New eBike owner in the UK

GeeJay

Hi folks - newbie member here, so please be gentle!

At nearly 59 years ‘young’, I’m taking early retirement and so am thinking about plans for the future. I used to love cycling (I still have my Dawes Galaxy from 1976!), however due to a dodgy knee and some middle-aged spread (!), find hills a little bit more difficult (we live in a hilly part of Kent) and am keen to get riding again.

Following an almost nerdy amount of research, test rides on multiple ebikes and visiting various eBike shops, I finally took the plunge on Friday and ordered a Riese & Müller GH Vario Supercharger with Kiox display from ‘Fully Charged’ in Bermondsey Street in London (5 mins walk from London Bridge Station)’.

The many features that drew me to this bike include the Bosch CX motor and battery/display system (2 x Bosch in-tube 500W Li ion batteries), a gates carbon fibre belt (instead of a chain) and a NuVinci/EnViolo CVT instead of derailleur and rides really nicely - more a ‘cruiser’. It has air shocks in the forks and a ‘thudbuster’ under the saddle to absorb pothole vibrations. Nice big Schwalbe Moto-X tyres also help the bike to absorb bumps and it can be ridden offroad as well.

Here’s a photo of the demonstrator that I rode (I also rode a E14 Rohloff version as well, but preferred the smoother (to me) EnViolo transmission gear shifts);

MwIyLCz.jpg

Im looking forward to getting out on my bike again, and as I still need to peddle, I see it as a good way of getting about (fewer short journeys by car) as well as getting exercise. Interesting that in Holland approx. 1in 3 bikes sold is an eBike......

Anyone have a similar Riese & Müller eBike, and if so, how are you getting on with it?

All the best. George.

George ...
Welcome to the EBR Forum. Your comments on the R&M Supercharger are most interesting. It's a beautiful bike with both batteries fully integrated. For reasons relating to ease of mounting (read old age!), I chose the 2019 Homage with Rohloff E-14. It was ordered on the last day of August and I have been informed that it should be built in week 48 (meaning late November) so it might just, with some luck, be with me before the end of 2018. Apparently, the Kiox display is in short supply (must blame something!).

To more important nostalgic forms of transport: please, tell us all about the beautiful Kombi. I owned a high-roof van version of the same vintage back when they were the latest offering from VW. Oh, why didn't I keep it!
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the kind welcome David! Yes, I also tried a R&M with E-14 Rohloff to compare against the Enviolo transmission - I’ve written a short summary on the R&M tab of this forum. For me, I found that whilst both hubs were fantastic (and I’d say that the E-14 is technically superior with 560 degrees of gearing (vs ‘only’ 380 for the Enviolo), lighter weight and more robust (the bike shop I use gets faulty enviolo hubs back but not Rohloffs)), the Enviolo better suited my riding style and effortless ‘comfort cruiser’ that I’m looking for.

My bike is also due to be a week 48 build, but no mention of delays due to Kiox availability yet. We may well be picking our bikes up at the same time! Let’s compare notes when we get the bikes.....

Yes, the T2. It’s a purchase that my wife made with her sister earlier this year, and they’ve spent time having it restored (bodywork, respray and new VW Heritage tuned engine). It’s called ‘Bluebell’ and I believe is a 1978 model. Although it’s right hand drive, I believe it spent the first part of its life in Holland, and was brought to the UK in the nineties. It’s in fairly good condition and is ‘interesting’ to drive! 2nd gear is hit and miss sometimes, gear throws are long, no power steering takes getting used to (after having been cosseted in a modern car) and because it’s on small rims, bottoms out on the multiple tall traffic calming humps here in the UK. So far, they’ve taken it round Brittany and have also been to Camperjam in it. Although it doesn’t need an MOT (I believe this is old enough to be classed as a VHI - Vehicle of Historical Importance), the ladies still have it serviced, MOTed and checked over regularly. As long as it’s driven with mechanical sympathy and not rushed along though, it drives well and is a lot of fun! My wife and I are looking at getting a Campervan for ourselves and have been looking at VW T6 California and Transporter van conversions. The whole diesel/petrol debacle is affecting our decision though, and as there are no e versions yet, it would mean making a tough decision.

Thanks again David - I appreciate your reply and interest.

ATB. George.

Absolutely right Chris! I’ve researched the heck out of this, watched most of Court’s and Citrus Cycles’ videos, read countless reviews and drooled over brochures, tried multiple ebikes, dithered for weeks over whether to make purchase (huge investment, worry of security/theft, concern whether it will be used a lot and not just a ‘shiny toy’ in the garage), however with retirement now in sight, I have the time to ride and enjoy cycling again.

I certainly will share photos, etc. when I get it, and am looking forward to taking the train ride to London in December to pick it up!

ATB.George.

Must be a bit like a kid anticipating Christmas!
Christmas 2018 or 2019? This is Riese & Müller! Seriously, we might just be fortunate and have our bikes before year's end.

