Solved but now more EV than eBike

tomjasz

Region
USA
City
Minnesnowta
I still have their ability to clown pedal, in fact my PT insists I do just that. Keep my legs in motion, but with little stress beyond daily exercise routines throughout the day. A major change in pain meds has given me a new freedom, the ability to move about better than I have in several years. The price is doable, never driving the cage or two wheeler. This was the second build. The first was a miserable ride. However this frame, looking like perhaps a step through is not! I have to lift my leg by grabbing a handful of trouser leg or shorts cuff too. boost my leg over aided by a painful severely arthritic thumb.

Regardless it's an incredible solution and I have my mobility and freedom back. In the end I had to give in and have a LBS finish the bike. It was as shipped from factory to LBS customers, a big box of parts. The shop was extremely helpful and reasonable.

I still have lighting and wiring to solder and sort. Itchier than the Bafang harness all lifting and wiring will be void of connectors with soldered connections. LOTS of BRIGHT FLASHING lights for night riding.

I'm pleasantly thrilled but the 36V BBS01B 500W with a 20Ah 36V 50E (21700) soft cell pack and an EM3ev 17Ah 35E (18650) Reention cased pack. Display is an old C961 featureless B&W. Currently a second CA# display and shunt installed to get some data regarding battery usage and power draw at speed and during shifting. Perhaps critical given the smaller motor and bigger load than normal. Roxim lighting and added led sidelights. 48V horn, read LOUD! 2.5" tires with a set of plush 3" in the wings for winter. A 48V mini compressor onboard. I'm missing an item or two. but will update.

The 30-50psi tires are best at 40psi and the wider rear, 38" rather than the typical Delta Trike 30" means faster cornering with 20MPH the set maximum speed.

I've just about finished organizing all the build tools and soldering tool box into a set of three boxes with ALL the tools needed to fix, build, repair, and generally wrench on eBikes. I've already hailed most by eTrike to a friends garage for him to wrench and me to drink coffee and direct his build. Have every possible tool solution at hand makes it more fun and sans struggle.
tubular battery is already retired to a seldom ridden bike. Same cells as my EM3ev battery but another UPP turd. Writing specifications and expecting they were followed was apparently a pipe dream.

It is a nice rain cover, and logo will soon be covered.

IMG_0478.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    863.8 KB · Views: 126
I still have their ability to clown pedal, in fact my PT insists I do just that. Keep my legs in motion, but with little stress beyond daily exercise routines throughout the day. A major change in pain meds has given me a new freedom, the ability to move about better than I have in several years. The price is doable, never driving the cage or two wheeler. This was the second build. The first was a miserable ride. However this frame, looking like perhaps a step through is not! I have to lift my leg by grabbing a handful of trouser leg or shorts cuff too. boost my leg over aided by a painful severely arthritic thumb.

Regardless it's an incredible solution and I have my mobility and freedom back. In the end I had to give in and have a LBS finish the bike. It was as shipped from factory to LBS customers, a big box of parts. The shop was extremely helpful and reasonable.

I still have lighting and wiring to solder and sort. Itchier than the Bafang harness all lifting and wiring will be void of connectors with soldered connections. LOTS of BRIGHT FLASHING lights for night riding.

I'm pleasantly thrilled but the 36V BBS01B 500W with a 20Ah 36V 50E (21700) soft cell pack and an EM3ev 17Ah 35E (18650) Reention cased pack. Display is an old C961 featureless B&W. Currently a second CA# display and shunt installed to get some data regarding battery usage and power draw at speed and during shifting. Perhaps critical given the smaller motor and bigger load than normal. Roxim lighting and added led sidelights. 48V horn, read LOUD! 2.5" tires with a set of plush 3" in the wings for winter. A 48V mini compressor onboard. I'm missing an item or two. but will update.

The 30-50psi tires are best at 40psi and the wider rear, 38" rather than the typical Delta Trike 30" means faster cornering with 20MPH the set maximum speed.

I've just about finished organizing all the build tools and soldering tool box into a set of three boxes with ALL the tools needed to fix, build, repair, and generally wrench on eBikes. I've already hailed most by eTrike to a friends garage for him to wrench and me to drink coffee and direct his build. Have every possible tool solution at hand makes it more fun and sans struggle.
tubular battery is already retired to a seldom ridden bike. Same cells as my EM3ev battery but another UPP turd. Writing specifications and expecting they were followed was apparently a pipe dream.

View attachment 157470
Nice build @tomjasz
I've been trying to convince my 88yo father to try one out to get some of his freedom back

First trike I've seen with a mid motor ... and I've recently seen quite a few sporty/cool looking trikes locally (go figure). I also like how there's no fender supports on the outside of the rear wheels.

1300 watts on board? Even just using the thumb you won't be charging up all the time. Better put some flames on it.

I like the idea of a friend's garage for the more extensive work (and I hope the coffee was reasonable) ... but what do folks do when they need to elevate one of these bikes? I'm thinking some sort of low custom stand under the stays to get the back wheels off the ground. Still, even with a low rolling stool it must be a pain trying to work on it at anything remotely elevated.

View attachment 157470
Like I said before "That's one hell of a mobility device, Tom". And there is nothing wrong with ghost pedaling ...

I would like it full suspension. Our infrastructure is wide and enough for that
I like the golf cart/bike trail. It looks like it might be same speed for both. How is it working out ? Any serious problems with abusive riders/drivers?

No ebikes and golf cart mishap as far as I know.
It is on both sides of the two lane road meaning one way very little traffic going in opposite direction. It is safe I have seen mobility scooters for elderly people using it.
To answer your question on abusive riders. That road is in a gated golfing community. Near Marriott Ko'olina Resort located on south shore of Oahu.
Thanks. Do you have public infrastructure like that as well?

Thanks. Do you have public infrastructure like that as well?
Hawaii is the land of obvious economic disparities. Nearly a third world and Appalachian community mixed with the uber rich. Contrasts there were nearly as obvious as our Caribbean territories. I don’t often read Rome. he has a sweat spot there. Obviously the results of being a motivated hard working fella. Sadly so many places have infrastructure but limited access.

I once visited Komonawannalayah. Nice very nice!

I've never visited there, and the only two Hawaiians I've met were from a wealthy family. But i saw the contrast in the Caribbean, so I know what you mean.

@tomjasz put golf bag carrier on your trike.
as a director I had privileges at Wynn's Shadow Creek. in its glory days. but pasture pool is a major yawn for an agronomist and purist that finds painted greens a yawn. Silliest game ever, IMO. cycling is infinitely more fun. $750 a round is just goofy.

What is the width of the rear wheels .
I got Bullards or Bullocks.
They're yellow painted pipes.
If they not wider than standard golf carts it's okay here.
38" is claimed but I'll have to measure. <edit widest point outside fender edges 36">
The seller turns out to be not as astute as I was lead to believe.

Last edited:
Back