New Spec App?

Yep. I tried the new app, and it dropped off 30 miles into a 40 mile ride. I was trying out the Smart distance management and it reverted to manual mode selection. I was going to try it again, but with others having the same problem I think I’ll stick with the BLEvo app.
Yes, that is a very interesting observation (Blevo works, does not 'drop'), as I too used to use Blevo and never had any of those dropped experiences. It might behove the developers to poke around and figure all that out.

I was trying out the Smart distance management and it reverted to manual mode selection.
Could you tell me Ray where I do find the Smart selection in the new Specialized app?

Yes, that is a very interesting observation (Blevo works, does not 'drop'), as I too used to use Blevo and never had any of those dropped experiences. It might behove the developers to poke around and figure all that out.
BLEvo is good (as long as you ride a non-Mastermind e-bike) but it has some bugs, too. If you use the same BLEvo for two different e-bikes, it will (transparently to you) set the assistance to the last used settings whenever you start recording your ride with the Bike Monitor.

I was testing the 20/80% ECO for my Vado 6.0 on some day. The next time I connected BLEvo to my Vado SL, everything was looking perfect in the Setup, especially the assistance levels. Then I set off for a ride with the Bike Monitor on. My Vado SL could ride very slowly, and the motor was emitting a grating sound. A closer inspection revealed BLEvo had reset my Vado SL to the Vado 6.0 settings, that is 20/80 ECO and 50/80 SPORT, which was ridiculously low as for the Vado SL!

Last edited:
One plus of the new app: When combining "auto pause" and "keep screen on", the old app used to keep the screen on until the first pause (like a stoplight) and then while the recording was paused, the screen would blank, and it would not come back on. With the new app, the screen actually stays on.

As a "combo Mission Control + Ride" I see some new features:
  • Lock menu has the option now to autolock the bike whenever the app isn't connected, making your phone sort of like a key.
  • The "tune" menu is more user friendly.
  • Map that displays while recording looks new. I need to take it for a ride to see if it's better
  • Record screen is now split with stats and map instead of that being tabs
  • The configuration of the TCD screen shows you exactly what you'll get on the bike
And some missing features:
  • It doesn't show new records like the ride app (e.g. new longest ride, new 5 min power, etc)
  • It doesn't know your max heartrate or FTP and the heartrate/power ride percentage displays are missing.
  • It doesn't have a dark mode
  • The old app had settings for auto-pausing ride recordings when you stop, keeping the screen always-on, etc. I don't know how that will play out while recording with the new app because I don't see settings for that.
The new graph is a good idea, but the performance is terrible and there's no zooming so it was useless for analyzing a 30 mile ride I did yesterday.

It does not like to coexist with mission control, so don't try to open both (they won't both connect).

It also froze up (seeming to lose connection to the bike) fairly quickly while I was playing with it and I had to force-stop it. I hope it's the weird combination of things I did (playing with the tune, locking and unlocking, etc) but the real test is a full ride record.

If it can record rides okay then I would consider it a 100% replacement for Mission Control (for my Tero X, see other posts above re older bikes) and maybe a 90% replacement for Ride
Yes the auto lock feature works but the auto unlock doesn’t!

Could you tell me Ray where I do find the Smart selection in the new Specialized app?
Sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation, and came home with Covid, so I’m still catching up.

I owe an apology to anyone misled by my comment about the new app. It seems I was confused, and had been using the Mission Control app when I had that problem. 🤦‍♂️

I just realized that the new app is _not_ saving heart rate data when recording rides. I'm set up the same way as before (HR paired to bike, visible on bike) but HR is not in the .fit file. I thought it was just unable to display it in the ride review, but it's actually not there at all.

Other than that, I've been pretty happy with the new app. The mixed map/stats screen while riding is great. The screen stays on when I want it to stay on.

New version 1.2.0 available

New Features:

• The ride recording, auto-unlock, and add a bike processes have been improved
  • Tool tips have been added to the post-ride summary screens
  • The scrubbing experience on the post-ride summary has been simplified
  • Mileage delineations on the post-ride analysis are now displayed in whole numbers
  • Multiple under-the-hood and usability improvements

Bug Fixes:

• The advanced diagnostics screen is now loading as expected
  • Riders will now receive a message confirming that their new bike lock PIN has been saved
  • Minor app crash fixes were implemented

New version 1.2.0 available

New Features:

• The ride recording, auto-unlock, and add a bike processes have been improved
  • Tool tips have been added to the post-ride summary screens
  • The scrubbing experience on the post-ride summary has been simplified
  • Mileage delineations on the post-ride analysis are now displayed in whole numbers
  • Multiple under-the-hood and usability improvements

Bug Fixes:

• The advanced diagnostics screen is now loading as expected
  • Riders will now receive a message confirming that their new bike lock PIN has been saved
  • Minor app crash fixes were implemented
On my Apple devices, I had to delete the app first. Otherwise, it wouldn’t update to the new version.

