Luna's new bike

TForan

Great looking bike with good battery integration , which IMO is must in today's market.

https://newatlas.com/luna-x1-enduro...Ifk2ejzCSRNi3Opr9HjbitC3AdWlF9N8T30bpe6DocDoY luna-x1-enduro-ebike-full-suspension-1.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Not exactly what he said, but Ok.

Quote from article “with a conservative enough look to pass for something legal on the bike path – at least until it goes rocketing past on full power.”

Quote from article “with a conservative enough look to pass for something legal on the bike path – at least until it goes rocketing past on full power.”

Imagine an article geared to younger people that uses hyperbole. How about that.

Imagine an article geared to younger people that uses hyperbole. How about that.

This kind of hyperbole only undermines efforts to legitimize class 1 & 2 ebikes on bike paths

Great looking bike with good battery integration , which IMO is must in today's market.

https://newatlas.com/luna-x1-enduro...Ifk2ejzCSRNi3Opr9HjbitC3AdWlF9N8T30bpe6DocDoYView attachment 34479

Have you noticed Luna's trend?
They had so many custom battery shapes over a year ago and finding a replacement now would be a major PIA.

Their Fusion line of bikes had some fancy batteries: https://lunacycle.com/luna-fusion-fat-ebike-khs-3000/
They work well until something goes wrong. It is specific to one bike. They have switched to Wolf packs which is good because then you can swap the batteries onto different bikes.

The bike looks cool but finding a replacement battery 2yrs down the line would be something customers have to think about.
Bafang M600 motor still uses the Nylon gears and 2 months they put out a video explaining why it is not a good idea but since then they have taken down the video.

Other than that, looks like a nice bike with decent components. They are taking pre-orders and delivery is slated for late July or August.

What a stupid article, encouraging buyers to ride a 2,000w electric motorcycle and overtake at full power on the bike path?! Irresponsible to publish something that ebike haters could use to keep the vast majority of us banned from multi use paths and bike trails.

So long as they "rate" the motor at 749W or less the peak really doesn't matter (at least the way the federal ebike law is currently ridden). In other words it really doesn't matter what the mamby-pambies want. So long as the bike is compliant with federal law an ebike can be legally ridden on any path/lane/trail that allows traditional bikes. States can ban bikes from certain paths but they really can not single out ebikes that are compliant with the federal regulation (few people really take the time to read understand the federal and state regulations).

Note: You'll see a lot of companies rating their motors at 750W but if you read the federal regulation the rating must be less than 750W do they are probably allowing marketing people to state the specs and they don't even know what a watt is.

The younger generation believes that if you don't want to ride faster than 20mph you should probably be walking .... oh and not on a multi-use path or you could be run down.

I'm just joking around but I know that many good road bike riders hitting speeds of 45- 55kph on rides and they've been doing that for 40+ years. Why is an ebike going that fast all of a sudden a huge threat to everyone? I believe that the vast majority of bikers and ebikers ride as safe speeds for the conditions and path they are on because they are at risk of serious injury if they crash. I went down on a icy bridge about 8 months ago and hit a fence post with my head at about 22mph fracturing 3 cervical vertebrae. I thought I was a safe rider but the drizzle had begun to freeze on the wooden bridge while the sidewalk was fine. I made a mistake that cost me and will impact me for the rest of my life so I believe riders must know they are vunerable.

The bike looks cool but finding a replacement battery 2yrs down the line would be something customers have to think about.

Luna makes their own battery packs so it shouldn't be that much of a concern. If anyone is up to the task to offer a custom replacement it would be Luna.

Edit: looks like they are offering an extra 48v Panasonic GA 13.5ah battery for $520.

Bafang M600 motor still uses the Nylon gears and 2 months they put out a video explaining why it is not a good idea but since then they have taken down the video.

From what I've read on ES it sounds like Bafang realized themselves that the drive gear wasn't strong enough and as of February they switched to a steel gear. I don't think the steel gears are exclusive to Luna.

Bafang M500/M600 thread on ES

I've been following the various discussions on ES surrounding this particular Dengfu Carbon frame and Bafang M600 motor, particularly waynebergman's build:

Wayne’s Dengfu Carbon Fibre FS 27.5” with Bafang M600 thread on ES

I was hoping one of the e-bike companies might source a similar M600 build as I really didn't want to deal with the headache of ordering overseas. Many thanks to lunacycle for stepping up to the plate, not only for sourcing a quality build and offering it at a phenomenal value but also their support for the M600 drive.