That really is a good-looking bike in your photo, George.

I like the Fabric water bottles on the Supercharger's head tube. I tried attaching a Fabric bottle to my handlebar but found that the downward force needed to locate the bottle properly was sufficient to rotate the mount around the tube. That idea was ditched in favour of a magnetic/twist-coupling Fidlock bottle. A Fabric tool/tube keg could fit on Supercharger's seat tube.
... David

I too am awaiting a new supercharger with Kiox and e-14 from Onbike in Worcester. Mine is planned for sometime in November but I am reliably informed that RM is moving the factory at Christmas and is trying to get all their orders out before then so may come early.
I am an ebike veteran of 5 years and have owned a few so putting together all the best bits of my other bikes the supercharger is the only one that has everything in one package. Pricey tho..

Absolutely right Chris! I’ve researched the heck out of this, watched most of Court’s and Citrus Cycles’ videos, read countless reviews and drooled over brochures, tried multiple ebikes, dithered for weeks over whether to make purchase (huge investment, worry of security/theft, concern whether it will be used a lot and not just a ‘shiny toy’ in the garage), however with retirement now in sight, I have the time to ride and enjoy cycling again.

I certainly will share photos, etc. when I get it, and am looking forward to taking the train ride to London in December to pick it up!

ATB.George.
Hey George. There are no dealers near me so havnt been able to try one but like you I have researched this to the point of obsession. The only fly in this ointment is the weight which is as considerable as the price but the videos hardly mention it so how did you find the weight during your test rides? I have added weight to the saddlebags on my current 20kg e-bike to try to simulate the 30kg of the supercharger but its not the same as riding one.
Any thoughts?

Hi Pete,

When I brought the bikes back to the shop after the demo rides, I did indeed ‘feel the weight’ as I tried to get them up the 5 steps to the showroom. Boy, oh boy were they heavy, and I did indeed struggle to get them up unassisted! The Rohloff is a few pounds lighter than the Enviololo, but at approx 30kg, they are no carbon fibre Pinarello!

On the road though, this all disappears due to the assist from that marvellous Bosch CX motor, and whichever variant you choose, it will just glide you along in comfort.

There are not many R&M dealers in the UK either, and I had to go to 2 which are not near my house before I found one that I felt that I entrusted to purchase and long term aftercare relationship. It’s also the reason that I will be visiting the shop to collect and do the hand-over, rather than the less reliable courier delivered box to the front door, where you have to straighten the handlebars and attach the pedals, and wonder how you do stuff like adjust the front shocks, etc.

Whatever you do, I hope the bike brings you as much fun as I hope mine brings me!

George.

Hi Pete,
The Rohloff is a few pounds lighter than the Enviololo, but at approx 30kg, they are no carbon fibre Pinarello!

Yikes -- I thought my 52 pounds / 23.5 kg was up there... Does the bike have a Walk Mode for helping on stairs? I found that quite handy on my bike, for one place when I needed to climb 50+ steps to reconnect with the trail.

Christmas 2018 or 2019? This is Riese & Müller! Seriously, we might just be fortunate and have our bikes before year's end.

I like the Fabric water bottles on the Supercharger's head tube. I tried attaching a Fabric bottle to my handlebar but found that the downward force needed to locate the bottle properly was sufficient to rotate the mount around the tube. That idea was ditched in favour of a magnetic/twist-coupling Fidlock bottle. A Fabric tool/tube keg could fit on Supercharger's seat tube.

... David
I bought this to fit one on my emtb. Simple and effective for the fabric bottles on non RM bikes.
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...er-handlebar-water-bottle-cage-clamp/p/04087/
Yikes -- I thought my 52 pounds / 23.5 kg was up there... Does the bike have a Walk Mode for helping on stairs? I found that quite handy on my bike, for one place when I needed to climb 50+ steps to reconnect with the trail.
Yes. It's a Bosch bike so has the walk mode.. Not really a bike for dragging up steps and over styles tho..

That idea was ditched in favour of a magnetic/twist-coupling Fidlock bottle. A Fabric tool/tube keg could fit on Supercharger's seat tube.
... David

My Bulls eMTB doesn't have pre-drilled holes for attaching a water bottle frame so I find the idea of the Fidlock 600ml bottle along with their uni-base quite an attractive alternative. Space on the frame is pretty limited as a result of it's shape and also where the battery is fitted meaning that there is no space for any size of bottle between points A and B (see attached image). If I decide to go ahead and purchase the idea would be to fit it underneath the top bar with the zip ties situated at points B and C i.e. the bottle would be slung underneath the top bar.
From what I have read the security of the bottle would not be compromised in this position as the bottle mounting is quite strong. I would, however, welcome any feedback/comments that you might have before making my final decision. Thanks.

Edit: I did read on one review that the bottle lacked any form of 'O' ring and, therefore, was prone to leaking slightly. Is this also your experience?

