looks like trek is jumping onto the moped style bikes

Just reviewed the Ponto's specs. Together, the 26 mph max assisted speed and throttle make it a mash-up of legal Classes 2 and 3. Toss in a 750W hub motor, and you have a set of specs already very popular in hilly coastal SoCal.

Unclear where these class mash-ups can be ridden legally in California. Could be problematic offroad, but my LBS owner tells me that class restrictions are rarely enforced in our area.

Not sure how the Ponto's torque-sensing assist will go over in this market. Wouldn't part with mine, but I always pedal with effort by choice. I do see some pedaling on bikes like these. But given the speeds, poor knee extension, and lack of visible effort involved, I think it's mostly ghost-pedaling on cadence-sensing ebikes.

On the subject of never, sorry if this is out of place, the FAA raisedthe weight limit on the "Light sport" aircraft to 3000# and raised the top speed drastically,I forget what else they did, so if a stodgy group like the FAA can drop a bombshell( man this going to help in so many ways) you never know what the PTB in England or Europe might do to help the ebike cause I could see elimination of one class and raising the power limits, with perhaps requirement for more robust braking systems.( we can hope-I hope Europe goes to 750-1000 watt power limits, a little more oomph can car replacement easier.)

People do that on ice. Got to love those useless plastic pedals. The drivetrain needs that sand.
The throttle tops out at 20.
PAS tops at 26.
Ghost pedal with throttle and it could do 30.

or over 25 kph in Europe or Australia.
Your e-bike would be totally illegal in Europe because of the too high nominal motor power and of the throttle. Got it?

Yes, there are illegal e-bikes in some parts of Europe (like Poland) where the law is not enforced too much. Until there are some serious accidents on bike paths.
-------
The small wheels and a moped-like riding position are for people who are as afraid of riding a normal bike as they must plant their feet on the ground on the stop while seated. There are many people of that kind. A female friend is as scared of jumping on and off the saddle as she set her saddle position as low as her knees are almost hitting her chin when's she's pedalling her hardtail bike. It makes her pedalling as inefficient as her riding speed is just ridiculously slow, and she gets exhausted after very short distance ridden. (Do I need to mention she has a motorcycle background?)

Last edited:
Your e-bike would be totally illegal in Europe because of the too high nominal motor power and of the throttle. Got it?

Yes, there are illegal e-bikes in some parts of Europe (like Poland) where the law is not enforced too much. Until there are some serious accidents on bike paths.
... or the DHL truck 🙃

My only hope is that this is a starter drug that leads to cycling culture. But I know that is not the case. This is monster truck culture. Hee Haw.

1691893157860.jpeg

My only hope is that this is a starter drug that leads to cycling culture. But I know that is not the case. This is monster truck culture. Hee Haw.
1691893476876.png

A prophet, or what?

I looked at the specs. A 650 Wh battery and a 2 A charger? :D
A dropout fork? Was not that the cause of that lethal accident involving teenage girls?

(Do I need to mention she has a motorcycle background?)
Ok, I get it. Riding motorcycles since 14, bicycles since 5. Still, I would like to test ride one of these things and see how well it performs.
Our problem is a cultural one. What is a bicycle? Once you put a motor on one we know where that goes. Not the first time.

Our problem is a cultural one. What is a bicycle? Once you put a motor on one we know where that goes. Not the first time.
Oh Mike, that is not that obvious. For me, an e-bike is an electrically assisted pedal bike (that's the Euro definition, and as you know Europe is big on cycling). There is a trend towards relatively lightweight, low power small battery e-bikes now. I have appreciated that even if my Vado SL requires a lot of effort from my side to ride compared to the more powerful Vado. Honestly, I only ride the heavy Vado when I need to ride really fast or very far. Otherwise, the "bikey" Vado SL is my first choice. I only need as much of assistance as to make my bad legs up to the level of an average healthy traditional cyclist. Or, to someone a little bit above the average :)

Yes, it is a cultural difference.

1691896287456.png

I was accepted by the gravel cycling community. Now, I ride with a small group of roadies on their weekly workouts. I'm giving the changes to ride in the lead and let my group be drafting behind me. They know I get equally tired as they do. They hear me panting when we stop halfway of the ride. They do understand. Now, fancy me trying to join the group with a throttle e-bike :D To what purpose?

Last edited:
That may be what the plaintiffs want the court to believe, but we don't know, do we?

TT
To use a drop-out fork on a heavy fast e-moped is just asking for trouble. Could we assume Trek is ordering the Ponto at one of "e-bike" factories in mainland China as any other D2C brand does?

On the subject of never, sorry if this is out of place, the FAA raisedthe weight limit on the "Light sport" aircraft to 3000# and raised the top speed drastically,I forget what else they did, so if a stodgy group like the FAA can drop a bombshell( man this going to help in so many ways) you never know what the PTB in England or Europe might do to help the ebike cause I could see elimination of one class and raising the power limits, with perhaps requirement for more robust braking systems.( we can hope-I hope Europe goes to 750-1000 watt power limits, a little more oomph can car replacement easier.)

When did that happen? That's hyuge! ~1300 was a bit of a joke

that lethal accident
Yes, it is the dropout fork but more. Oh, most dropout forks have a secondary lock. It was assembled by someone who does not know how bikes work: How to torque an axle and adjust brakes and adjust a headset. Like that lethal bike the Pronto Go can carry two. The rider was inexperienced and did not know how to descend a very steep slope. With all that weight at the backend it tended to throw that to the front when the brakes were applied on a steep slope. This bike will be professionally assembled at Trek dealers, but the poor physics are the same. Trek must figure that they will still make money even with deaths and lawsuits.

Back