Smart Control is now Dumb Control?

GuruUno

Last week, the LBS swapped out the handlebar remote & screen (they say it's the 'package' and has to be done as a set), as it was intermittently inoperative, mostly during cold weather.
(see: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/handlebar-remote-on-2022-vado-como.51315/ )
They ordered it in October 2022.
It came in last week. May 2023
They ordered the wrong one (they ordered for the Vado 5.0 IGH)
After installing it, they realized it would not work (differences I'm not knowledgeable about).
So they took one off of a floor/demo/inventory bike.
They programmed it, and off I went.
During my ride back home, it lost communications and acted weirdly.
Zero communication between bike and iPhone.
Upon arriving home, I inspected the bluetooth connection and it was not pairing successfully.
It was not showing a WSBCxxxxx serial # normally associated with Specialized e-bikes.
It was showing as MCC9-1032-BLK, very, very odd.
I ultimately "forced" the pairing to the MCC9***** and got it to see the bike. But it thought it was an IGH bike.
IMG_2220.PNG

Then this:
IMG_2221.JPG

Then this:
IMG_2225.PNG

And this:
IMG_2226.PNG

So, it seems the LBS did not correctly program stuff, I made a 2nd trip back to the LBS the following day and they reprogrammed things.

The following day, I set out on a 30 mile planned trip, I plugged the data into Mission Control the same as always (how many miles gonna go, + all the other parameters).

However, the bike was crippled.
Not being able to rectify in time, I just used ECO and SPORT and did the ride.

TODAY, I investigated further, I planned a 35 mile ride, plugged in the stuff I've normally done for over a year (distance, remaining % of battery, elevation, etc., etc.), and once again, crippled. Like a slug.
So, I spent some time, to no avail, and was not able to determine what has changed, what is different.

Before I go back to the LBS for a 3rd time, I'm reaching out here to ask if anyone is aware of anything I might be overlooking.

Here is the issue.
I've never before seen the display in Smart Control/Mission Control screen with the 10% referenced as per screenshot.
Smart Control Oddity.jpg

Anyone?

It's possible the new computer hasn't "learned" the battery yet. It seems to be really conservative about that. If it's not able to do that at all, maybe try the factory reset button combo on the unit to make sure it doesn't have some weird lingering data from the demo bike?

Guru, there is something fundamentally wrong with your e-bike.

You see, I had been recently using Smart Control on my big Vado. The last segment of my last epic escapade made me left with a battery of the full effective charge of 501 Wh. I entered 60 km (that was exactly the remaining distance to my destination, 250 m of elevation gain and 0 m of climb response. I also requested 5% of the battery remaining at the end of the ride. I was riding against massive headwind! The initial assistance was 35% but it very soon increased to some decent 40, and even 50%!

900 m before the end of my ride, Smart Control decided I achieved my target, at 7% battery left. It was enough for me to switch to Sport and complete my ride.

It was the second time of recent I had to use Smart Control. In both cases, the function did its works marvellously!
-----------
So I think something was screwed on your e-bike. It must be WSBC as the beginning of the Bluetooth e-bike name!

So, sharing this with the LBS, they referenced the following screenshot
LBS Reply.png

Not 100% sure what may have changed since the firmware update, etc., but I'll un-pair and repair my Wahoo Tickr and report back tomorrow.
My only concern is that I choose DISTANCE, not HEART RATE, so I do not see the relevance

So yes, I had a Wahaoo Tickr paired previously which still showed as a connected bluetooth device in Mission Control.

I dis-associated, unpaired it.

Still, Smart Control shows a 10% assistance.

Screenshots attached.
Tickr_Not_Paired.PNG

No Change Still 10% with Tickr Unpaired.PNG

OK, here is the odd thing.
PRIOR to my bike getting the control and display swapped out, I HAD the latest firmware for everything.
My wife's Como did not have any firmware updates for almost a year (2 or 3 behind).
SHE experienced the very same thing just PRIOR to my experiences as well as when I took my bike into the bike shop on the 2nd trip to swap out the items again, the once more reflashed all firmwares, as well as my wife's Como, which I brought to the bike shop with me.
So....both bikes latest firmwares, same issues???
The manager of the bike shop called me and informed me that he checked a few bikes on the floor with the new firmware, and they reacted the same way....10% and almost no assistance in Smart Control.
He said he'd be reaching out to the mothership.
Anyone else have the same experience with Smart Control?
Attached reference screenshots of firmware(s) and Battery Health
Firmwares as of 5-17-23.PNG

Battery Info as of 5-17-23.PNG

Last week, the LBS swapped out the handlebar remote & screen (they say it's the 'package' and has to be done as a set), as it was intermittently inoperative, mostly during cold weather.
(see: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/handlebar-remote-on-2022-vado-como.51315/ )
They ordered it in October 2022.
It came in last week. May 2023
They ordered the wrong one (they ordered for the Vado 5.0 IGH)
After installing it, they realized it would not work (differences I'm not knowledgeable about).
So they took one off of a floor/demo/inventory bike.
They programmed it, and off I went.
During my ride back home, it lost communications and acted weirdly.
Zero communication between bike and iPhone.
Upon arriving home, I inspected the bluetooth connection and it was not pairing successfully.
It was not showing a WSBCxxxxx serial # normally associated with Specialized e-bikes.
It was showing as MCC9-1032-BLK, very, very odd.
I ultimately "forced" the pairing to the MCC9***** and got it to see the bike. But it thought it was an IGH bike.
View attachment 153801

Then this:
View attachment 153802

Then this:
View attachment 153803
And this:
View attachment 153804

So, it seems the LBS did not correctly program stuff, I made a 2nd trip back to the LBS the following day and they reprogrammed things.

The following day, I set out on a 30 mile planned trip, I plugged the data into Mission Control the same as always (how many miles gonna go, + all the other parameters).

However, the bike was crippled.
Not being able to rectify in time, I just used ECO and SPORT and did the ride.

TODAY, I investigated further, I planned a 35 mile ride, plugged in the stuff I've normally done for over a year (distance, remaining % of battery, elevation, etc., etc.), and once again, crippled. Like a slug.
So, I spent some time, to no avail, and was not able to determine what has changed, what is different.

Before I go back to the LBS for a 3rd time, I'm reaching out here to ask if anyone is aware of anything I might be overlooking.

Here is the issue.
I've never before seen the display in Smart Control/Mission Control screen with the 10% referenced as per screenshot.
View attachment 153807
Anyone?
Pretty sure they sent you the IGH control system that was supposed to be on my wife’s como. ;)

Well, this is the reply today to a LBS tech (BTW, I have already done multiple times what they suggest)
Specialized Reply for Smart Control.jpg

Back