Mission Control-Failed, again

GuruUno

Several times, upon starting a ride, using Mission Control to initiate the ride, and upon returning, no data was recorded. Too long to dissect the specifics, but if the ride is not recorded, how then do I get the data that shows in "ride" to use for syncing with Strava, Ride /w/gps, etc???? Sometimes it works (mostly), others, dies in the middle of the ride and loses info)

Several times, upon starting a ride, using Mission Control to initiate the ride, and upon returning, no data was recorded. Too long to dissect the specifics, but if the ride is not recorded, how then do I get the data that shows in "ride" to use for syncing with Strava, Ride /w/gps, etc???? Sometimes it works (mostly), others, dies in the middle of the ride and loses info)

Are you saying that the data is showing in the ”ride” app? If so, it was recorded. Or are you also recording it in the “ride” app directly? For e-bikes, you’re supposed to use mission control for logging, which then uploads to specialized’s cloud and the rides show up in “ride.”

Or are you saying it doesn’t show up in mission control OR ride? Kind of hard to diagnose after the fact, but all you should look at your phone intermittently while riding if you want to make sure it’s logging.

I used mission control for every long ride I did for a year, and it disconnected once or twice. It’s not perfect, but not often either.

Just last week, I do "not enough data for a log" or some similar message. I know I started it. It is possible that when "closing" the MC screen I might have tapped the stop. But it was not stopped at the end of the ride. This has probably happened three times over the last year. But being too much into tracking, I also run Gaia gps on all the rides, too. So I still have that log. And generally the Garmin is also active. But data acquisition overkill from the guy who never cared about cadence. I pedal and the bike moves - that's my cadence.

Are you saying that the data is showing in the ”ride” app? If so, it was recorded. Or are you also recording it in the “ride” app directly? For e-bikes, you’re supposed to use mission control for logging, which then uploads to specialized’s cloud and the rides show up in “ride.”

Or are you saying it doesn’t show up in mission control OR ride? Kind of hard to diagnose after the fact, but all you should look at your phone intermittently while riding if you want to make sure it’s logging.

I used mission control for every long ride I did for a year, and it disconnected once or twice. It’s not perfect, but not often either.
Upon starting out yesterday and turning on mission control on my iPhone, my day began as a normal ride.

However, upon returning almost 2 hours later I took my phone out of the trunk bag and it was in a state of “resume” (meaning press the resume to continue the recording of the ride, as it was paused, somehow, someway)…now whether the software auto-stops/resumes when I pause my ride (physically) for a minute or 2, such as at a red light or to chat with someone, regardless, I’ve not had the issue of the mission control stopping and not resuming.

You might want to say it’s an ant or Bluetooth or an apple issue, but nonetheless (it is not, as this type of issue has been non-existent), I took screenshots of the display unit on the handlebars to validate my claim/problem.

How do I get the stats that were on the display (at the end of the ride) to be equal to the incorrect mission control stats that were not complete at the end of the ride?

As the display shows, the ride was 1 hour and 59 minutes, the distance was 28.4 miles

The mission control app only shows 6 minutes, 1.3 miles.

How do I get the data to sync so I can keep my Strava data current?

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1735.jpg
    IMG_1735.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 115
Upon starting out yesterday and turning on mission control on my iPhone, my day began as a normal ride.

However, upon returning almost 2 hours later I took my phone out of the trunk bag and it was in a state of “resume” (meaning press the resume to continue the recording of the ride, as it was paused, somehow, someway)…now whether the software auto-stops/resumes when I pause my ride (physically) for a minute or 2, such as at a red light or to chat with someone, regardless, I’ve not had the issue of the mission control stopping and not resuming.

You might want to say it’s an ant or Bluetooth or an apple issue, but nonetheless (it is not, as this type of issue has been non-existent), I took screenshots of the display unit on the handlebars to validate my claim/problem.

How do I get the stats that were on the display (at the end of the ride) to be equal to the incorrect mission control stats that were not complete at the end of the ride?

As the display shows, the ride was 1 hour and 59 minutes, the distance was 28.4 miles

The mission control app only shows 6 minutes, 1.3 miles.

How do I get the data to sync so I can keep my Strava data current?
ah, i see. i don’t believe there is any way to get the ride data from the TCD to strava other than also having logged the ride with mission control or another bike computer / cycling app.

mission control has an auto pause and auto resume feature. personally i prefer to start and stop manually. i also have my phone on the bars in lieu of a bike computer or TCD, so i would see right away if it disconnected. with your bike’s display, that would be pretty redundant unfortunately.