So, I updated to the new version, and my info is as displayed on screenshot. 23,145 charge cycles and 1,097,655.7 miles!!!
In actuality, I have 5,300 miles.
New Spec App Erronous Reading.PNG

So, I updated to the new version, and my info is as displayed on screenshot. 23,145 charge cycles and 1,097,655.7 miles!!!
In actuality, I have 5,300 miles.
View attachment 161116
Just think of all the new world records you can document now. Your average speed must be several hundred mph, longest lasting battery ever, least drivetrain wear per mile, untouchable endurance athlete record …

I’ll wait a while longer before trying the new app again.

So this version writes directly to Apple Health- good! Yet it doesn’t record HR even though it shows on the head unit- bad! Presumably that will be enabled in a future update. Seems like they released this app a few months too soon.

Went for a ride last night and the app didn't know about power output (for live stats or recording). If that's going to be intermittent that's a big bummer.

As a "combo Mission Control + Ride" I see some new features:
  • Lock menu has the option now to autolock the bike whenever the app isn't connected, making your phone sort of like a key.
  • The "tune" menu is more user friendly.
  • Map that displays while recording looks new. I need to take it for a ride to see if it's better
  • Record screen is now split with stats and map instead of that being tabs
  • The configuration of the TCD screen shows you exactly what you'll get on the bike
And some missing features:
  • It doesn't show new records like the ride app (e.g. new longest ride, new 5 min power, etc)
  • It doesn't know your max heartrate or FTP and the heartrate/power ride percentage displays are missing.
  • It doesn't have a dark mode
  • The old app had settings for auto-pausing ride recordings when you stop, keeping the screen always-on, etc. I don't know how that will play out while recording with the new app because I don't see settings for that.
The new graph is a good idea, but the performance is terrible and there's no zooming so it was useless for analyzing a 30 mile ride I did yesterday.

It does not like to coexist with mission control, so don't try to open both (they won't both connect).

It also froze up (seeming to lose connection to the bike) fairly quickly while I was playing with it and I had to force-stop it. I hope it's the weird combination of things I did (playing with the tune, locking and unlocking, etc) but the real test is a full ride record.

If it can record rides okay then I would consider it a 100% replacement for Mission Control (for my Tero X, see other posts above re older bikes) and maybe a 90% replacement for Ride
Hey Ben, dark mode has been added to the Specialized app as of the latest release v1.3.0

the latest release v1.3.0
I hope that's not what broke the display/recording of power data. Looks like I auto-upgraded to 1.3. I see the release notes say "riders may be prompted to re-add their bike to the app" so I might do that deliberately to see if it fixes the problem.

Poking around, I see 1.3 also added import from Garmin Connect and Wahoo ELEMNT

Charge limit feature is available!
Version 1.4.0

We've listened and have included the much-requested Charge Limit feature! In addition to helping keep your bike battery healthy, we've also fixed a few bugs and incorporated a few design and usability improvements.

Based on comments here about the Specialized app, I've held off on downloading it and continued using Mission Control and Ride. With the availability of Version1.4.0, I decided to give it a try. The new version looks clean and simple and I'm guessing I won't need Mission Control or Ride. A few questions:

-- Is there a way to save multiple custom user presets? I understand about dragging the three colored dots, but once set, can they be saved as a preset? MC of course has the capability of saving multiple user presets.

-- Is there any reason to keep Mission Control and Ride installed on my iPhone? Other than the presets I saved in MC, all of the saved data seems to be present in Specialized. (I understand that MC and the new app can't both be open at the same time.)

-- The MC Auto-Start setting seems to be missing in Specialized. There is now an Auto-Pause setting (which was missing in MC). Have users here found that the Auto-Pause feature works properly? (RideWithGPS has Auto-Pause which I use and appreciate.)

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
The MC Auto-Start setting seems to be missing in Specialized. There is now an Auto-Pause setting (which was missing in MC). Have users here found that the Auto-Pause feature works properly? (RideWithGPS has Auto-Pause which I use and appreciate.)
I think "auto-start" and "auto-pause" were the same thing? I manually start with both apps and use their respective settings to auto-pause, and it works fine. Beware the new app has a few ride recording specific settings in a ... menu only available from the recording page.

I think the new app auto-pause is even better than the old, because it works correctly with "keep screen on while recording". The old one would let the screen blank during the first auto-pause and that was it. The new one keeps it on correctly.

Hoping 1.4 restores heart rate recording.

Reactions: CLR
Back