Mounting and dismounting

If the OP is still here:
according to the poll, the average member here is 60-70. I'm 68, I haven't lost any strength, but I've lost a LOT of flexibility. I started having trouble getting the leg over the diamond frame about age 62. vefore I traded up to a yubabikes bodaboda drop frame, I was having to lean the MTB straight frame bike over sideways to get the bar down then stick my leg over, which involved a bit of hopping around sometimes. Hopping is bad practice at this age where falls tear tendons (I've torn two shoulder tendons in falls).
I've loaded my drop frame bodaboda up to 320 lb gross, no problem. As far as status, the lycra crowd always found me not worth returning the wave since I sit upright.

Last edited:
The only serious bike injury I´ve had occurred when my shorts snagged on the saddle while dismounting on concrete. I came
down flat back fracturing a vertibra, breaking a rib, & herniating a kidney. bummer:oops:

If the OP is still here:
according to the poll, the average member here is 60-70. I'm 68, I haven't lost any strength, but I've lost a LOT of flexibility. I started having trouble getting the leg over the diamond frame about age 62. vefore I traded up to a yubabikes bodaboda drop frame, I was having to lean the MTB straight frame bike over sideways to get the bar down then stick my leg over, which involved a bit of hopping around sometimes. Hopping is bad practice at this age where falls tear tendons (I've torn two shoulder tendons in falls).
I've loaded my drop frame bodaboda up to 320 lb gross, no problem. As far as status, the lycra crowd always found me not worth returning the wave since I sit upright. Probably think I'm homeless. I have two homes, and the wife has another.

I stopped caring what others think of me a LONG time ago. Actually, I love the look on a car salesman or real estate agent's face (the one who didn't really want to wait on us) when the customer who is wearing a comfy old t-shirt, faded blue jean shorts and old tennies, tells him financing won't be necessary..... The hell with people like that!

Ugh. I just had a bout with sciatica that left my left ankle weak enough that I didn't trust it if I swung over my bikes. I had to adopt the stepping over a tilted bike technique, and I probably would never have thought of it w/o this thread. Glad you posted, Jerry.

Meanwhile, am getting better via physical therapy and exercises.

I stopped caring what others think of me a LONG time ago. ..... The hell with people like that!

Agreed!! Although at 72, I can still swing a leg over my Trek MTB, I don't know how much longer that will be the case. I bit the bullet when buying my ebike and bought a step through. I get a few funny looks from the younger set but I don't regret the purchase one bit. It's surprising how many older men are riding them these days. So much so that most manufacturers switched from calling them "girls bikes" to step throughs.

I'm 60 and my knees are starting to bug me. A step through works great for me and the bike is solid and not week because it's step through.

Attachments

• E-bike.jpg
    E-bike.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 366
Alaskan I had the opportunity to test the new Homage dual battery Rohloff and found the bike has lost it’s ability to be a step-thru. The second battery is too close to the seat tube.
The 2018 Homage is not as deep a step through as the Nevo because of the rear shock that sits under where the down tube and the rear rack beam meet. It also has the battery mounted down lower than that of the Nevo so it is more of a high step through. The new model does not look any more compromised as a step through than mine. See the photo of mine on the first page of this thread. To me it looks about the same as the 2019 with the second battery. Perhaps is loses an inch or so of step through space due to a thicker downtube containing the power tube battery.

For solid step thru, you might look at EProdigy Magic Pro. At this point, the company hasnt raised their prices. I have the cheaper version but kind of wish I upgraded to the belt drive motor system. Here is the EBR review.
. its 2999.00 Mine was shipped within 5 days and they have been great with their customer service.

For solid step thru, you might look at EProdigy Magic Pro. At this point, the company hasnt raised their prices. I have the cheaper version but kind of wish I upgraded to the belt drive motor system. Here is the EBR review.
. its 2999.00 Mine was shipped within 5 days and they have been great with their customer service.

Thanks for the post on the Prodigy magic, one of the bikes I was originally considering but the Only review I have found was Court's which seemed lacking in ride time and real road test, just riding around a closed area. I know the motor is built by them not Bafang or one of the other main manufacturers, so was unsure about that as well. It has the battery on the downtube which I like rather than on the rear rack like the Galaxy by Evelo which is the other bike I like, but the high battery mount and their step thru frame in the review has a pronounced speed wobble I can't live with. The TT is ok but top tube and don't know if I want that. Still looking tough decision because at these prices a one time purchase and I want to get it right.

The one thing I would suggest is try to get a bike with a torque sensor for pedal assist. The power delivery on a torque sensor system feels much more natural and seamless compared to a cadence sensor.

May seem a silly question but looking at all the reviews etc. they never show getting on and off the bikes with few exceptions. When I was younger I always had a bike with a bar, diamond frame, and when getting on put my left foot on the lower pedal and swung over the seat. Now I see all these step thru frames which in the day were girls bikes?
It seems the diamond frame would be a more solid configuration to me, and would also provide a place for additional bottles, battery, bag etc. My wife' s bike has a step thru frame and I measured the height of the lower tube where you step thru at 19", I still have a tendency to drag my foot over it a bit and getting on that way seems awkward to me. When I rode her bike I gave it no thought and just naturally swung over to mount.
Anyone else had experience similar or given thought between the two frames as far as choice?
I have only been looking at step thru's the whole time just assuming the easier on and off but now I wonder, may reconsider as I really do think the diamond frame would be stronger and more stable..
I dont understand the question, Im lost in the details. I think, step thru or not, swinging your leg, you could put both hands on handlebar, standing on ground, weight on straight left leg, LEAN OVER HANDLEBAR, LEFT FOOT FACING FOREWARD, raise right leg backward swinging leg in one motion over rear of bike, find right pedal and pushing it to 9 o'clock. Stand up leaning forward with right butt cheek somewhere on seat, left leg still straight with weight not changing. You are on the bike now about to shift weight and make bike move to become fully seated and moving in one dynamic motion.

