New Firmware for multiple bikes. Only updatable via the bike shop

I would update my REs for the "more gracefully shutdown". Will give Specialized a phone call on Monday to get the info if it is enough to bring Range Extenders for the update to them. The current weather discourages me from long Vado SL rides!

You don't understand. More SAFE is not necessarily better than less SAFE which was already SAFE. Or something like that!!! ;)
:eek:

'More SAFE is not necessarily better than less SAFE which was already SAFE'. :)

So if given the choice Kahn - you'd choose less safe? Anyway, I agree there are degrees of safety. Just playing devils advocate. Any lawyer would have a field day on a case where a rider was injured by an RE that wasn't considered quite as safe as the manufacturer knows it could be. imho

Well, Karl, I think Range Extenders are safe in the terms of stability. It is just the matter you expect the RE work down to 5% of the charge then switch to the main battery. Now, you are in the front of an overpass in dense traffic and you realise the system shut off the SL bike at 10% (instead of switching to the main battery) just because of a software flaw. That is unsafe.

'More SAFE is not necessarily better than less SAFE which was already SAFE'. :)

So if given the choice Kahn - you'd choose less safe? Anyway, I agree there are degrees of safety. Just playing devils advocate. Any lawyer would have a field day on a case where a rider was injured by an RE that wasn't considered quite as safe as the manufacturer knows it could be. imho
There is another kind of safety, one of great concern to my senior citizen neighbors: their fear of LI battery fires. Charging to 80% as a feature can be helpful when dealing with frightened seniors. Especially those on a condo owner’s board.

There is another kind of safety, one of great concern to my senior citizen neighbors: their fear of LI battery fires. Charging to 80% as a feature can be helpful when dealing with frightened seniors. Especially those on a condo owner’s board.
There is so much lithium in this house (not the drug kind) and probably many others these days that we all could be declared potential bomb scenes!

So, I just had the update done...first time w/o the Extender Battery and then a second time with it plugged in. This is the procedure if you have the Extender Battery. When I got back home, the Mission Control "device update" table was blank, just "-" before batteries (main and extended) , motor and display. HOWEVER, I rebooted my phone and Mission Control and turned the bike on WITHOUT the Extender Battery attached, and I got all the firmware numbers (except the Extender Battery, which was not connected) and a green bar at the bottom stating"all firmware up to date". I again connected the Extender Battery and got blanks in the table again. I also noticed that the Extender Battery does not show hardware or firmware info, but it does show charge state and cycles....

I know folks were observing the device update table being blank after the update.....any ideas short of another visit to the store...or is that even necessary??

It's probably not necessary to go back. I have to take my Creo in again at some point to get my second RE updated but it's only missing the latest revision and seems to work fine with the bike firmware updates. Overall the updates work much better than before when you forget or don't recharge and end up near the bottom of your batteries before you get home. Recently it was with my less updated RE and it was fine.

It's probably not necessary to go back. I have to take my Creo in again at some point to get my second RE updated but it's only missing the latest revision and seems to work fine with the bike firmware updates. Overall the updates work much better than before when you forget or don't recharge and end up near the bottom of your batteries before you get home. Recently it was with my less updated RE and it was fine.
You are tempting me to make a trip to the shop with Creo and both RE's! But with the current forecast - maybe that would be a good use of the RAIN!!!

I was able to get a Specialized Service Rep on the phone and explained what I saw. He was able to look at the firmware update history using my serial # and confirmed all my updates were successfully done, including the Extender Battery. Guess I am good. He did have me reinstall the app on my phone (it was updated yesterday) , but no difference. He wrote a service ticket, maybe a new bug?

Im going to leave as is and we’ll see if Mission Control eventually reports the firmware versions with the Extender Battery connected

Update....I got ONE message this morning on the Mission Control app that a firmware upgrade was available, although all the firmware has been confirmed upgraded....Again, pulling the Extender and rebooting showed everything perfect and updated...So I asked my LBS to recheck the Extender Battery , (which he did this afternoon), and again it confirms the Extender has the latest firmware...it won't even let you refresh it.......My LBS thinks the Mission Control app has a bug......

Luv the computer world......where the customer more often than not is the final quality control inspector!

I occasionally get messages in my Specialized app that there is a firmware update that only the dealer can do. However, the message isn't constant and soon clears (and I only see it infrequently). I've been into my lbs, and they checked and there are no needed updates. I've always assumed this is just a bug in the specialized app.

Other folks now reporting the same issue with the firmware versions not displaying when the Extended Battery plugged in…..

Back