Decathlon.pl Selling Illegal E-Bikes

You won't find the Stromer offer at Decathlon in West Europe. I wonder why.

Besides, Decathlon is not supported by the cycling majority in Poland anymore. The reason being, Decathlon still keeps its operation in Russia. Meanwhile, the competition opened their fine stores around, like CentrumRowerowe.pl or Sportano. Yes, many of us still wear clothes bought in Decathlon before Feb 24th, 2022.

View attachment 163161
Decathlon can only dream to have such a collection of gear at their stores. CentrumRowerowe.pl

View attachment 163162
Decathlon will not have such an impressive offer of e-bikes and bicycles as CentrumRowerowe.pl has got.

View attachment 163164
Decathlon looks shabby when compared to Sportano.pl. Here's the Sportano's showroom. In case you are interested in a specific product, you select it from a computer screen, and the sales person will bring it to you. The warehouse of Sportano is enormous.

nie pierdol dziadziu :) I get it's exciting to think you uncovered a geo-political conspiracy to sell e-bikes in Eastern Europe - but I have a strong feeiling you really might have not. Go for a ride and chill my man

1695501445177.png

It took Decathlon over a year to cease their Russian operations but the Decathlon stores will operate by the end of 2023 there.
1695521036071.png

You should visit one of Decathlon stores in Poland to see what they are offering. Very poor offer for cyclists. The stores are big but shabby.
ay caramba !?
I was testing your Polish language skill.

Thoreau declared that if the government required people to participate in injustice by obeying “unjust laws,” then people should “break the laws” even if they ended up in prison. “Under a government which imprisons any unjustly,” he asserted, “the true place for a just man is also a prison.”

The golden rule of freedom is doing anything the individual pleases unless it harms other people. Riding a high-speed e-bike on bike paths is jeopardizing other people. You cannot expect individuals are responsible if a guy rides his illegal e-scooter at 35 km/h, for instance. You cannot expect such an individual riding an HS e-bike on bike path responsibly, either.

There is also the old Roman rule: Dura lex sed lex (hard law, still a law).

REI is really focused on outdoor activities like climbing and backpacking and sells very little gear and clothing for organized sports. Whereas Decathlon sells clothing and gear for volleyball and football.

Also, REI is organized as a customer owned cooperative where members get an annual dividend (usually around 10%) and vote for board members in annual elections .
REI started as a small retailer of hiking, climbing, and camping gear many years ago in Seattle (I remember being in their store, located in a basement in the downtown area). Their trend the last 20 years or so has been toward clothing, some of it aimed at outdoor activities, some of it toward more general clothing purposes, such as drinking beer or riding the bus.
They do sell ebikes (Cannondale and Electra), and have a pretty good service dept.

Last edited:
REI started as a small retailer of hiking, climbing, and camping gear many years ago in Seattle (I remember being in their store, located in a basement in the downtown area). Their trend the last 20 years or so has been toward clothing, some of it aimed at outdoor activities, some of it toward more general clothing purposes, such as drinking beer or riding the bus.
They do sell ebikes (Cannondale and Electra), and have a pretty good service dept.
REI's first retail location was a shelf at a grocery store. Then they upgraded in about 1939 to three shelves in a gas station.

The long-time main store (and to many people, myself included, the One True REI Store) was on South Capitol Hill between Pike and Pine in two connected buildings across multiple floors.

My own personal opinion is that most great outdoor gear brands go downhill when they discover that they can make more money on clothes than they can ever make on tents, backpacks, and any actual outdoor gear. And posers are a far larger and far more profitable market than actual dirtbag backpackers and climbers.

This goes for a lot of outdoor activities. Ski clothes and ski fashion and even after-ski clothes are a far larger market than actual skis.

Patagonia figured this out and that is why Patagucci split off from Black Diamond over forty years ago. So Black Diamond could focus on making hardware for hard men.

Cycling is weird in that the product you actually need to do the activity still is the most expensive part of the kit, on the average.

REI's first retail location was a shelf at a grocery store. Then they upgraded in about 1939 to three shelves in a gas station.

The long-time main store (and to many people, myself included, the One True REI Store) was on South Capitol Hill between Pike and Pine in two connected buildings across multiple floors.

My own personal opinion is that most great outdoor gear brands go downhill when they discover that they can make more money on clothes than they can ever make on tents, backpacks, and any actual outdoor gear. And posers are a far larger and far more profitable market than actual dirtbag backpackers and climbers.

This goes for a lot of outdoor activities. Ski clothes and ski fashion and even after-ski clothes are a far larger market than actual skis.

Patagonia figured this out and that is why Patagucci split off from Black Diamond over forty years ago. So Black Diamond could focus on making hardware for hard men.

Cycling is weird in that the product you actually need to do the activity still is the most expensive part of the kit, on the average.
Thanks for correcting and filling in with better info.

I loved that store. And the thing about downhill skiing is that you buy great looking skis and clothes, walk up to the lodge, check your skis and head to the bar. Wouldn't want to mess those skis up on the bunny slope.

I have found bicycles can be incredibly inexpensive, but that's by buying a lightly used older bike. I have a fifteen year-old carbon fiber Roubaix looking at me that I bought for a hundred bucks last year. The bike was so lightly used that the original tires on it are like brand new.
The bleeding edge is what is expensive.

Did you know that the French expression for "Rollercoaster" is "montagne russe" (lit, "Russian mountain"). Food for thought...🤭🫣

It’s seems like every time I make a phone inquiry a get a nice youngster that tells me I could be member 204554. “There are over a million now. Are you sure about your member number?”

It’s seems like every time I make a phone inquiry a get a nice youngster that tells me I could be member 204554. “There are over a million now. Are you sure about your member number?”
The guy who taught me basic mountaineering back in the day had a 4-digit REI number.

I loved that store. And the thing about downhill skiing is that you buy great looking skis and clothes, walk up to the lodge, check your skis and head to the bar. Wouldn't want to mess those skis up on the bunny slope.

I have found bicycles can be incredibly inexpensive, but that's by buying a lightly used older bike. I have a fifteen year-old carbon fiber Roubaix looking at me that I bought for a hundred bucks last year. The bike was so lightly used that the original tires on it are like brand new.
The bleeding edge is what is expensive.
I was never a good downhill skier because I have an instinctive conviction that gravity is my enemy, not my friend.

I was never a good downhill skier because I have an instinctive conviction that gravity is my enemy, not my friend.
Gravity can be fun! A least with skis on you can jump off a mountain with some chance of avoiding lethal injury. Not something I do anymore. Too many screws, plates and threads holding my bones together now.

Back