New Firmware for multiple bikes. Only updatable via the bike shop

Fairly new Turbo Tero owner here - I am not the original owner but have the original sales receipt and am the registered owner on the specialized site. There is still over a year remaining on the 2 year (not original owner) warranty. Is it normal for a local bike shop to charge for firmware updates while under warranty? Same question for the "free" change from a type 1 to type 3 switch. Doesn't sound right for me. Thanks

Doubly fun when you have two range extenders!!!!
I didn't take my range extender yesterday when I had the update done. I connected it to my bike this morning and Mission Control shows that an update for it is available. How dumb that I didn't take it with me!

Last edited:
I didn't take my range extender yesterday when I had the update done. I connected it to my bike this morning and Mission Control shows that an update for it is available. How dumb that I didn't take it with me!
Sorry you overlooked the RE. How long did it take for the update? I'd like to plan an excursion to my shop. Although, I can walk there/home some planning might help.

Sorry you overlooked the RE. How long did it take for the update? I'd like to plan an excursion to my shop. Although, I can walk there/home some planning might help.
@kahn,

I went back to the bike shop this morning and they updated the RE. It took about ten minutes. I brought the bike with me, but it wasn't needed. They did need the bike serial number to do the RE update. Yesterday, when they did the bike update, I left it there for half an hour. I'm guessing the actual update took 10-15 minutes. Mission Control now shows all firmware as being current.

accidental double insertion
I got the firmware update today, but service from Specialized leaves something to be desired.

I purchased my Vado SL 5.0 in September, 2021, from a dealer that's ten minutes (via bike) from my house in Berkeley, CA. It's Mike's Bikes, and they have 14 stores in the San Francisco Bay Area. They sell a number of high-end brands. Within a month of when I bought my Vado, Specialized gave Mike's an ultimatum--sell only Specialized or they couldn't be a dealer anymore. Mike's decided not to be pushed around by Specialized and ended their very long and profitable relationship with them. Mike's assured me that they would support my Vado through October, 2022, which they did. That included one firmware update a few months ago.

When I got the Specialized email about the current firmware update, I asked Mike's if they would do it. Unfortunately they can't. So I clicked the link in the Specialized email and searched for dealers, sorted by distance from my ZIP code. The first shop on the list told me they are a custom bike builder and don't sell Specialized bikes. The second on the list didn't answer the phone and said to leave a message. I left a message but they didn't call back. The third on the list said they don't service bikes. The fourth on the list said they could do the update, so that's where I went today--12 miles from home. Because I hadn't purchased the bike there, they charged me $50. I don't mind being charged, but $50 for something that takes 5-10 minutes seemed high. It would seem to me that in the interest of customer goodwill, Specialized would cover the cost of firmware updates and reimburse dealers a small amount for proving that service. (Maybe I live in an alternate universe.)

In the future, I hope that Specialized makes all firmware updates available over the air, through the app, or via a USB connection to a laptop. I wonder if other brands--Trek?--let users update firmware themselves.
The LBS I bought my Vado SL from was sold to Trek and no longer supports Specialized. I had the last update done at another Specialized dealer. They charge me $50 bucks too. Though I’d rather not have paid for the update, I didn’t really mind. After all, labor is often not covered by the warranty and the update is all labor. Not much labor, but almost all service centers for almost anything have a minimum fee. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

OTOH, the need to go to a dealer for updates is annoying. I‘ve watched the update being performed. It required removal of the TCD and a wired connection with a device that loaded the update. I suspect that the version of bluetooth used by the bikes doesn’t support the bandwidth required for performing the update in a timely manner. Updating my car‘s info system (it’s a 2018 Honda) requires a usb drive and 4 hours. As someone said Specialized may have been following the automobile industry model. I believe the current bikes can be updated through Mission Control. Shame there hasn’t been an update that allows DIY updates.

I got the firmware update today, but service from Specialized leaves something to be desired.

Because I hadn't purchased the bike there, they charged me $50. I don't mind being charged, but $50 for something that takes 5-10 minutes seemed high. It would seem to me that in the interest of customer goodwill, Specialized would cover the cost of firmware updates and reimburse dealers a small amount for proving that service. (Maybe I live in an alternate universe.)

In the future, I hope that Specialized makes all firmware updates available over the air, through the app, or via a USB connection to a laptop. I wonder if other brands--Trek?--let users update firmware themselves.
Sorry about your hassle. I wish you had an alternative to that shop. My cost: $15 at my nearest Specialized shop. But I wonder what will happen next time, as this particular shop also carries Trek. I wonder how long Spec will let them operate like that.

