My DIY "pickup truck" cargo trike

Gary Shannon

This is a 24" Schwinn Meridian trike with a 26" front fork (long story) and a custom cargo box. I was concerned about the weight so I put a beefy 1000W 48V motor on it, and, frankly, that's more than enough juice to pull it around. In fact, since completing it a few days ago I haven't had the throttle above about 1/3 yet. It's going to be a great grocery-getter, even in the rain thanks to the "Bag Boy" golf bag umbrella holder. I didn't have a 26" front fender handy, so I'm waiting for one I found on eBay.

It's going to be parked in a non-heated space, so I'm going to add a thermostatically controlled warmer to keep the battery at a safe temperature overnight when it freezes outside.

The cargo box is a lot deeper than it looks because the lower half is painted black and tends to "disappear", making the box look a lot bigger on the inside than on the outside. The top of the box is covered with marine grade waterproof vinyl upholstery fabric, with a flap covering the hinge at the front of the lid.

trike-complete-1.png
trike-complete-2.png
trike-with-umbrella.png

Gary; very creative as well as practical set of e-wheels :). Do use caution with any kind of heating device with lithium batteries. Would be preferable if you could pull the battery out once you were home and then keep it at normal room temperature. Schwinn has the fenders for the Meridian trikes; that ultra low-step is an easy on/off design. Keep us posted with your Trike Adventures, please!

Gary; very creative as well as practical set of e-wheels :). Do use caution with any kind of heating device with lithium batteries. Would be preferable if you could pull the battery out once you were home and then keep it at normal room temperature. Schwinn has the fenders for the Meridian trikes; that ultra low-step is an easy on/off design. Keep us posted with your Trike Adventures, please!

That for all the replies.

Yes, I'll be very cautious with the battery warmer. It will warm the air in the cargo box, not "heat" the battery directly, and is designed only to keep the inside of the cargo box between 35 and 40 degrees F, so it's a "warmer" and not an aggressive "heater" by any means. The spec sheet on the 18650 gives a safe storage temperature range of 0 C to 35 C (32 F to 95 F) and I have a number of battery powered tools that use 18650s that have been stored in the same garage for many years without any ill effects. Also, our local temperature seldom goes below 32F anyway.

If the weather gets extremely cold I probably will bring the battery inside, but with my two wheeler I find it very annoying to have to keep taking the battery off the bike and then putting it back every time I want to go somewhere. Since I want this to be a practical day-to-day vehicle I'd like to minimize the hassle factor.

Yes, I will keep you posted on any developments. :)

Nice looking. But a huge frontal area. A 24 mph headwind drags me down to 5.5 mph on my pedal mountain bike with 21"x17" frontal area baskets loaded with supplies. Those 5.5 hour 30 mile trips are the reason I bought a hub motor - too much exercise. I hope your hub motor has plenty of heat transfer if your trips are very long.

Nice looking. But a huge frontal area. A 24 mph headwind drags me down to 5.5 mph on my pedal mountain bike with 21"x17" frontal area baskets loaded with supplies. Those 5.5 hour 30 mile trips are the reason I bought a hub motor - too much exercise. I hope your hub motor has plenty of heat transfer if your trips are very long.

You know, I didn't really think about frontal area, but you're right! Happily my longest trip is probably going to be about 3 miles one way, and I'm pretty happy going 10 MPH in the bike lane. :)

For sport riding I'm thinking about the possibility of getting myself a recumbent trike some day when I save up enough pennies.

Update:

I ditched the umbrella and built a canopy from fiberglass rods for the uprights and 1/2" PVC thin-wall pipe for the frame. The fabric is canvass duck and it's held in place by homemade clips cut from 1/2" PVC couplings. I also added a charger port, master battery switch and digital volt meter.

The front upright is temporarily held in place with woodworking clamps on the head tube until I finish making a custom head tube clamp. By connecting to the head tube the canopy stays in place when I turn the front wheel.

I moved the rear view mirror to the canopy tube which gives me a better view behind and the mirror stays in the same place no matter how I turn the handlebars.

The canopy can be removed and re-installed in less than a minute.

canopy-1.png

canopy-2.png

Much better in a wind.
It's beginning to look like something from The Prisoner 1968 TV show. Which deserved an award IMHO for production design.
This is nicely color coordinated.

Back