My Hydra has Arrived!

BruceBrown

Region
USA
City
Kansas City
I planned on doing an unboxing video, but my bike got here earlier than I anticipated and I have a two-hour conference call coming up so I did a quick unboxing and took photos. It only took about 10 minutes to unbox and take off all the shipping protection. I'll get the wheel and handlebar installed tonight and take some more photos.

We've got some big storms rolling in tonight so I doubt I'll get to ride it today. I'm headed to Breckenridge, CO next week for some mountain testing.

This is a medium frame in Titanium with 27.5" wheels, Mezzer Pro front shocks, RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate rear (substitution for Mara Pro) and Kindernay. It also has the Magura MT7 brakes.

WW1.jpg
WW2.jpg
WW3.jpg
WW4.jpg
WW5.jpg
WW6.jpg
WW7.jpg

Nice! Congratulations.
Get a little chain tool in a bag behind the saddle and take a spare chain with you. Your bike is super powerful.
Can you show photos of the bike in the wild?

Nice! Congratulations.
Get a little chain tool in a bag behind the saddle and take a spare chain with you. Your bike is super powerful.
Can you show photos of the bike in the wild?
I definitely will, especially once I get to Colorado.

Good Job Bruce !!! Nice pics. This also answers the question of how the bikes are being packaged. That's pretty much conventional bike boxing methods. 👍 👍👍

Although the box in a box is a new one on me. How'd you get the inner box out of the outer one Bruce?

Last edited:
I haven't been able to ride as we have some big storms rolling through but I'll get out on it tomorrow.

In the meantime, here is some information for those of you who may have some questions once you get yours...

The black push button by the keyhole is not used. Originally it was there to turn the battery on/off but with the new packs made in the USA they're not using that. You can basically "lock" the battery to your bike meaning that if it's stolen it won't work in another bike and Pushkar is sending me the info for that.

All the key does is release the battery from it's locked position when inserted in the frame. It's not needed to power the bike on.

I got the Grin Satiator and it's presets were all for the 52V battery. I'm not sure if that is something Pushkar did or just how it came. It's preset for a fast charge at 7a, a regular charge at 4a, and an 85% charge for longer battery life.

When you insert your battery, the bottom goes in first and then you'll give it a pretty good shove to lock it in place so you can put the cover on. The cover "locks" into place with a manual slide (but doesn't actually lock). But, if your battery is fully inserted it does lock into place and you'll need the key to release it.

The display does not utilize screws to lock it's mount to the handlebar, at least with the Protaper Fatty as it's 35mm so it just clips on. It's definitely not going anywhere.

It came with some unmarked bottles - the red one is blue Loctite and the white bottle contains dielectric grease.

The biggest issue I had getting it put together was getting the front wheel on because the brake pads move a little and you have to fit the disc between them. Not a big deal, but keep an eye on the pads to make sure they don't move on you. They had some inserts that you have pull prior to putting the wheel on to keep them apart, but mine moved anyway.

I wish it had a kickstand!

Here are some more pics. I love the look of the brakes.

WW8.jpg
WW9.jpg
WW10.jpg
WW11.jpg

Looks awesome and almost identical to mine. I have Mezzerpro, rockshox super deluxe, Kindernay and carbon Nextie on one and Mezzer pro, rockshox super delux on the other

Please. You must tell us about the Kindernay once you have it scoped. I'm curious as all get out. My brain has a general idea about speed and torque given chainring and cassette but throw in an IGH and I'm lost. 👍

Please. You must tell us about the Kindernay once you have it scoped. I'm curious as all get out. My brain has a general idea about speed and torque given chainring and cassette but throw in an IGH and I'm lost. 👍
I have cleared my calendar for tomorrow and will be on the road with it in the morning. I’ve got a park with some single track near me but it’s going to be a muddy mess for a couple days as we’ve been getting pummeled with rain. I should be able to get some riding in on parts of it Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

More to come….

Glad you got to ride it at least a little today Bruce. That is an amazing build. Looks great and functional for the riding I do in every way.

Edit: I thought the Kindernay hub would stand out as a big blob even though I already know I want it on mine. It looks sleek and elegant in that I can't even pick it out in the great pictures.

I haven't been able to ride as we have some big storms rolling through but I'll get out on it tomorrow.

In the meantime, here is some information for those of you who may have some questions once you get yours...

The black push button by the keyhole is not used. Originally it was there to turn the battery on/off but with the new packs made in the USA they're not using that. You can basically "lock" the battery to your bike meaning that if it's stolen it won't work in another bike and Pushkar is sending me the info for that.

All the key does is release the battery from it's locked position when inserted in the frame. It's not needed to power the bike on.

I got the Grin Satiator and it's presets were all for the 52V battery. I'm not sure if that is something Pushkar did or just how it came. It's preset for a fast charge at 7a, a regular charge at 4a, and an 85% charge for longer battery life.

When you insert your battery, the bottom goes in first and then you'll give it a pretty good shove to lock it in place so you can put the cover on. The cover "locks" into place with a manual slide (but doesn't actually lock). But, if your battery is fully inserted it does lock into place and you'll need the key to release it.

The display does not utilize screws to lock it's mount to the handlebar, at least with the Protaper Fatty as it's 35mm so it just clips on. It's definitely not going anywhere.

It came with some unmarked bottles - the red one is blue Loctite and the white bottle contains dielectric grease.

The biggest issue I had getting it put together was getting the front wheel on because the brake pads move a little and you have to fit the disc between them. Not a big deal, but keep an eye on the pads to make sure they don't move on you. They had some inserts that you have pull prior to putting the wheel on to keep them apart, but mine moved anyway.

I wish it had a kickstand!

Here are some more pics. I love the look of the brakes.

View attachment 88754View attachment 88755View attachment 88756View attachment 88757
Bruce, Regarding your need for a kickstand: You may not have seen this:

Back