New Favorite Tire - Schwalbe Hurricane

I'm interested to try Hurricanes on 42-622 wheels of my touring e-bike. Marathons E-Plus for that size turned out to be excellent on road and gravel but appeared to be problematic on dirt and shallow sand. Did you try to ride some off-road on Hurricanes, @Alaskan? What type of terrain? What tyre size?

I'm interested to try Hurricanes on 42-622 wheels of my touring e-bike. Marathons E-Plus for that size turned out to be excellent on road and gravel but appeared to be problematic on dirt and shallow sand. Did you try to ride some off-road on Hurricanes, @Alaskan? What type of terrain? What tyre size?
The Hurricane is fine for hard-packed dirt and gravel roads. Less good for softer dirt and sand, and not at all good for very muddy roads.

The Hurricane is fine for hard-packed dirt and gravel roads. Less good for softer dirt and sand, and not at all good for very muddy roads.
....and it is superb on paved surfaces, extremely quiet and easy rolling, great traction on both dry and wet pavement, better on roads than the Super Moto X and way better off road as described by @Mr. Coffee.

I just installed new chain, cassette, chain ring, and brake pads on my Delite Mountain as well as replaced the front fork and rear shock with the Fox Factory Float Kashmina fork with an added 10mm of range and the rear shock upgrade as well. I put the Fox performance fork and shock off the Delite on Nancy's Homage, which took the travel from 80mm to 100mm. What else should a cyclist do while waiting for an inflamed tendon in the foot to resolve? The final addition to the Delite Mountain was a pair of 27.5x2.6 Schwalbe Johnny Watts. I will post my impression once my foot is better and I have gone on a few rides with it.

download.jpg

....and it is superb on paved surfaces, extremely quiet and easy rolling, great traction on both dry and wet pavement, better on roads than the Super Moto X and way better off road as described by @Mr. Coffee.

I just installed new chain, cassette, chain ring, and brake pads on my Delite Mountain as well as replaced the front fork and rear shock with the Fox Factory Float Kashmina fork with an added 10mm of range and the rear shock upgrade as well. I put the Fox performance fork and shock off the Delite on Nancy's Homage, which took the travel from 80mm to 100mm. What else should a cyclist do while waiting for an inflamed tendon in the foot to resolve? The final addition to the Delite Mountain was a pair of 27.5x2.6 Schwalbe Johnny Watts. I will post my impression once my foot is better and I have gone on a few rides with it.
View attachment 79944
My next Spring tire set! ;)

I shall be (schwalbe?) curious how that goes. Their site is not good guiding you to what tires are/are not tubeless ready. Unless I'm an idiot and they all are.
They should be more specific, true. A good guideline is a tyre being "folding" (as opposite to "wired"). Typically, a folding tyre is tubeless ready. In this context, Johnny Watts are tubeless ready ("folding tyre") and Smart Sam or Hurricane are not ("wired tyres").

Once my brother did the tubeless setup on my Trance wheels, he tells me not to go back to tubes. The things should be easy as he put no sealant into Ice Spiker Pros for the winter.

Looks like we may need to form a Johnny Watt sub-forum! ;)
We should at least make a new thread in "Parts and Accesories" :)

Going back to my original question on Hurricanes. My Lovelec e-bike allows tyres not bigger than 42-622 (28 x 1.6"). I'd love a low rolling resistance but off-road grip so good my e-bike were not stopped by even thin sand over hard. Perhaps Smart Sams would be the proper choice?

Great review... thanks for posting. ;) I am a big fan of Schwalbe tires with high protection levels that are eBike rated.

Here is another option with a higher Level 7 protection rating and a central rib for the road with side lugs more aggressive off-road traction.

Marathon Plus MTB

View attachment 43748
View attachment 43749
+2 for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB's. I've been using them on 3 of my bikes for 2 seasons now with no issues. The 26x2.25 size however has not been available in the US for some time. I wore out the rear tire on one of the bikes and had to order a replacement from Germany.

@Alaskan, Thanks for posting the info on the Schwalbe Hurricane. I may try them on one of my bikes but the 26x2.25's are also unavailable in the US.

got a set of Schwalbe hurricanes to test out on our tandem. out was hard to find 700 x40's found them in the uk bought from eBay 70.00 for the pair with free shipping. hope I don't miss the flat protection of the other Schwalbe tires we are using.

I put the 29" Hurricane Performance tires on my bike last fall and love them. Very quiet on roads, even with the Tannus Armor inserts. But now I'd like to try mounting them tubeless. Schwalbe sells the same tire, Hurricane Performance Rigid Black as tubeless ready in the 27.5" size but no mention of tubeless for the 29" size. Anyone try mounting the 20" tires tubeless?

Back