Mid drives vs Hub drives ???

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
The elevation profile tool in ridewithgps.com can give you the percentage grade of any route you have entered.

I imagine strava and any other such services would let you do the same thing.

Just tried it on my street and it was not even close, the distance is correct but it does not account for the areas of level road vs the graded section of the street. It just gives the average of distance/height.
I don't know what to say. Cyclists have been relying on that site for a long time. People train and set competitions using it. I've used it a few times and found it accurate. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

Sorry, @J.R. I believe this to be a good site as well I had never tried it on my street but had used it before.
It very well may be accurate in other areas, my GPS is not accurate in my area either. The street leading up to the road my house is on has small rises of 0-3% then a hill that is 7% followed by a short 50-yard hill of well over 19% followed by another 5%.

So Mike, as to your original question, I would say it's a lot like why one sees so many Range Rovers where I live. They're insanely expensive, horribly unreliable, have very poor resale value, almost no one takes them off road - and we don't even get snow or ice in this part of Florida - but apparently they are a good way for people with low self esteem to feel better about themselves? OK. maybe a bit harsh but my take on ebikes is that the simplest one you can use is the best. I love my single speed with a rear hub, it feels much more like a real bike than my wife's much more expensive bike and since there's almost nothing to go wrong or adjust I spend almost all my time with it riding it - not messing around with adjustments. If I were in a hillier area I would want some gearing, but I would still keep it as simple as possible. Midmotor bikes make sense for those who mainly use them for mountain biking - but just like people with their SUVs I have a feeling that not too many people who buy a mountain bike actually use them for that purpose. And yes, local bike shops push the expensive Euro brands, they have to in order to try to make some profit, but that may explain why 30% of local bike shops closed last year. My take on it is that in a few years most ebikes will be sold by the internet and since they will be serviced by the owners they will have to be simple and reliable - thus hub motors, and the few remaining local shops will cater to those with a lot of money and very specific needs. Seeing the mark down on bikes like Haibike make me wonder how many of these brands will even be in the US market by that time.

If you plot the route on ridewithgps as suggested by Mr. Coffee you can move the cursor along the route and it will show the grade at any one location. That said, you can pin point a specific section of road with Google bike maps and enter the info into a calculator. For example, here's a steep section of road in my area, 348 feet in one half of a mile= 13.2%.

Screenshot (40).jpg
Screenshot (39).jpg

Last edited:
The problem is most people try a cheap hub motor E-bike with cadence sensors like Sondors etc. (Pedego uses Dapu motor but with a cadence sensor) and get turned off. There are slightly better hub motor E-bikes like Magnum, Surface 604 etc. But then there are much better bikes like BH Easy Motion with a good torque sensor.

Seamless PAS and hill-climbing ability are two different qualities, though one can have both.
One is "feeling good", another one helps you to get where you want.
Hub with a cadence (as opposed to hub with torque) does affect performance and range, this is one of trade-offs, though doesn't quite answer the initial question of hub vs mid-drive.

Now, the hubs mentioned:
Sondors have cheap Bafang.
Pedego use Dapu, initially hubs only, now they also use mids by Dapu.
Sorry, but hubs in Surface 604 and Magnum are not any better because they are again Bafang.
BH use same Dapu as Pedego.

I agree that a hub with torque is a better value than hub with cadence.

Last edited:
The wattage was 250 and I don't know what the % of incline is. The incline is not straight up, but its not far off from that.
Somebody gave you a really bad advice on this one. Not to say that bigger is always better, but in the US people rarely buy hubs smaller than 350W. In a hilly area I would possibly want 750W hub. Or - a mid-drive. Glad it has eventually resolved for you.

30% of local bike shops closed last year. My take on it is that in a few years most ebikes will be sold by the internet and since they will be serviced by the owners they will have to be simple and reliable - thus hub motors, and the few remaining local shops will cater to those with a lot of money and very specific needs.

42% closed since 2001. Source for your figure?

https://www.outsideonline.com/2126741/death-local-bike-shop

Your analogy to Range Rovers seems solid :). I've been thinking about bike shops and online retail - it may be that bike shops become more like car mechanics and less like dealerships - a place you pay for service and parts, with some knicknacks on the walls, and less a place that you buy new vehicles. If ebiking continues to flourish, the trend could start to reverse, at least in areas where biking and ebiking is safe and convenient. If everyone got a free bicycle, they'd still spend money at bike shops on accessories and repairs.

Alex, what is wrong with Dapu and Bafang? Eg the 750W G06.

Asher, - it's a tough call.
Comparing 500W motor by one brand - that nobody ever purchased as a separate part for toying, testing and breaking :) - with 750W motor by another brand.

Seamless PAS and hill-climbing ability are two different things (though one can have both).
One is just "feeling good", another one helps you to get where you want.
Hub with a cadence (as opposed to hub with torque) affects performance and range, this is one of trade-offs, though doesn't quite answer the initial question of hub vs mid-drive.

