Making a new pedal assist system for ebike

Mourad96

Hi everyone, I’m developing my new BLDC controller for Ebike and I want to share with you some of my progress, I have been working on the pedal assist system based on the cadence sensor and I tried to improve it and make a new Pedal assist system.

This new system will scale well to your input unlike other controllers, also you can Control motor’s speed by the rate of pedaling, additionally you can adjust some parameters to feel that the ebike is responding to your pedaling effort(only in 5th gear) just like it would with a torque sensor based only on the pedal cadence.

so basically, the motor controller will sense how fast you pedal and estimates the power needed to be delivered to the motor in order to maintain that speed.

I made a video explaining the details also you can check the results and the test ride from 9:51min.
I want to know what do you think of this new system also if you have a question or any good idea to improve the ebike I would like to hear from you.

Video:

Last edited:
That’s only 1 option you can adjust the gain to feel that ebike is responding to your pedal effort in 5th gear but you can choose higher gain and the motor’s speed will be higher than your rate of pedaling(making no effort at all), the benefit of this is that you have a control over the linear speed, the speed of the motor is not set by the level of assistance instead it’s determined by the rate of pedaling

I think it is great someone is working on cadence sensors and trying to make them respond better and smoother overall
Good luck and looking forward to following your progress

That sounds good. Keep us posted. I've often wished that my cadence sensor would measure the rate of spin, and not just a simple on-off "switch."

I know that, and I like cadence sensor because it gives me this push, I like to feel the assist.
But anyways, I know some people like to be in control of pedaling, rather than getting pushed, so people prefer torque sensor.

Also, does your system have gear change indicator or gear ratio calculator?
Because when you change gears, your cadence (what you refer as "rate of pedaling") will change.
So you can't just monitor the cadence to determine your motor power.

I think solution is already there, torque sensor. It doesn't speed up like cadence sensor and they have been widely used on ebike market.
yes i agree, it's not a like a torque sensor but the system will scale well to your input, you will feel the same way as cadence sensor in other ebikes where you don't put any effort at all BUT this one will measure the rate of spin and not just a simple on-off "switch" like Bruse said
also as i said you have the option to feel that you put slight effort ONLY and only if you shift to the 5th gear because that's the reference in the ebike, if you choose any other gear it will work normal as cadence sensor but you will control the speed by your rate of pedaling.
In addition you can adjust the gain to control how the ebike will respond to your rate of pedaling

Last edited:
Reactions: JRA
Back