New Battery Option - 48v 25AH

Just wanted everyone to be aware of the thread attached. I've been following it and just pulled the trigger on one.

So evidently there is a new Reention Dorado case out for 2021 that is slightly larger physically in size than the one that came with what Rize used on several of their bikes. The new case uses 21700 cells instead of the 18650 and increases the battery capacity from 48v 19.2ah to 48v 25ah, and cost less than what the price of what Rize charges for one of their batteries.

Will post back and let you know how it goes once I receive it, but just wanted people to know there are new options out there for batteries.

Just got my tracking info and such for the battery I ordered from Jenny. I'll be posting a review when it arrives. :) I am sure you'll love yours I can't wait for the extended range.

Hi all Rize owners, I am Jenny, the sales rep from Shanghai Aijiu Energy Tech.

Thank you @Nashville615 for ordering the upgrade Dorado 21700 48V 25AH battery with us for your Rize RX Pro 2020. Will push the order to be finished and sent away ASAP.

As far as I know Rize, Rize X, Rize RX, Rize RX Pro, City, Leisure, Blade and Liberty in 2020 version all use the Reention Dorado 505L series battery.
When it comes with a 48V 16AH/17AH, it is Dodaro Plus case (with side handle) maximum available for 48V 17.5AH(rated 17AH) by 13S5P 65pcs of Samsung 35E 18650 cells.
When it comes with a 48V 19.2AH/20AH, it is Dorado Max case maximum available for 48V 21AH(rated 20.4AH) by 13S6P 78pcs of Samsung 35E 18650 cells.
All can be upgraded to Dorado 21700 48V 25AH(rated 24AH) by 13S5P 65pcs of Samsung 50E 21700 cells.

The Rize original battery comes with 2PIN discharging port and DC2.1 charging port(max allowing 3A charger). The 4A fasting charger needs the Reention designed 3PIN charging port.

48V 13S 30A BMS will be used for all types ebike, which supports max rated 1000W, peak 1500W motor, also compatible for 750W rated motor.

Pls send your inquiry to [email protected] if you are interested to take a same spare or upgrade battery for your Rize ebikes. Thanks!

1623169358337.png

Attachments

• Dorado Plus+Max+21700.png
    Dorado Plus+Max+21700.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 595
My order was a battery, charger, brackets and a BMS for a side project. But $650usd for just the battery with shipping. Jenny can get you updated prices.

Will depend shipping cost to your location and how you configure it. Mine was $700. See Jenny’s post in this thread

It looks to me like this battery would make sense for any Rize bike that does NOT have a dual battery option. I notice that most of the 2021 Rize bikes have the option to mount a 2nd battery on top of the existing, doubling its range from 15Ah to 30Ah. While the bike would be heavier with 2 batteries, at least you're not setting aside (being useless) if upgrading to the Reention 25Ah battery. The cost of the 2nd battery from Rize is $600 Cdn (or $500 USD), which is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than upgrading to this Reention battery.

Out of curiosity, anyone know if you could still add a 2nd battery on top of the Reention battery if you were to go that route? Or would the Reention battery take up too much space to allow for this?

So now I'm just calculating out loud because I'm looking to buy a new ebike and have narrowed down my choices to:

(from cheapest to most expensive, prices in Canadian dollars)

1) NCM Moscow from Leon cycle for $1419. This is a budget ebike with a 500W rear hub motor, cadence sensor, mechanical disc brakes and a 48V 13Ah battery. It would definitely make sense to add a Reention 48V 25Ah battery in this case since 13Ah is nothing. *Note that the Moscow Plus w/ hydraulic brakes and a 48V 16Ah battery is $2099 so the jump in price is just too big imo, especially if I'll be upgrading the battery anyway. So the Leon Moscow with a Reention 48v 25Ah battery would total about $2300 (estimation).

2) 2021 Rize Rize for $2299 48v 15Ah / $2899 Dual 48v 30Ah. 500W 65N.m Rear Hub Drive Motor.

3) Rize Rize X for $2499 52v 15Ah / $3199 Dual 52v 30Ah. 750w 80N.m Rear Hub Drive Motor.

3) Rize Rize RX Pro $3599 , 52v 15Ah / $4299 Dual 52v 30Ah. 1000w 160N.m Mid Drive Motor.

Again, I don't see any point in adding a Reention battery to any of this years Rize models, do you all agree?

Looks to be a very tough decision. Either go cheap with option #1 NCM Moscow + Reeention battery for $2300, option #3 with the Rize X dual battery for $3199 or option #4 with the Rize RX Pro w/ dual battery at $4299.