So all this begs the question.... I'm assuming there isn't some place that I could possibly download firmware and utility and do it myself unofficially?

I can't imagine doing any firmware update to my 14 month old SL4. It's never given me any issue and just turned 5k miles. I'd consider updating my RE batt but can anyone tell me if the update makes a difference in performance or longevity?

Same here in Germany. For the first inspection or the first year a FW update is normally included. Later the Shops charge about 40-45 €. As one hour at a good LBS with taxes, security, etc. is already 120-140 € here, the price for the amount of work would be fine for me. For an important work that needs a real qualification and that I myself can't do. Not for FW updates that other brands install automatically or by the customer and which come without any "plan" or "previsibility" as they like it. I had two times a FW update installed by the LBS and a few days later Specialized anounced a new one... :-(

A firmware update make a difference in performance or longevity? How about replacement of a new motor? My SL 4.0 at 2 months past the 2 year warranty for the motor needed replacement. Luckily I had a battery check done at my LBS at around the 2 year mark. From that hookup Specialized was able to see problems with my motor and approved the new motor. So every time your bike is given a software update or battery check there is data available apparently, so for me it worked out.

I can't imagine doing any firmware update to my 14 month old SL4. It's never given me any issue and just turned 5k miles. I'd consider updating my RE batt but can anyone tell me if the update makes a difference in performance or longevity?
I don’t know the answer with certainty, but I recall an update from Specialized a while back that allowed 100% assist to be used with a lower battery level, instead of limiting assist (something like down to 5% battery, instead of 20%). As that update didn’t apply to my Creo, I’m hoping that is one of the features of this update. It would mean I would seldom need to carry a range extender.

I don’t know the answer with certainty, but I recall an update from Specialized a while back that allowed 100% assist to be used with a lower battery level, instead of limiting assist (something like down to 5% battery, instead of 20%). As that update didn’t apply to my Creo, I’m hoping that is one of the features of this update. It would mean I would seldom need to carry a range extender.

Ok - I'll take it in and give the updates a go. Hopeful.

So first, these are the 'fixes':

MOTOR FIRMWARE RELEASES

Bike: Vado MY20-22 / Como MY20-22 / Tero MY22

Motor Firmware 8.1.5 (Specialized 2.2)

Release date: 15/11/2022
Replaces: 7.4.1/2

Features
  • No additional features
Fixes
  • Bug fix for mis-triggered over current error causing the bike to power off.
  • Bug fix for a better rider feeling

BATTERY FIRMWARE RELEASES

Bike:
Vado MY20-22 / Como MY20-22 / Tero MY22

Battery Firmware x.8.3

Release date: 15/11/2022

Features
  • New features for the battery pack diagnostic
  • Improved safety features
Fixes:
  • No additional fixes
So, I did a 21-mile ride today, and the Bug fix for a better rider feeling was a definite "new" feeling.
Very hard to describe, but on any given day that I ride my preference is to set Mission Control into "Smart Control", and pre-determine my anticipated distance (usually 25mi-45mi is my setting) and go.
Today, it was 33 degrees, and upon return from the 21-mile ride, I had 49% battery remaining and I set the expected distance in Smart Control to 35mi before I left.
The assistance felt definitely different from the previous rides all year. It felt like I had to work a little harder and it did not have that rubber band zippy acceleration I've grown accustomed to.
Nonetheless, I will continue to experiment and hopefully have more as the week goes on.

I'd consider updating my RE batt but can anyone tell me if the update makes a difference in performance or longevity?
I own 4 Range Extenders now. Only the original one (the first I bought together with my Vado SL) is flawless. All other three have issues below 10% charge, like switching the e-bike off and the like. When I find time, I will ride to Specialized to update all of them.

So, as a follow-up specific to this thread...I've done several rides since the new firmware was installed (well over 100+ miles) and the "feelings" have either been absorbed by my brain or are non-existent as initially described. If anything, very similar or maybe a tad better than before. What I'm alluding to is that depending on what I set "Smart Control" to (whether it be 25, 35 45, or 50 miles), it makes a definite difference in the "feel" of assistance.
Hard to describe, but again, seems fine, with no negatives. :)

So, as a follow-up specific to this thread...I've done several rides since the new firmware was installed (well over 100+ miles) and the "feelings" have either been absorbed by my brain or are non-existent as initially described. If anything, very similar or maybe a tad better than before. What I'm alluding to is that depending on what I set "Smart Control" to (whether it be 25, 35 45, or 50 miles), it makes a definite difference in the "feel" of assistance.
Hard to describe, but again, seems fine, with no negatives. :)
Thanks for letting everyone know. I have been putting the update off.

Back