Attachments

• Bulls frame.jpg
    Bulls frame.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
George, If you are like most of us geezers around here, you will find yourself riding more often and further than you ever imagined. As a fellow R&M rider, you'll likely have few, if any, regrets about stepping up and shelling out all that extra coin for the best bike likely to meet your needs. I ride a 2018 Homage Rolhoff HS with Fox suspension and my wife rides a Nevo Nuvinci GH. Such solid, great riding bikes!

I imagine riding in the English winter will require a good set of oilies and wellies ;)

... David
David, I don't know if you saw a post I put up on adapting a Riese & Muller Nevo for a pair of Fabrik bottles. It employs a stem cap bottle cage holder and a Wolf Tooth bottle cage doubler. It also works well for the Homage but alas, won't work on a bike with the unique Kiox stem. In case you are curious, here is a LINK TO THE THREAD
20180715_102557.jpg

Deeps ...
You have a challenge on your hands with best place to fit the bottle usurped by the battery! Both Fabric's and Fidlock's systems do address a real problem; however, I'd recommend Fidlock bottles more out of necessity than enthusiasm. Fidlock bottles are not robust (which is presumably why the advertising department had to rebrand them as now been supplied with 'Gravity Kits' - silly little strips of metal that are almost guaranteed to snap).

Top Tube:
  • Anyway, suppose that you did have a Fidlock bottle where the battery is. To release it: twist clockwise with your right hand and lift (more difficult left-handed because the bottle's top would be turning away); to return it place the Fidlock bottle directly over the magnetic studs and let it be grabbed. That's straightforward.
  • Now imagine doing that with the Fidlock bottle under the top tube (C-D). Far too difficult, I think. I'd prefer a Fabric in that position or a conventional bottle carried in a side-release cage such as the Arundel Sideloader or Topeak Dualside. The Topeak X-15 swivel mount might also help.
  • There is of course the radical alternative: put the bottle cage on top of the top tube. Inelegant practicality?
Seat Tube:
  • On my Trek Powerfly 5 eMTB, I use an Arundel Sideloader on the seat tube (A-B) but only for a medium size tool keg from Zefal. It's difficult to remove but that is hardly an everyday problem.
  • Fidlock now have a 450 mL bottle for tight spaces. It is not simply 25% smaller; it appears to be fatter and is, therefore, decidedly shorter. Worth a try - especially as it doesn't come fitted with a Gravity Kit.
Leaking:
  • I've just done an impromptu test by half-filling three water bottles and then shaking them up (with the drinking valves open) over the kitchen sink!
  • Camelbak Jet Wave (high quality but by far the cheapest of the three): not a drop escaped.
  • Fabric: some spillage.
  • Fidlock: more spillage.
... David

A stem cap bottle cage holder and a Wolf Tooth bottle cage doubler...
Alaskan ...
Thanks. Another challenge: the Kiox headset seems to have a securing bolt on the front of the stem. I have a Rixen+Kaul KLICKfix BOTTLEfix (promotions department again!) that might be a good way of fitting the Wolf Tool cage doubler to the stem.

I'll also need to get a wider handlebar bag adapter; maybe, treat the need bike to its own Ortlieb Ultimate6 Pro and leave the other bag on the Trek Powerfly.
... David

I've got the Orlieb Ultimate Pro and love it. You may not have to pay extra for the ebike adapter. The only difference is it is made a bit wider to mount around around the sides of the Intuvia mount which you won't have with the Kiox.

@ Alaskan Dave - can't help but notice the positioning of your folder bike lock which is slipped in at 45° in front of the basket at the back. That doesn't look like a standard housing for the lock, or certainly not any that I've come across and owning the same folding lock, so would you mind enlightening me and maybe a closer image of the setup. Thanks.

@ David Berry - wow that's some comprehensive reply there David so thanks a lot for that. I also own a much tidier looking Centurion E-Fire R2500 for when touring but my local dealership gave me loan of the Bulls Twenty9E1 eMTB shown in the image above whilst the Centurion was in having a service. I can honestly say that I've never had so much fun on a bike as the few hours spent with the Bulls as unrefined as it essentially is. In fact I was reluctant to hand it back and ended up negotiating a deal to keep hold of it which saw me parting with yet more of the hard earned but resulting in ownership of an eMTB for 1/3 of the new price although the Bulls was only several months old with a clock reading of 350km. In short, the Bulls is now my everyday ride for use on a mix of forest tracks/pavement so appearances of any gadgets i.e. water bottles don't feature high on my list of priorities. I can't really see myself grabbing the bottle for a slug of water whilst rotating the peddles like fury like possibly a racer would preferring of course to come to a rest, take in the scenery and have a drink at the same time. We have a very good try and return policy over here so I might well go along with the Fidlock and see how things pan out over a couple of rides. I'll update this thread at some time in the future with any thoughts and post a picture or two. That won't be any time soon though as looking out of the window I see snow falling - the first this year by us although I have a feeling there is plenty more to come on the horizon. :(:(:(

Thanks once again. :)

Back