larger battery of the Creo balanced the ability to continue to use battery power above 20mph, for my style of riding.

FWIW, I'm in the software business, and for my laptops, desktops, etc., I take all the upgrades, because of security risks. And while they are not perfect at it, Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. are all pretty good at testing their code upgrades before releasing.

My rule of thumb is to never ever take software upgrades for my e-bikes unless 1) they are needed to fix something that is broken, 2) the upgrade will provide a capability that I need or want and 3) others have done the upgrade and had consistently good results. Between my Orbea Gain and Turbo Creo, I have done exactly zero software/firmware upgrades ever. The bike companies and bike shops are still new at this, they don't do a very good job, and if it's working as designed, I don't want to break it. My Orbea LBS mechanic (30+ years experience) told me he will only do an upgrade if the customer asks for it.

All these bikes with motor/battery systems have been engineered to a fare-thee-well, and any improvements (more power, better range, less battery consumption) via software will be incremental at best. There is no "wow, we change this one parameter and we get 10% more battery capacity or 5% more range, with no other detrimental effects".

When I switched from the Gain (hub motor) to the Creo, I was surprised that my range, consumption, etc. was all pretty much the same. Basically, the slightly larger battery of the Creo balanced the ability to continue to use battery power above 20mph, for my style of riding.

FWIW, I'm in the software business, and for my laptops, desktops, etc., I take all the upgrades, because of security risks. And while they are not perfect at it, Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, etc. are all pretty good at testing their code upgrades before releasing.
I’ve not had my Creo updated yet, as I’ve been reluctant for this very reason.

I did have my Allant+ updated when Bosch released an update that significantly increased the torque, as I thought that would be worthwhile (and it was, due to the bike’s weight). Ironically, the Allant+ sits in my garage, as I ultimately decided I prefer a lighter bike with less torque.

I took my Vado SL and Creo to the LBS for tuneups a couple of weeks ago. While there, I had the tech update the software. They were both at least 2 versions behind. After the updates, I didn't notice anything different except switching from Sport to Eco seemed a little smoother...but that could be my imagination.
I got charged $35 each for the SW updates. Probably not worth it but YMMV.

I have had the update done on my Creo with RE battery and did not notice any difference in normal riding. I did happen to run my batteries down much lower than normal on a recent ride and I noticed better behavior from the RE battery as it neared the shutoff level in dual mode. The only other time I've been that low, the RE battery would cause an error code and shut the system off when it got to the low level until it was disconnected. I think they just rounded off some of the corner conditions with the upgrade. Most riders would never notice but there are some people who seem to find every corner condition so it should help them.

I have had the update done on my Creo with RE battery and did not notice any difference in normal riding. I did happen to run my batteries down much lower than normal on a recent ride and I noticed better behavior from the RE battery as it neared the shutoff level in dual mode. The only other time I've been that low, the RE battery would cause an error code and shut the system off when it got to the low level until it was disconnected. I think they just rounded off some of the corner conditions with the upgrade. Most riders would never notice but there are some people who seem to find every corner condition so it should help them.
I do agree the RE can get tricky at low battery level. As I do not intend to do any software update to my Vado SL, I might consider updating the software of my Range Extenders.

It is really depressing when you are below 10% of the RE and the battery switches your SL e-bike off and produces strange errors. Compared, I can easily squeeze any of my Vado 6.0 batteries down to 5% with no ill issues.

I have one RE battery at the current x.3.1D version and the shop forgot to update the other one that is at version x.3.14 but I will probably get it updated before I will ever need to run low again. I assume the "Improved battery safety features" is part of the RE behavior at low levels and probably needs both batteries at the current firmware level. If you ride very often with a RE very low you might want to think about the update.

BATTERY FIRMWARE RELEASES (From the link in Mission Control)

Bike:
Levo SL/ Kenevo SL/ Creo SL/ Vado SL/ Como SL

Battery firmware x.4.1E/ x.3.1D (Main / RE) (The x. seems to be related to a mfg batch. I have one RE at 0. and one at 2.)

Release date: 15/11/2022

Features:
  • New features for the battery pack diagnostic
  • Improved battery safety features

Fixes:
  • No additional fixes

I do agree the RE can get tricky at low battery level. As I do not intend to do any software update to my Vado SL, I might consider updating the software of my Range Extenders.

It is really depressing when you are below 10% of the RE and the battery switches your SL e-bike off and produces strange errors. Compared, I can easily squeeze any of my Vado 6.0 batteries down to 5% with no ill issues.
Is there a way to only update the firmware on the RE and NOT the main battery? I thought that they needed the bike along with the RE to do the update. I remember asking since I figured I would just drop off the RE for an update when I forgot to take it along. They said they needed the bike, too.

?????

I
Hmmm? I thought they were just connecting their computer to the RE?!
@Allan47.7339 can you remember the details?
I don't know how they update the RE's as I just dropped the bike off in the shop. I had one RE connected and the second RE in the other bottle cage but I was not clear to the shop I had two and needed them both updated. Only the connected RE was updated.

I have one RE battery at the current x.3.1D version and the shop forgot to update the other one that is at version x.3.14 but I will probably get it updated before I will ever need to run low again. I assume the "Improved battery safety features" is part of the RE behavior at low levels and probably needs both batteries at the current firmware level. If you ride very often with a RE very low you might want to think about the update.

BATTERY FIRMWARE RELEASES (From the link in Mission Control)

Bike:
Levo SL/ Kenevo SL/ Creo SL/ Vado SL/ Como SL

Battery firmware x.4.1E/ x.3.1D (Main / RE) (The x. seems to be related to a mfg batch. I have one RE at 0. and one at 2.)

Release date: 15/11/2022

Features:
  • New features for the battery pack diagnostic
  • Improved battery safety features

Fixes:
  • No additional fixes

So my RE is unsafe? I haven't updated. Seems hard to believe that an update making something more safe wouldn't be addressed by a recall type event by Specialized.

So my RE is unsafe? I haven't updated. Seems hard to believe that an update making something more safe wouldn't be addressed by a recall type event by Specialized.
You don't understand. More SAFE is not necessarily better than less SAFE which was already SAFE. Or something like that!!! ;)
:eek:

You have to view the term "safety" in context. I read it as "Improved the function of the battery protection features for a better riding experience". The battery safety feature protects the battery from rider abuse. I found it shut down the RE battery more gracefully at the end of the RE battery level. My past experience at low battery level on a double century, it would throw an error code or turn off the system. I'm sure if it was a charging issue or something serious they would have a completely different response. The change log was probably written by a software engineer not a lawyer.

Back