New eBike owner in the UK

Deeps ...
You have a challenge on your hands with best place to fit the bottle usurped by the battery! Both Fabric's and Fidlock's systems do address a real problem; however, I'd recommend Fidlock bottles more out of necessity than enthusiasm. Fidlock bottles are not robust (which is presumably why the advertising department had to rebrand them as now been supplied with 'Gravity Kits' - silly little strips of metal that are almost guaranteed to snap).

Top Tube:
  • Anyway, suppose that you did have a Fidlock bottle where the battery is. To release it: twist clockwise with your right hand and lift (more difficult left-handed because the bottle's top would be turning away); to return it place the Fidlock bottle directly over the magnetic studs and let it be grabbed. That's straightforward.
  • Now imagine doing that with the Fidlock bottle under the top tube (C-D). Far too difficult, I think. I'd prefer a Fabric in that position or a conventional bottle carried in a side-release cage such as the Arundel Sideloader or Topeak Dualside. The Topeak X-15 swivel mount might also help.
  • There is of course the radical alternative: put the bottle cage on top of the top tube. Inelegant practicality?
Seat Tube:
  • On my Trek Powerfly 5 eMTB, I use an Arundel Sideloader on the seat tube (A-B) but only for a medium size tool keg from Zefal. It's difficult to remove but that is hardly an everyday problem.
  • Fidlock now have a 450 mL bottle for tight spaces. It is not simply 25% smaller; it appears to be fatter and is, therefore, decidedly shorter. Worth a try - especially as it doesn't come fitted with a Gravity Kit.
Leaking:
  • I've just done an impromptu test by half-filling three water bottles and then shaking them up (with the drinking valves open) over the kitchen sink!
  • Camelbak Jet Wave (high quality but by far the cheapest of the three): not a drop escaped.
  • Fabric: some spillage.
  • Fidlock: more spillage.
... David

Informative post here. Fidlock's systems sounds a lot like the SKS Monkey Link system.

@Deeps Alaskan (aka Richard) here. I guess I chose the wrong profile name as we are now residents in Bellingham, Washington. Anyway the little tubular holster rack for the Abus Bordo lock that sits at a 45 degree angle is made by Riese & Muller and comes on several of their bikes including my homage as well as the SuperCharger and Delight.

The rubber lock holster bolts on to it. I replaced that with the one that opens and lifts out rather than the original which the lock has to slide up and out of. A trunk bag gets in the way of taking the lock out with the original while the replacement allows me to lift out the lock without having to remove the trunk bag .

s-l1600.jpg

OK Richard, Alaskan or Bellingham ..........whatever your handle is today. ;);) R & M are located approx 120km to the North of us so might take a ride up to them sometime. On second thought - an email enquiry might be just as good. Thanks for the tip.

Thank you! That’s Admiralty Arch in London.

See the link in my message for more photos of the bike around London (Marble Arch, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Berkeley Square, etc.)........

ATB. George.

WOW, beautiful bike and setting, enjoy your ride. Something doesn't look right with your VW, yes........the peace sign is missing.

WOW, beautiful bike and setting, enjoy your ride. Something doesn't look right with your VW, yes........the peace sign is missing.

Thank you Feliz! The VW is 40 years old, and has just had a restoration done on it, including an original VW Heritage engine refit. Because of its age, in the UK, it counts as a VHI (Vehicle of Historical Importance) and is exempt from road tax and MOT testing. It’s MOTed anyway - more for peace of mind.

ATB. G.

Back