I ordered my X1 yesterday. I went with the 17.5" frame and stock controller as I wanted a throttle. I can't see needing ludicrous power. The standard offering should have enough power. Luna is also offering a granny mode "for Courtesters". I'm outraged. :)

Why didn't they use Bafang Ultra?

The Ultra is too heavy. Most of us considering the M600 are looking for a lighter weight alternative that's still reasonably powerful.

Last edited:
They are marketed as 250W to comply with EU regs. Guessing actual power is higher.

Maybe compare torque instead? Luna indicates torque on the M600 is "over 95 NM". Bafang advertises 120 NM. Compare to the most powerful Bosch motor at 75 NM.

Okay, just so you know. The Luna X-1 comes with...If you are worried about it, just select the 20mph granny one.

I’ve used Luna to buy my 36v battery pack and xt90 connectors, and I appreciate they offer legal power options on their conversions. I’m not a potential customer for their high power electric motorcycle conversions, though if someone wanted to buy one with the power/speed upgrades I hope they are told the frames lack a VIN number so cannot be titled, registered or insured for riding on public roads in any US state, let alone a bike path. It’s not Luna’s products I take issue with it’s how others market them to the public.

“worried”, “granny”?? It has nothing to do with the sort of utility and transportation riding I and hundreds of thousands of us are doing until the two intersect and I read articles and blog posts reporting action taken by ebike haters citing precisely the behavior this article incites as the reason why they will not permit any pedal assist motors on bike paths. I accept responsible riders don’t do this so understand the desire for stealth, so why does the writer emphasize what the haters want to believe? I read on this forum and others riders advice ‘don’t ride like a dick’, so why should ebike companies like Luna want that to be their marketing message? That can only change if they stop paying writers to write hyperbole, that would help stop feeding the hate.

Last edited:
The younger generation believes that if you don't want to ride faster than 20mph you should probably be walking .... oh and not on a multi-use path or you could be run down.

I'm just joking around but I know that many good road bike riders hitting speeds of 45- 55kph on rides and they've been doing that for 40+ years. Why is an ebike going that fast all of a sudden a huge threat to everyone? I believe that the vast majority of bikers and ebikers ride as safe speeds for the conditions and path they are on because they are at risk of serious injury if they crash. I went down on a icy bridge about 8 months ago and hit a fence post with my head at about 22mph fracturing 3 cervical vertebrae. I thought I was a safe rider but the drizzle had begun to freeze on the wooden bridge while the sidewalk was fine. I made a mistake that cost me and will impact me for the rest of my life so I believe riders must know they are vunerable.

Ouch! Hope you had a successful recovery.

I’ve used Luna to buy my 36v battery pack and xt90 connectors, and I appreciate they offer legal power options on their conversions. I’m not a potential customer for their high power electric motorcycle conversions, though if someone wanted to buy one with the power/speed upgrades I hope they are told the frames lack a VIN number so cannot be titled, registered or insured for riding on public roads in any US state, let alone a bike path.

“worried”, “granny”?? It has nothing to do with the sort of utility and transportation riding I and hundreds of thousands of us are doing until the two intersect and I have to read articles and blog posts reporting action taken by ebike haters citing precisely the behavior this article incites as the reason why they will not permit any pedal assist motors on bike trails.

I see much more rude riding when I'm on a multi user paths from the Power Ranger peloton or middle age guys on cruisers bike than E-bike riders . We know we don't have to carry momentum, so we can slow down and be courteous to the walkers and other bike riders. On your left or a bell is also very important.

Ouch! Hope you had a successful recovery.

I was lucky and only suffered some nerve damage going to my right arm but that is coming back. I'm doing better but will probably need surgery in the future to fix my posture - I have a hard time looking up at all (the muscle contraction just kept pulling my neck down while wearing the brace and even after months of healing). I'm able to ride a recumbent bike now but still hoping to be back on a traditional bike again. It was an unlucky day but I was lucky that the result was not worse given how my head hit the post. I'm pretty sure the helmet saved me a lot more problems or even saved my life.

I see much more rude riding when I'm on a multi user paths from the Power Ranger peloton or middle age guys on cruisers bike than E-bike riders . We know we don't have to carry momentum, so we can slow down and be courteous to the walkers and other bike riders. On your left or a bell is also very important.
The people who scare me are the ones who can’t hear me (because they have headphones stuffed in their ears) and hog the entire path, and the middle age or younger guy on a beach cruiser or bmx,; usually the seat is too low, they are pushing too high a gear, or don’t have gears, and are meandering back and forth over both sides of the path.
Then there was the guy I saw yesterday busy tying the leash of what looked to be a half grown Rhodesian Ridgeback to his 8 year old daughter’s bike. Sometimes you shouldn’t listen to your kids.....

Back