Decathlon.pl Selling Illegal E-Bikes

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
I could not believe my eyes to see that on the Decathlon.pl website. Decathlon is a European (French owned) equivalent of REI. To make sure I it was not nightmare, I checked up the German website of Decathlon. No, Decathlon.de would have never been selling illegal e-bikes.

What has shocked me was the fact Decathlon.pl has started offering Stromer e-bikes. The motor power (depending on the model) would range from 670 to 940 W (it is 250 W nominal allowed in the EU). Any of the Stromers offered is a 45 km/h e-bike, making it a moped (EU allows 25 km/h for e-bikes).

Furthermore, the "competence" of Decathlon.pl is rather funny. They mention "the breath-taking torque of 52 Nm!" for the 940 W Stromer ST7. Or, naming the 27.5" wheel "size 27".

But not, Decathlon.pl is not that crazy. They simply have partnered with a totally unknown company Eleway, and it is Eleway that takes the responsibility. As if an unknown brand would take any responsibility, repairs, or warranty handling. If anything goes wrong, Decathlon.pl would simply wash their hands (Like, "It is not us selling Stromers! It's Eleway!")

The Stromers as offered by Decathlon.pl meet the criteria of the L1e-B, the Euro moped that requires registration, insurance, wearing a helmet, riding with traffic only, etc. Only Decathlon.pl has never told it to the potential customers.

Since Poland's accession to the EU, I have believed we became the real part of the European community. Now, I am not sure of that anymore. But again, Decathlon is a brand that still supports Putin.

Last edited:
REI is really focused on outdoor activities like climbing and backpacking and sells very little gear and clothing for organized sports. Whereas Decathlon sells clothing and gear for volleyball and football.

Also, REI is organized as a customer owned cooperative where members get an annual dividend (usually around 10%) and vote for board members in annual elections .

REI is really focused on outdoor activities like climbing and backpacking and sells very little gear and clothing for organized sports. Whereas Decathlon sells clothing and gear for volleyball and football.

Also, REI is organized as a customer owned cooperative where members get an annual dividend (usually around 10%) and vote for board members in annual elections .
I meant Decathlon was a network focused on any type of sports activity. Didn't make any direct comparison!

It is not illegal to sell and to own such e-bikes . It might be illegal to use it in some places, but you can freely sell and purchase such e-bikes and even legally use it in some places.

You can legally buy a gun even it is illigal to freely shoot on the streets other than for self defense purpose or in the dedicated areas.

You even can legally buy a car without a driver license and without insurance. You just can not legally drive this car on the public roads.

There are some places where it is illegal to use even 250W e-bikes (like privately owned trails with such rules) but you do not care REI sells such 250W e-bikes.

Last edited:
It is not illegal to sell and to own such e-bikes . It might be illegal to use it in some places, but you can freely sell and purchase such e-bikes and even legally use it in some places.

You can legally buy a gun even it is illigal to freely shoot on the streets other than for self defense purpose or in the dedicated areas.

You even can legally buy a car without a driver license and without insurance. You just can not legally drive this car on the public roads.

There are some places where it is illegal to use even 250W e-bikes (like privately owned trails with such rules) but you do not care REI sells such 250W e-bikes.
You're not in Europe, are you? It is illegal to sell illegal goods in Europe.
It is illegal to sell a gun in Europe to a person without a weapons permit.
It is illegal to sell a car to a person without a driving license (because the customer is expected to drive out from the dealership).
It is illegal to sell alcohol and tobacco to minors in Europe.

You probably think is is legal to sell heroin as well.

So @Chargeride you are positive about your buying an illegal thing and not using it? :D
Please do not lie. You do not own a ranch to ride an illegal e-bike on your "own property" :)

I think the government have given up, the police certainly have.
They have sort of banned the sale of hoverboards but only because of battery fires.
Everyone is riding illegal electric bikes, we are seeing a mass influx of migrants riding botched together...ha says me...direct drive frame battery bikes for food delivery.
Occasionally the media run an article about scooters and the government respond with possible legislation that never appears.
I would say in the weekday there are more illegal ebikes than legal ones on the roads by us, that changes at the weekends.
Only yesterday Im sat at a junction and two local teenage drug dealers are blocking the road doing burnouts on surrons, wearing balaclavas and staring out drivers.
We just had to sit there watching as the lights changed, I was honestly too scared to film it, they would chase you down or follow you home.
Got a throttle on my ebike? Im not even on the radar.
On that ride in Wales, I didnt see a single policeman anywhere on foot or in a car for the entire weekend.
I could have ridden a surron drunk dressed as clown.
The UK softly softly policing approach is coming up against a changing world
Its down to individual behaviour now.
The reality is there are only consequences if you have an accident with a third party.
My bike looks mostly legal, I rarely use the road and Im getting some Trek stickers for it to seal the deal 😂

Maybe if we rejoin the EU?

I think the government have given up, the police certainly have.
They have sort of banned the sale of hoverboards but only because of battery fires.
Everyone is riding illegal electric bikes, we are seeing a mass influx of migrants riding botched together...ha says me...direct drive frame battery bikes for food delivery.
Occasionally the media run an article about scooters and the government respond with possible legislation that never appears.
I would say in the weekday there are more illegal ebikes than legal ones on the roads by us, that changes at the weekends.
Only yesterday Im sat at a junction and two local teenage drug dealers are blocking the road doing burnouts on surrons, wearing balaclavas and staring out drivers.
We just had to sit there watching as the lights changed, I was honestly too scared to film it, they would chase you down or follow you home.
Got a throttle on my ebike? Im not even on the radar.
On that ride in Wales, I didnt see a single policeman anywhere on foot or in a car for the entire weekend.
I could have ridden a surron drunk dressed as clown.
The UK softly softly policing approach is coming up against a changing world
Its down to individual behaviour now.
The reality is there are only consequences if you have an accident with a third party.
My bike looks mostly legal, I rarely use the road and Im getting some Trek stickers for it to seal the deal 😂

Maybe if we rejoin the EU?
Which reminds me of a famous Sex Pistols song "Anarchy In The UK" 😊

There are illegal things available in any country. The sad thing is the biggest sports sales network in Poland has partnered with a seller of illegal e-bikes because the national management were either clueless or took a bribe.

There are illegal things available in any country. The sad thing is the biggest sports sales network in Poland has partnered with a seller of illegal e-bikes because the national management were either clueless or took a bribe.
the really sad part is, the biggest French sports sales network in Poland has missed out on seeking your legal counsel. Call them ASAP!!! :)

cheers!

You won't find the Stromer offer at Decathlon in West Europe. I wonder why.

Besides, Decathlon is not supported by the cycling majority in Poland anymore. The reason being, Decathlon still keeps its operation in Russia. Meanwhile, the competition opened their fine stores around, like CentrumRowerowe.pl or Sportano. Yes, many of us still wear clothes bought in Decathlon before Feb 24th, 2022.

1695498136914.png

Decathlon can only dream to have such a collection of gear at their stores. CentrumRowerowe.pl

1695498217656.png

Decathlon will not have such an impressive offer of e-bikes and bicycles as CentrumRowerowe.pl has got.

1695498325011.png

Decathlon looks shabby when compared to Sportano.pl. Here's the Sportano's showroom. In case you are interested in a specific product, you select it from a computer screen, and the sales person will bring it to you. The warehouse of Sportano is enormous.

Last edited:
Back