Now, the hubs mentioned:
Sondors have cheap Bafang.
Pedego uses Dapu, initially hubs only, now they also use mids by Dapu.
Sorry, but hubs in Surface 604 and Magnum are not any better because they are again Bafang.
BH might be a better bike but their hub is again Dapu.

I agree that a hub with torque is a better value than hub with cadence.

At the risk of looking like a guy who constantly gets into confrontational mode... I will lay out my thoughts.

One problem I see is, people read too much online and have less saddle time before coming to conclusions.
Dapu motor is an excellent motor! I had put ~7000 miles on Dapu motors (BH Neo Jumper and Nitro City). They never failed on me. Agreed, I don't have San Francisco like hills. Most people don't live near SF like hills.

My Stromer ST2 can climb most grades better than my Haibike. So people making blanket statements like hub motors can't climb simply haven't spent enough time on E-bikes.

@Mr. Coffee
The problem with cadence sensor is it's very much limited by the power in each assist mode (like discrete steps) and doesn't have dynamic response.
A good torque sensor can command 150% of the peak power from the controller for short bursts and provide a very seamless and amplified power delivery. That kind of dynamic response is absent in cadence sensors. If you know how to use gears properly, a 48V, 500W geared motor with a torque sensor would be sufficient for 95% of the uses.

On the contrary, the Bosch Speed motor I use (Haibike) will climb better only if I am starting up a steep hill from dead start without any momentum. If you have some momentum, mst geared hubs will do fine. So, why are Bosch, Shimano, Brose popular in EU?

In EU, the legislation is lot more heavy handed (15mph 250W limit) and its strictly enforced, and the only way people can climb hills would be to use a mid-drive. When you get your Charger GX, you will see, it's a very refined piece of machinery that can climb hills but at the expense of speed. That is the very nature of most mid-drives. They lack some oomph needed for sustaining higher speeds. If you push the wattage of a mid-drive too high, then we run into drivetrain issues.
Again, mid-drives can be a great way to enjoy true mountain biking and even casual riding in the city.

The gearless motors used in Tesla are the size of a watermelon and produces enormous torque and speeds like 200 mph. For an E-bike, we are only talking about 20-30mph, and these numbers are easy peasy for any geared motor that can be hidden in the rear hub.

I may seem like an opinionated prick but I will stand by my thoughts until my own experience proves me wrong. My experience on E-bikes with over 24,000 miles have not made me pick sides.
Overall, I enjoy both drive systems. For a large part of the biking demography, a well built geared hub will provide a good riding experience and still keeping the price point affordable.

@BobG I recently tried ridewithgps I really like this one.

The ridewithgps version shows the same section of Hurricane MT Road hitting 15.5% with its more accurate cursor on the profile even though the average grade is 13.2% for that half mile.

Attachments

• Screenshot (41).jpg
    Screenshot (41).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Ravi,

Thanks for your clarification on what is going on with cadence sensors vs torque sensors. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

As for the rest, I think we are more or less what I used to call "violent agreement". And I very much agree that time actually in the saddle of a bike tells you much more than any opinions on this board.

Thank you Ravi, confrontation in defense of the truth is always welcome :).

Crescat scientia; vita excolatur...

... just to beat a dead horse to death ... This is a photo of the top part of the road to my house. The grade is approximately 21 percent from the switchback. There is a steeper section and another steep switchback out of sight to the right, and five longer and gentler switchbacks get me to the valley floor, where it is only about eight miles to the Post Office:

IMG_8685.JPG

For those who have followed some of the other threads, the aforementioned food truck is beyond the mountains in the distance (approximately 35 miles of gravel and 5 miles of bad pavement).

Hill-climbing with 750W rear hub: Watch from 36.45 time marker

Court - of course, who else :) - he is on Voltbike, the others are on Rads, but they are all 750W Bafang geared hub.

Looks like about 15%?

EU max 250W limit puts the discussion in a different perspective, since you can't have 750 or even 500W hub.

Last edited:
Ravi,

Thanks for your clarification on what is going on with cadence sensors vs torque sensors. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

As for the rest, I think we are more or less what I used to call "violent agreement". And I very much agree that time actually in the saddle of a bike tells you much more than any opinions on this board.

Let's keep this topic aside :)

@Mikey- had a hilarious video... man you're an endearing snob :) How could you cheat on Pedego?

There is lot more that unites all of us on this forum than divisive mid-drive and hub motor debate.... I mean we all love technology, E-bikes, great health etc.

I wish more people shared stories how they use E-bikes in their life and how it transformed certain aspects of their life. That would be make the forum lot more enriching than these technical debates.

Last edited:
@Mr Coffee - as an alternative (to getting a 500W with torque sensor), you could get a 50% bigger hub that would run 750W any time, not just in short bursts :)

But... when I look at this terrain on the photo, going 35 miles to the Mexican food truck and another 35 miles back... Can't help but thinking of moped or ATV... Hey, maybe that food truck could deliver?

Back