Mounting and dismounting

Jerry LM

May seem a silly question but looking at all the reviews etc. they never show getting on and off the bikes with few exceptions. When I was younger I always had a bike with a bar, diamond frame, and when getting on put my left foot on the lower pedal and swung over the seat. Now I see all these step thru frames which in the day were girls bikes?
It seems the diamond frame would be a more solid configuration to me, and would also provide a place for additional bottles, battery, bag etc. My wife' s bike has a step thru frame and I measured the height of the lower tube where you step thru at 19", I still have a tendency to drag my foot over it a bit and getting on that way seems awkward to me. When I rode her bike I gave it no thought and just naturally swung over to mount.
Anyone else had experience similar or given thought between the two frames as far as choice?
I have only been looking at step thru's the whole time just assuming the easier on and off but now I wonder, may reconsider as I really do think the diamond frame would be stronger and more stable..

I'm 52 and have no trouble mounting the diamond frame bikes even with panniers or trunk bags in place. I push off on one pedal and swing a leg over whilst the bike is in motion. My wife sees me do that and comments that she is afraid to try it. If I'm honest, probably on occasion my leg brushes the trunk bag or pannier. On our Terns which she rides and are like step-thru bikes (because the top tube is so low to the ground), I will mount by stepping through and then pushing myself onto the saddle. So for bikes I alone ride I only want a bike with a top tube (not step thru) but for bikes she and I both ride or she rides its gotta be a step thru style. Court comments frequently in his reviews that many of the bikes are more of a mid-step design vs a true step thru. Thus offering increased rigidity whilst still allowing for an easier mount.

I am 67 and have a step thru bike, Riese & Muller Homage, that I often as not swing my leg over when mounting. This bike has a higher than normal, suspended cargo rack, so when there is a trunk bag mounted, it is too high to safely swing my leg over. I step on on the left pedal and thread my right foot through the frame onto the right pedal. The alternative is to step through before mounting, probably the safest method. I also figure that the time may come when it won't be so easy. If the step through is properly designed and built, it need not compromise stability and stiffness in the turns.
20180824_094048.jpg
20180824_094048.jpg

I'm 52 and have no trouble mounting

Life long cyclist here and have never had trouble mounting diamond frames until very recently. I am close to turning 65 and feel I must have lost just enough flexibility in my hips so that I find myself making contact with rack cargo, panniers, etc., where that never had been an issue when swinging my right leg up and over on my diamond frame bikes. I do not like making concessions to age and have started in just the last week doing four hip flexibility routines that I found recommended online. Hoping that brings back the comfortable feeling I have always had when mounting diamond frames. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am about hip flexibility knows a specific routine or two that provides the most bang for the buck on the flexibility one wants to have and maintain for letting those hips give you that maximum arc?

I have a diamond frame. I step on the left pedal to get some motion going and then swing the right leg over. I may graze the baskets if I have something in them, but it's not a problem. I have more of a problem dismounting. Have to put left foot down 12-18" from the bike so I can angle it enough towards me to lower the seat and swing the right leg back over. But having gotten used to it, no big deal.

I can see a day coming when I will wish I had a step-thru, though. Might go back to 26 inch wheels when that day comes, too. (Currently riding on 700Cs.)

I've been riding conventional high bar bikes most of my life and have had no trouble with leg swing. I'm 72 now and I don't know how much longer I will be able to mount a high bar. I got into E-biking hoping to prolong my ability to enjoy my favorite sport. It made no sense for me to buy a high bar E-bike when the leg swing issue will likely be the next limiting factor. Consequently, I bought a Pedego Interceptor step through.

The only issue I've noticed so far is a bit of frame torquing when making sudden sharp turns. This does not affect handling in any way, it's just a slightly different "feel" during maneuvering. Otherwise, the step through appears to be as sturdy as any high bar bike I've ridden. I'm sure true bicycle aficionados will disagree with my observation though.

Originally, I was also concerned about the strength of the step through design when bike shopping. Since I've not read about any breaking in half or causing injury due to design failure, I decided to give one a try. So far, I've not been disappointed.

I got a step through simply because it is easier. I like the look of the diamond frame, but for practicallys sake I ride a step through.

I am also odd I guess because when I come to a stop, I like to slide off the saddle, and stand over the bike with both feet firmly on the ground. It’s just the way I do it.