I like that the Pro has a very strong 1000w mid-drive motor but are those 2 aspects worth $1000 more than the Rize X? Definitely more power but sacrificing a bit in range compared to the X right? Sorry if this point strays away from the Reention battery but just trying to map out the best options under the circumstance of buying a new ebike from Rize or from another brand.

Thoughts?

Sorry I don't quite understand.
I'm assuming you're referring to this bike?

You're saying that Rize sells 48V 15ah battery for $600 Canadian.
How much does Jenny sell the battery for? And what's the capacity?
You said it's couple hundred dollar more expensive, but for the same spec??? 🤔

I was referring to all Rize bikes that have an option for a secondary battery, which are most of the 2021 Rize models.

I just checked the US Rize site and a second battery is also $600 (weird that it's the same price as Cdn but it is what it is). I am going by a recent comment just a couple of posts above that the Reention battery goes for about $700 USD, so I'm basing my estimation off of that.

So essentially doubling your range from 15Ah to 30Ah from Rize costs $600 (both batteries used at the same time) as opposed to removing the existing battery and replacing it with an upgraded Reention battery for rougly $700.
The Reention's capacity is 25Ah for 48v models and 20Ah for 52v models.

So unless you are going on a super long bike ride where you're lugging the original battery with you as a backup (40Ah total for 48v, 35Ah for 52v) to me it doesn't make sense to upgrade to a Reention battery if your bike supports a dual battery option. Imo, it would make more sense to just buy the 2nd battery from Rize for $600 and having 30Ah of range which is sufficient for most rides. For most cases, you probably wouldn't want to be carrying an unmountable spare battery with you anyway unless you had to.

Hope this makes more sense.

Last edited:
Okay I still don't understand.
But here's my guess..

You're making it sound like Rize will sell you a 30Ah battery for $600.
Which in reality, it's a 15Ah battery.

Whereas if you were to buy a Reention case battery (from Jenny I'm assuming?), that would be 25Ah for $700.
So you're calculating as it was a 25Ah for $700 or 30Ah for $600 (which in reality, it's 15Ah for $600)

Sorry if that's not what you meant, but that's how I understood by reading your reply 🤔

No worries., You are correct if you're looking at it in a vacuum , however I am basing my calculations on likely real world scenarios or use cases as I'd like to call them.

If you buy a second battery from Rize for $600 that battery would be mounted on top of the existing battery to total 30Ah. Easy peasy. In most cases, I would think that you'd want to have both batteries in place for piece of mind. Now If you're buying the Reention battery you would have to replace the existing, therefore leaving you with 20-25Ah depending on your voltage. The original battery either stays at home or you find a way of bringing it with you as a spare.

For me, I'd much rather have the 2 batteries mounted in place and working simultaneously for a total of 30Ah than spend a bit more money to have one battery with 20 - 25Ah and if I needed more range would have to carry an additional long and un-mountable battery which doesn't even fit in a panier bag. Then I'd have to exchange the batteries once one runs out. That's just too much hassle for nominal gains over the first scenario imo.

This is why I think the Reention battery makes more sense for the 2020 Rize bikes where the dual battery configuration is not an option. It'd also make sense brands like NCM and others mentioned by Jenny.

Last edited:
It looks to me like this battery would make sense for any Rize bike that does NOT have a dual battery option. I notice that most of the 2021 Rize bikes have the option to mount a 2nd battery on top of the existing, doubling its range from 15Ah to 30Ah. While the bike would be heavier with 2 batteries, at least you're not setting aside (being useless) if upgrading to the Reention 25Ah battery. The cost of the 2nd battery from Rize is $600 Cdn (or $500 USD), which is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than upgrading to this Reention battery.

Out of curiosity, anyone know if you could still add a 2nd battery on top of the Reention battery if you were to go that route? Or would the Reention battery take up too much space to allow for this?

So now I'm just calculating out loud because I'm looking to buy a new ebike and have narrowed down my choices to:

(from cheapest to most expensive, prices in Canadian dollars)

1) NCM Moscow from Leon cycle for $1419. This is a budget ebike with a 500W rear hub motor, cadence sensor, mechanical disc brakes and a 48V 13Ah battery. It would definitely make sense to add a Reention 48V 25Ah battery in this case since 13Ah is nothing. *Note that the Moscow Plus w/ hydraulic brakes and a 48V 16Ah battery is $2099 so the jump in price is just too big imo, especially if I'll be upgrading the battery anyway. So the Leon Moscow with a Reention 48v 25Ah battery would total about $2300 (estimation).

