Lumos Ultra, Matrix, and other lighted helmet users

AvalancheRun

Region
USA
How do you like them overall?

Are the lights effective at increasing visibility during the day?

Matrix is heavy, but it also seems to put out more rearward light.

Lastly, Unit1 has a kickstarter for their Aura which seems interesting.

I have multiple models of the Lumos helmets: Kickstart, Matrix, and Ultra. I think they're all great. I've also got their Firefly lights for synchronized flashing with the helmet. I'm like a moving Christmas tree on the road: so very visible, even during the day.

Unit 1 is basically a copycat. I've got their Faro helmet. I got put off by the company when they pivoted in the design of their Torch backpack after its crowdsourcing campaign. They did refund me my contribution.

Thanks, this is super helpful. The M-L size actually fits both my wife and I, so we're going to prioritize these lighted helmets for our city riding.

I was surprised that with our hardwired front lights, rear light bar, and varia radar we're just not that visible during the day.

I had the matrix it was so heavy once I stopped wearing a balaclava it was too much. I have the ultra I think and its fine. but I save it for winter since it weighs more. their remotes eat batteries even if you dont use it. the one with a regular battery drains in a few months without any use at all.

Thanks, this is super helpful. The M-L size actually fits both my wife and I, so we're going to prioritize these lighted helmets for our city riding.

I was surprised that with our hardwired front lights, rear light bar, and varia radar we're just not that visible during the day.
the radar is really bright. but I use high visibility flash mode ony.

I had the matrix it was so heavy once I stopped wearing a balaclava it was too much. I have the ultra I think and its fine. but I save it for winter since it weighs more. their remotes eat batteries even if you dont use it. the one with a regular battery drains in a few months without any use at all.
We're going to go with both Ultra and Matrix for city use. I've tried the Matrix and it seemed to work with a velo cap underneath, the real test is rides though. Good to know about the battery remote. Do you find the turn signals useful? Seems to be mixed opinions on that and I am skeptical.
the radar is really bright. but I use high visibility flash mode ony.
Yes, we're seeing that the other modes really don't do too much. On a trails I kick it into solid light mode, otherwise high vis.
They should tune the software a little to get more mileage out of the other modes.

I picked up a Matrix today and it was at 0% SoC. The SoC readout has been all over the place, it got up to 50%. Then down to 15% when unplugged, charged for a while to 20%, unplugged and it was at 15%. Going to try to see if a 100% charge fixes it, but so far I'm a little worried the battery is dead.

not sure if the turn signals do much. most of the time at night we dont need them. but the thing was I would find the remote dead. the normal one with a button battery would drain too.

I've not had an issue with the remote battery draining. However, the plastic covers on the buttons of the remote for my Kickstart hardened over time, rendering the remote useless. The newer remotes use a different material and have not been an issue so far.
I do use the turn signals along with my hand signals. I figure it doesn't hurt to be extra cautious.

Initial impressions of the Matrix are excellent. Lights are super bright and I can see that drivers see me.

The weight isn’t very noticeable on my Dutch bike with an upright seating position.

We're loving the helmets. Absolutely must haves for Texas riding. They especially help for when riding bicycles other than your main.

Still need more daytime visiblity. Would the Fire Flies help substantially?

I'm kinda leaning towards another wired rear light. Varia eTRL615 isn't super bright during the day.

New model: Lumos Ultra Fly which integrates their removable firefly light into the back

This is probably the direction I would go now given that it's more repairable. Not e-bike rated unfortunately

Back