Mounting and dismounting

we bought what they are calling "mid" step through models. I am only 5'2" and 50 years old with muscular dystrophy. My wife uses the step through more whereas I swing my leg over. However I have had a mishap with catching the trunk bag while swinging leg over. My problem is my mind is still young and spry but when your foot catches you suddenly become old again as you fall lol

Considering the cost of an ebike, I had to think of the future when buying. While I can still swing a leg over my Trek MTB, I don't know how long that ability will last. The LBS where I bought the ebike says a step through should be seriously considered by seniors and anyone with joint issues.

I was somewhat amused by Ikoyangi's post above. I used his "lean over the handlebar" mounting technique and it worked well when I was kid. My bikes now have handlebar heights well above the seat height for an upright riding position. It's hard to lean over something that is well above your waist! He talks about "finesse, aplomb" and "smooth motor function". I hate to admit it but I lost those years ago. He goes on to mention "jittery" people may fall more frequently. Well I'm jittery and even one fall could easily end my riding for good.

Seriously though, welcome to the forum Ikoyangi ! Please excuse my humor at your expense. Thanks for your informative post but please understand, a good many of the members here are seniors.

I used to do the left foot on pedal, hop, hop, swing your leg over thing. Forget what they call that style mount. Now, at 67, worried about my coordination to do that as well as my ability to get my balance quickly enough. Plus, now I'd have to allow for the fact I've gone from a fairly lightweight Trek to a 65lb+ e-bike.

Anyway, I now pull the bike over toward me to about 45 degrees, grab the rear brake to steady the bike, swing my leg over and arrange the right pedal to the bottom of it's travel. From there I transfer my weight to that right foot as I straighten the bike to upright, and punch the throttle to get the bike moving. This has proven to be a fairly reliable method that just plain works for me. No more worry.

Dismounting similar. Right foot on pedal, slide forward off the seat as you stop and transfer your weight to your left foot on the ground. Pull the bike over to 45 degrees and swing your right leg over the back to clear the bike.

Exactly what I do, only at 80 and no flexibility I lean the bike beyond the 45 degrees. One of my bikes has a twist throttle which being an old motorcyclist I thought I would like but it's a pain on a bike when I have to mount and dismount in an awkward position. Twice now I've had the bike leaned over almost flat and accidently twisted the throttle and the result wasn't pretty.

I can't do that anymore. I hope you live long enough you can't do that either.
How funny you are. I never heard that kind humor before. I'm 73, 74 in Feb. The men in my family died in their 70's so, I'm not hopeful I'll live long enough to get rusty or use a walker.

The procedures I've outlined are spotty leaving gaps to fill in by resourceful riders as well as those who have to adapt to their physical needs to ride a bike in best way possible.

No way can I cover every possible physical need. You may do well with a step thru, not a girls' bike. I'm getting there too, but some of those bikes cost a lot. Could make your bike life very enjoyable and carefree.

A step thru is a treasure in the milieu of bikes and could be a business fleet of bikes to get around on large properties or warehouses.

How funny you are. I never heard that kind humor before. I'm 73, 74 in Feb. The men in my family died in their 70's so, I'm not hopeful I'll live long enough to get rusty or use a walker.

The procedures I've outlined are spotty leaving gaps to fill in by resourceful riders as well as those who have to adapt to their physical needs to ride a bike in best way possible.

No way can I cover every possible physical need. You may do well with a step thru, not a girls' bike. I'm getting there too, but some of those bikes cost a lot. Could make your bike life very enjoyable and carefree.

A step thru is a treasure in the milieu of bikes and could be a business fleet of bikes to get around on large properties or warehouses.

From time to time check all wires by following each wire from beginning to end. You might find a loose connector as two were found on mine, disabling the bike two separate times.

Back