When I gave up my regular bike for an ebike, I switched to the step thru Gazelle Arroyo. My reason is that at 71 I am starting to have hip pain, and more than once on my old bike, I got a sharp pain in my right hip when mounting. That usually shortened my ride, so when I started shopping for a ebike, I limited my search to step thru's. I suspect hip replacement surgery is in my future, but maybe the step thru will allow me to delay that a couple of years.

The only time I have trouble with mounting or dismounting is when I put a good-sized duffle bag on the rear rack or a backpack on the rear rack. Especially when I am tired kicking my leg up those extra six or eight inches can be a little tough...
IMG_8640 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8640.jpg
    IMG_8640.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 291
Interesting reply's I just went out for a ride on my wife's bike and swinging over the large frame is no problem for me. The seat is a bit high as it's a very large frame and even all the way down it's a bit long for me. I can see the advantage to the step thru so will keep it in consideration. I am 76 so I guess I shouldn't push it.

Do what works for you. If you can do the leg swing, it's probably good for you! And, hey, even with a step-thru bike, you can still do the leg swing if you prefer. :)

Am 87 and have a very low German made- step thru e-assist trike. It's very stable. In my search for bikes, tried a bunch of diamond-frames, but just couldn't swing my right leg over them. If in doubt, I'd get a good solidly made step thru--after all, back, hip, and knee problems generally don't get better with age.

The seat is a bit high... and even all the way down it's a bit long for me.
Jerry ...
There's a simple solution that works for me - a dropper seatpost which raises or drops the saddle by 75 mm.
  • The dropper post is down when I am not riding (first photo).
  • As soon as I move off, I release the lever under the saddle (simultaneously easing weight off the saddle) and the post rises 75 mm, placing me in my correct riding position (second photo).
  • On stopping, or just negotiating difficult places, the lever is released and the saddle drops gently under my weight. Both feet can be placed on the ground without getting off the saddle. Too easy.
  • More information: KS Dropzone.
seatpost_1aaa.jpg
seatpost_2aaa.jpg

... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks David that's very interesting. If nothing else I sure have gotten an education on bikes here. Things available I didn't even knew existed.

All things considered, combined with my age limiting the type of riding I can do, mostly roads and bike trails, I think the step thru design will be the most practical, as many advise here, at 76 I am still active & healthy but one never knows when a hip or knee could limit that swing over. I guess I should just be happy I can still ride at all. LOL Funny thing when I ride my wife's bike I feel like I never stopped, although I must admit to a little more stress, but legs are still good..hills are a bit of a challenge though.

Alaskan,,That Riesi and Muller is beautiful but Way Out of my limited price range. about 3500 is my absolute top for a bike and that is almost double that, be afraid to park it anywhere for sure.

I am 67 and have a step thru bike, Riese & Muller Homage, that I often as not swing my leg over when mounting. This bike has a higher than normal, suspended cargo rack, so when there is a trunk bag mounted, it is too high to safely swing my leg over. I step on on the left pedal and thread my right foot through the frame onto the right pedal. The alternative is to step through before mounting, probably the safest method. I also figure that the time may come when it won't be so easy. If the step through is properly designed and built, it need not compromise stability and stiffness in the turns.
View attachment 25059View attachment 25059

Alaskan I had the opportunity to test the new Homage dual battery Rohloff and found the bike has lost it’s ability to be a step-thru. The second battery is too close to the seat tube.

I used to do the left foot on pedal, hop, hop, swing your leg over thing. Forget what they call that style mount. Now, at 67, worried about my coordination to do that as well as my ability to get my balance quickly enough. Plus, now I'd have to allow for the fact I've gone from a fairly lightweight Trek to a 65lb+ e-bike.

Anyway, I now pull the bike over toward me to about 45 degrees, grab the rear brake to steady the bike, swing my leg over and arrange the right pedal to the bottom of it's travel. From there I transfer my weight to that right foot as I straighten the bike to upright, and punch the throttle to get the bike moving. This has proven to be a fairly reliable method that just plain works for me. No more worry.

Dismounting similar. Right foot on pedal, slide forward off the seat as you stop and transfer your weight to your left foot on the ground. Pull the bike over to 45 degrees and swing your right leg over the back to clear the bike.

Back