Rumors, from the inside

GuruUno

Well-Known Member
I hear this on the grapevine, but here in the US, NJ anyway, e-bike sales have plummeted, a 90% drop in sales mostly because of state licensing rules and a lot of bad publicity, which has prompted the info which I was shared 2 days ago that some Specialized dealers will be unloading their inventory of e-bikes to Upway (https://upway.co/).
One might think that they will exit the e-bike industry, at least here in the US.
Bummer.
Given this info, I'm putting on hold any considerations to make any new purchases and may even consider obtaining some 'spare parts' (within reason). Bummer. I'm sure that in Europe and elsewhere it's probably a non-issue, but nonetheless, sharing the news.
 
Big bike manufacturers have big PR budgets. Maybe now they'll put some PR into educating the public, the media, and especially the regulators on the key distinctions between legal ebikes and other 2-wheeled EVs.
 
I cannot divulge the source of the risk of all the things that happen to source leakers. In 6 month, look back and call me a conspiraspy theorist or a crystal ball reader.
Indeed same what I heard from my sources... The guys in Arnhem are also not sure what is going to happen to the business unit here....

Sales is currently stabilizing, some markets are still very poor (southern Europe) where the German an Benelux markets are picking up again. Nordics are also not going great.

I also heard PON.bike is also looking at the USA situation...
 
I cannot wait for a Netflix series "How Dutch conglomerates killed the cycling industry". S1E1: "The Accell Group". S1E2: "PON Bikes".
 
From my small family retailer group perspective, the entry to mid range road e-bike sales are going well, but almost all of the sales are by the "new names" in the industry. Velotric. Urtopia. Troxus. Aventon. Sales are down from last year. but the voucher program is over, so that was expected. Still steady. The high end road e-bike sales, i.e. Nytro, are almost gone. On the e-MTB side, sales are up over last year, mainly because of the emergence of the AMFLOW dealer model. We still sell plenty of Orbea, Mondraker, and a few Cannondales like before, so adding AMFLOW has been a net positive. The price points across these lines are effective. On the analog side, all price points have exploded. From kid's bikes to commuter bikes to used bikes to MTB's to mid and high end road bikes, it's looking like another record year. The high end road bikes have hit it out of the park. At one point we had a dozen Pinarello Dogma's on the floor. These are $15K-$17K bikes. More than half are gone. Adding X-Lab, and enabling Cannondale's buy online, ship to shop channel have also increased sales.

It's hard to draw meaningful conclusions from spotty empirical data. I'll wait to hear from NBDA, Bicycle Retailer, etc. as the year starts to end. From my extremely narrow view, e-bikes have become accepted in our area, but there is impending legislation that is going to dampen the market. There's no doubt that it's coming. On the flip side, Class 1 and maybe Class 2 bikes should continue to sell well. Most of these bikes are ridden primarily for transportation, so that's a good thing. Class 3 bikes, though, if licensing, registration, and insurance are required, will slowly die. As for the analog bikes, I think there may be a resurgence of bike riding for pleasure and exercise that is growing. The Cape continues to invest heavily in the bike path/rail trail system. Another $1M bridge is going up next month to extend the CCRT westward into Hyannis. I may be able to ride to work soon. It seems like every day I work, someone comes in with a bike that they pulled out of the basement and they want it tuned up. Every one of those customers is a future new bike customer, and that could be analog or electric.

My two cents.
 
Back