2) 2021 Rize Rize for $2299 48v 15Ah / $2899 Dual 48v 30Ah. 500W 65N.m Rear Hub Drive Motor.

3) Rize Rize X for $2499 52v 15Ah / $3199 Dual 52v 30Ah. 750w 80N.m Rear Hub Drive Motor.

3) Rize Rize RX Pro $3599 , 52v 15Ah / $4299 Dual 52v 30Ah. 1000w 160N.m Mid Drive Motor.

Again, I don't see any point in adding a Reention battery to any of this years Rize models, do you all agree?

Looks to be a very tough decision. Either go cheap with option #1 NCM Moscow + Reeention battery for $2300, option #3 with the Rize X dual battery for $3199 or option #4 with the Rize RX Pro w/ dual battery at $4299.

I like that the Pro has a very strong 1000w mid-drive motor but are those 2 aspects worth $1000 more than the Rize X? Definitely more power but sacrificing a bit in range compared to the X right? Sorry if this point strays away from the Reention battery but just trying to map out the best options under the circumstance of buying a new ebike from Rize or from another brand.

Thoughts?

Couple thoughts.

1) Jenny sells the 25ah battery I reviewed, but she also sells other capacities like the 21ah and 17.5ah/etc. On a value perspective it's not the 25ah that's the best value per ah of battery. The 21ah is an even better deal in terms of ah at only $535usd shipped (check with Jenny for most current prices).
2) I own an NCM moscow (2 of them) and really feel dollar for dollar they are an excellent bike. I'd enjoy driving a mid-drive for comparison but I would not be surprised to hear a setup costing $4300 was nicer than one costing $2300. All I can say is I love mine and with the 25ah battery + the stock battery it'll go an insane distance.
3) I'd also consider any of the Biktrix bikes aswell, they have outstanding customer service on Facebook and their owners are crazy for their bikes on the facebook group

Is your goal for off road/trail use or more like mine for extending touring and light trail use? Could sway the argument a bit, for instance maybe you'd enjoy the extra acceleration or extra top-end you get from a 52v battery? Jenny can do you up a 52v battery and partnered with a stock 48v battery you have the 52v for daily use with good range of its own and the 48v stock battery as your backup for long range needs? That's my next goal is to probably get Jenny to spec out a 52v Dorado battery with cheaper Chinese cells (she has a Chinese brand she recommends) and enjoy the extra pickup for daily driving in the under 40km kinda range.

I can also attach other battery formats to my bike through a connector I've made so I've seen some seat post batteries and it would be cool to have a 48v 6ah seat post "reserve" battery with me all the time so I never get range anxiety. I'd probably wire that battery in on a switch if I liked it well enough. That can be an option, to convert any bike to a dual battery format and get a Hailong case and mount a spare on your bike full-time and wire it in with a switch (I can help explain that if you want to look at that route).

By the way I posted a first impressions of the 25ah battery here:

More real world/things you might want to ponder a bit. Look at the mounting position of the batteries on the new Rize bikes (and quite a few others) that allow for the piggy back aux. batt. mounting. Would you want a battery the size/weight of one of those 25ah batteries hanging by the little locking latch that holds them in place? I'll pass....

At the very least you would have to install security straps.

I think these big packs would work out MUCH better on a bike that carries it in a "top loading" position, the way Rize and others were doing them for 2020 (last year).

The reason they switched to the bottom mount style was to make room for these "piggy back" packs....

Personally, I'm glad I have a 2020..... No need here for a battery that will go 4 times further than my butt can. -Al

Couple thoughts.

1) Jenny sells the 25ah battery I reviewed, but she also sells other capacities like the 21ah and 17.5ah/etc. On a value perspective it's not the 25ah that's the best value per ah of battery. The 21ah is an even better deal in terms of ah at only $535usd shipped (check with Jenny for most current prices).
2) I own an NCM moscow (2 of them) and really feel dollar for dollar they are an excellent bike. I'd enjoy driving a mid-drive for comparison but I would not be surprised to hear a setup costing $4300 was nicer than one costing $2300. All I can say is I love mine and with the 25ah battery + the stock battery it'll go an insane distance.
3) I'd also consider any of the Biktrix bikes aswell, they have outstanding customer service on Facebook and their owners are crazy for their bikes on the facebook group

Is your goal for off road/trail use or more like mine for extending touring and light trail use? Could sway the argument a bit, for instance maybe you'd enjoy the extra acceleration or extra top-end you get from a 52v battery? Jenny can do you up a 52v battery and partnered with a stock 48v battery you have the 52v for daily use with good range of its own and the 48v stock battery as your backup for long range needs? That's my next goal is to probably get Jenny to spec out a 52v Dorado battery with cheaper Chinese cells (she has a Chinese brand she recommends) and enjoy the extra pickup for daily driving in the under 40km kinda range.