If you cannot take off this way, don't sit, but stand ahead of the seat close to the handlebar. Always start off in your chosen manner, that way you will be in balance thru practice and reliably achieve forward motion to start pedalling. Thats the two methods of mounting while standing.

The other method is pushing the bike with right foot on the 9 o'clock pedal while pushing on the ground with your left foot. The left pedal can be at 6 o'clock or 9 o'clock positions. Some people like it at 12 o'clock.

When beginning moving and about to sit down, raise your butt high above the seat rather than sliding onto the seat. This way your clothing wont get caught on the seat rear and cause you to delay pumping. If clothing is caught, the bike could stall and you could fall and hurt yourself. Thats the main danger when using the push off method. So, it is helpful to pull up your pants to the crotch before stepping on the left pedal.

When dismounting, move your hips forward and up from the seat so the clothing is not caught on the seat horn. Again, you could fall while dismounting, if clothing is caught.

If falling, you could stop your fall to the left by standing on the ground with your left foot extended, leaning the bike by taking a hopping step sideways, while getting unstuck and dismounting.

Aplomb is the goal. Mounting and dismounting takes finesse and to achieve it takes procedural thought that suits you. A lapse could be disastrous. I have not provided all procedural details so, I apologize.

A lot of finesse is the result of your physicality, smooth motor function, common sense, experience level, motivation to learn and do, procedural memory and bike setup for your body.

Jittery people may take longer and may fall more frequently. Dont be jittery unless you have a balance problem.

This is a fairly old thread so for me things have changed since posting a while ago, I ordered and received a Evelo Galaxy TT and had it for about a week. Getting on the bike as you describe in your text was not a problem, same way I have always done since a kid. But I found the dismounting was for me a problem I never anticipated when looking at bikes. I wanted the traditional top tube design because I liked the look better and figured it would be more stable frame and eliminate any wobble tendencies.
I like having a rear rack bag and places to store my gear. The bag made it so if I tried to swing my leg off it hit the bag and was not possible. So I leaned the bike over, Way over trying to get off and did but it was not graceful nor practical for me. That made me realize I need a step thru configuration to eliminate this problem. Called Evelo and they had no problem whatsoever with my decision to return the bike.
They also offered to replace it with the Aurora, which cost considerably more than the Galaxy, at no additional charge. They sent the new bike in two days and the FedEx guy picked up the old at the same time, and I was not charged one dime for shipping on either bike , either way!
As soon as I assembled the Aurora which was about an hour, I put the battery on charge and the next morning did my first test ride. I was absolutely blown away by the difference, easy on, easy off, have my bag and gear mounted and as a bonus the 750W vs the 500W with full time throttle is amazing. The bike is virtually silent on the road other than tire noise, and a minimal whine you can barely hear at speed, I notice no difference between the belt and chain drive, and chain means no frame cutout.
The Galaxy rode nice and had the belt drive but only throttle after 6mph and the difference in torque and power is substantial. First ride with hardly any pressure on the pedals PAS 1 I was cruising at 15/16 mph and loving it. Hills well , what hills?? LOL Couldn't be happier with this bike. I don't believe there is any company that will beat Evelo, they went overboard calling me and emails and making sure I like the bike and was happy, add to that a 100 dollar gift certificate and a quality product you just can't go wrong.
No affiliation just a very satisfied customer.
PS: I noticed no other manufacturer offering a 4 yr warranty, 20K mile warranty on the drive train and pro rated battery replacement when needed....

I'm 70 and still ride a standard, peddal powered road bike (leg over). Being a manly sort of fellow I thought that stepthroughs wern't for me. As I adjust my sights and realize that for me, an ebike is for transportation and errands, I began to see it more as a scooter with pedals. Suddenly stepthroughs began to make sense. I have two other human powered bikes for exercise that I can throw my leg over if I want. I expect ease of use and comfort from an ebike. I tend to equate all bikes with the old pedal power bikes we are all familiar with. It seems to me that as ebikes become more popular and the designs respond more to how we use them, you'll see a different animal. Stepthroughs just make a lot of sense.

I never considered a step-thru until I started having hip pain. That changed my perspective on the advantages of a step-thru.

I agree Douglas, I am 76 and don't much care anymore about the Macho stuff, need ease of use and safe as I can get it so I don't end up breaking anything. Not the bike, but me! I found the swing over and off a bit much as I am not as limber as I once was. Works for me.

I've loaded my drop frame bodaboda up to 320 lb gross, no problem. As far as status, the lycra crowd always found me not worth returning the wave since I sit upright.
Ya that's like when I sold my last Harley Davidson and went down to a scooter the boys no longer waved at me,,,LOL, I love scooters, old Cushman Eagles and Vespas. I got tired of the 850 lb hog and really enjoyed just putting around on my scoots. Now I am on the E bike and I really enjoy just cruising along, who cares if they wave, passing them up on a grade is more fun anyway....Ya I know, I love cheating!!!

Back