More than just a saddle swap.

Copyrider

I recently swapped the Specialized Bridge Sport saddle that came with my Vado SL with a Selle Anatomica H2. Huge improvement right out of the box! The pre-tensioned leather "hammock-style" Selle is both supportive and conforming. 5-stars.

I made no adjustments to the mount when installing the new saddle and now know that was a mistake. Like I said, the first couple of rides were comfortable. But on the third ride, I noticed I was sitting a bit differently on the new saddle and while it was more comfortable, it didn't feel like I was getting as much power out of my pedaling, because my leg angle had changed (I assumed).

Whem I sat further back on the saddle, overcompensating for this change, my bike noticeably responded with more power. The Vado SL's torque and cadence sensors appear to be very finely tuned and responsive to inputs. I never noticed such nuanced differences in the regular Vado. It makes sense, with less power in the SL, that the system would need to be tuned more precisely.

Reading up on the Selle Anatomica, they recommend a 2% aft rake on the mount, which I adjusted. I also readjusted my saddle height about 1" higher, to fit for better pedaling with the new saddle. I noticed the difference immediately.

Power's back with the same comfort...actually, better comfort with the improved riding position!

Just sharing to encourage all to be aware that small adjustments can make a big difference.

I found it is not only the saddle that makes you comfortable. Two parameters are vital: the saddle horizontal offset and the saddle angle.

Whatever saddle I was trying, I was suffering from the stress in the crotch and in the groins. Finally, I found the reason. My saddle should be offset forward and be horizontal. This makes my buttocks sit on the large saddle surfaces. No problem with aches of my behind anymore!

I found it is not only the saddle that makes you comfortable. Two parameters are vital: the saddle horizontal offset and the saddle angle.

Whatever saddle I was trying, I was suffering from the stress in the crotch and in the groins. Finally, I found the reason. My saddle should be offset forward and be horizontal. This makes my buttocks sit on the large saddle surfaces. No problem with aches of my behind anymore!
By offset forward you mean attaching the seatpost towards backend of the saddle such that entire saddle moves forward?
And horizontal means the top of the saddle is leveled?

There’s likely more to swapping saddles than meets the eye. Having one’s bike properly fitted could make a huge difference when it comes to a comfortable ride. When if comes to your sit bones, getting them placed on the saddle correctly by means of measurement either at home or by a pro using a gel pad would provide a better idea of saddle width a person would require. Pelvic position and the angle one adopts when cycling also play a vital role in where the most weight is transferred on the saddle. Obviously, testing different saddles would be the ultimate method but not everyone is able to do that. Many shops will have fitting service (for a fee) available to customers and many will offer this gratis on the purchase of a new bike. Either way, it's certainly worth considering as searching for the appropriate saddle is a bit of a coin toss.

Most saddles serve best when they are parallel to the ground. I ride a Selle Anatomica and find that the most comfortable seat angle is slightly elevated in front but not so much that it applies any pressure to the tender zone. If you feel like you are sliding forward on the saddle tilt it back. If you are feeling any pressure down there, tilt it forward.

The optimal offset for most of us is when your knee joint is straight up from the pedal axle, when the crank is in the forward horizontal position. You can eyeball this yourself when you are on the bike or have someone take a yardstick or plum bob while you are on the bike and make sure the line between your knee joint and the pedal axle continues to the ground perfectly perpendicular, at a right angle.

Saddle height should result in your knee joint being at a 160 degree angle when fully extended.

Get these three things dialed in and then move on the handlebar height, angle and hand position.

Last edited:
Back