I can also attach other battery formats to my bike through a connector I've made so I've seen some seat post batteries and it would be cool to have a 48v 6ah seat post "reserve" battery with me all the time so I never get range anxiety. I'd probably wire that battery in on a switch if I liked it well enough. That can be an option, to convert any bike to a dual battery format and get a Hailong case and mount a spare on your bike full-time and wire it in with a switch (I can help explain that if you want to look at that route).

1) Good to know thanks. Range is important to me so I wouldn't mind paying a little more for the most range possible. To me it's one of those things that you'll regret later on if you don't have it such as Tesla owners wishing that they had ponied up the extra $ for the long range over the standard.

2) Just realized that the regular Moscow does not come with a throttle which I use often for my city rides (around 60km), the Moscow Plus seems to fit my criteria but the tech seem to be a bit outdated to me for the price. I would love to try a bike with a mid-drive motor and at least 750 watts so definitely exploring all options right now. If you haven't noticed, I'm a hassle-free type of person so I'd prefer a solution that is good to go without additional maintenance. Hence why I'm thinking either existing dual battery solution, or cheaper bike + Reention 25Ah battery...or perhaps something in between. I'd like to stay away from "wasting" money that is paying for a bike with a relatively good range battery (i.e. 17Ah) then upgrading to the Reention battery while not using the 17Ah battery at all.

3) Thanks will check out Bitrix and other brands. I realize that I am posting in the Rize sub-forum but am still researching and considering other brands as well. What I'm looking for mostly is value for build quality and component specs. 25Ah - 30Ah is a must as well to alleviate any range anxiety. Am willing to pay up to $5k for a nice bike that will last a long time but I'd better be sure that this bike fulfills my needs in every way; that is build quality, future-proofed components and personal suitability. I like the specs of the Rize RX Pro but am still iffy on the build quality, support and long-term reliability.

More real world/things you might want to ponder a bit. Look at the mounting position of the batteries on the new Rize bikes (and quite a few others) that allow for the piggy back aux. batt. mounting. Would you want a battery the size/weight of one of those 25ah batteries hanging by the little locking latch that holds them in place? I'll pass....

At the very least you would have to install security straps.

I think these big packs would work out MUCH better on a bike that carries it in a "top loading" position, the way Rize and others were doing them for 2020 (last year).

The reason they switched to the bottom mount style was to make room for these "piggy back" packs....

Personally, I'm glad I have a 2020..... No need here for a battery that will go 4 times further than my butt can. -Al

Valid point. The piggy back setup doesn't look too bad to me, drawback is the additional weight as you mentioned and no space for anything else like a water bottle (not a huge deal).

If I had a 2020 Rize, it would definitely make sense to go the Reention 25Ah route but coming from a new bike buying perspective, you'd have to take into account adding a 2nd battery from the dealer vs. replacing a brand new battery (a waste if not being used) which doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless the original battery is cheaper and not too costly.

Last edited:
M2S ( m2sbikes.com ) was selling their bikes at prices that did not include a battery not too long ago. Apparently that didn't work out well for them as they've thought better of that plan and are now back to pricing them with battery.

My point though, is the thought of buying a bike without a battery - IF - you could find somebody willing to do that. Warranty might be an issue here....

M2S ( m2sbikes.com ) was selling their bikes at prices that did not include a battery not too long ago. Apparently that didn't work out well for them as they've thought better of that plan and are now back to pricing them with battery.

My point though, is the thought of buying a bike without a battery - IF - you could find somebody willing to do that. Warranty might be an issue here....

That would be fantastic, maybe something to ask of the dealers (doesn't hurt).

... Just realized that the regular Moscow does not come with a throttle which I use often for my city rides (around 60km), the Moscow Plus seems to fit my criteria but the tech seem to be a bit outdated to me for the price. ...

Just a note. The Moscow does have a throttle unless someone with a Moscow (both mine are Moscow+) says otherwise. But Leon certainly sells the replacement throttle for it for $25cdn (shipping incl) if it doesn't come with it. @john peck has a standard Moscow, he can confirm if it included a throttle or not.

Back