B0C4024E-D80D-44FE-B6B5-7C7619295FCB.jpeg

I just run MC. No auto-start or pause. I don't care if I stop for 10 minutes or twenty minutes for a break or a ferry ride. I generally want distance and elevation and don't care for the other anal aspects of the ride. At my age, BREATHING is more than enough detail!

I have all but given up on Mission Control logging. Historically it's failed enough for me to not risk it....although, I will say this last weekend I did a 50 mile ride but my watch (which is what I normally log from) didn't charge the night before, so I risked using Mission Control and it didn't abort. So maybe they've fixed it?

Auto start has never worked for me.

Mission Control generally works well for me, but it has failed on two of my rides. Both of the failed rides have one thing in common; running Komoot concurrently with Mission Control. I did not need the logging of Komoot, but I did need it's navigation function. I am thinking running the two apps concurrently may cause an issue somewhere in the process. I have successfully logged rides when running both apps though, so I do not get repeatable failures.....so this could simply be a coincidence.

I don't use Komoot, so that wasn't my issue. It's been a while since I've reliably used Mission Control since I gave up on it (outside of my ride this last weekend), and can't remember for sure what other apps I may have been using, but generally I'll use Google Maps for navigation and Plex Amp for music.

I have run both Mission Control and GaiaGPS side by side for months or longer. I have had two Mission Control failures and I don't know why. It is possible instead of swiping the app to the background I've hit the pause/stop button but I think that generally needs confirmation.

I have all but given up on Mission Control logging. Historically it's failed enough for me to not risk it....although, I will say this last weekend I did a 50 mile ride but my watch (which is what I normally log from) didn't charge the night before, so I risked using Mission Control and it didn't abort. So maybe they've fixed it?

Auto start has never worked for me.
i wonder what the variable here is. i logged approx 250 rides on my creo in MC over a year, never failed. a few times (over a year) it would disconnect from the bike, but bluetooth is not perfect. it would just take a tap to comfirm reconnection.

My iPhone is in the trunk bag.
During a ride today, into mile 14, I get a notification that its Bluetooth disconnected, it kicked out of Smart Control and went into ECO.
Had to manually reset to use Smart Control.
Smart ain't so smart.
I can try multiple phones, but me thinks it's a bug in Mission Control.

During a ride today, into mile 14, I get a notification that its Bluetooth disconnected, it kicked out of Smart Control and went into ECO.
Had to manually reset to use Smart Control.
Smart ain't so smart.
I can try multiple phones, but me thinks it's a bug in Mission Control.
i would strongly suggest you mount it to the bars, leave it on, and see what happens. hard to diagnose when the device is not easily visible. 200 rides, no failures, other than a few temporary disconnects:

creoRideMC.jpg

It is pretty far away from the e-bike's controller then. If the phone were kept in the back pocket of the jersey, less chance for a disconnection. And of course the bars is the ideal location. (You could think of a QuadLock with the integrated iPhone case: it is secure).

Previously, I had been using BleVo on the Vado 5.0, and still do, with the Vado 5.0 SL with the phone on the handlebars.
On occasion, I'd use Mission Control or Ride with GPS and carry a 2nd phone (an old iPhone 7 just for bike riding purposes) in the trunk bag.
I then decided it was foolish to carry a $1,000 + iPhone on the handlebars, so I began using the older "bike only" iPhone 7 for the handlebars.
Anyway, it's a challenge to mount any additional peripherals on the Como 5.0 handlebars, hence in the bag.
Thanks for the feeback.

Previously, I had been using BleVo on the Vado 5.0, and still do, with the Vado 5.0 SL with the phone on the handlebars.
On occasion, I'd use Mission Control or Ride with GPS and carry a 2nd phone (an old iPhone 7 just for bike riding purposes) in the trunk bag.
I then decided it was foolish to carry a $1,000 + iPhone on the handlebars, so I began using the older "bike only" iPhone 7 for the handlebars.
Anyway, it's a challenge to mount any additional peripherals on the Como 5.0 handlebars, hence in the bag.
Thanks for the feeback.

i actually use a bike-only phone too, an iPhone 12 mini that i picked up used. when i sell it it will hardly have depreciated at all! my motivation was mostly because it’s so much smaller and lighter.

in any case maybe you can temporarily find a way to mount the phone up front to diagnose the problem, and then once figured out see if it can go back in the bag?

Back