Adding a Garmin Vaira RTC715 to a Current with Range Extender

msdisme

Region
USA
I really like my current a LOT, and after riding with the Garmin Varia RTC715 rear radar/blinker/camera I really like that too! The problem that the Garmin does not have a great way to connect to anything but the seat post which (since I am not tall) is blocked by my range extender.

If anyone else has this problem here is a possible solution for you:

A combination of this Varia Mount: https://buplabs.com/collections/mount-arms/products/mount-arm-kit-for-garmin-varia-rct715, this go pro adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PXNNGLY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a bit of trimming with a scissor on this rubber gasket: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM5S256D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details worked pretty well.

It looks like this:

IMG_1834.jpeg

Big thanks to the folks at [email protected] (Eric, Rebecca, Lou apologies if I forgot anyone) for answering *lots* of questions about various ways to take advantage of the range extender rack. They pointed me at this adapter plate, that does fit with the Range Extender Rack. This is designed to work with the MIK system bags, etc. Bontrager-Electra MIK Bike Rack Carrier Plate - Trek Bikes

I drilled a 5/8" hole in a piece of 1" aluminum angle 1.5" long. A 4" piece of pvc pipe goes through the hole, prevented from falling by a #6-32 x 1" screw & elastic stop nut. The upright of the angle is drilled for 5 mm screw to go into the bosses on the back rail of the child rack on my bike. The varia o rings snap around the PVC pipe. Cost about $.20.
Varia is a great taillight, and useless as an approaching vehicle sensor. Trucks 200 meters to the right or left, on a separate Interstate roadway, through a chain link fence, set off a warning. Cars approaching a 4 way stop from right or left that I passed 100 m ago, set it off. Cars passing on the same roadway 3 lanes to the left set it off. I only want to know what is approaching me from behind. I deleted the display and just use the taillight part.

I drilled a 5/8" hole in a piece of 1" aluminum angle 1.5" long. A 4" piece of pvc pipe goes through the hole, prevented from falling by a #6-32 x 1" screw & elastic stop nut. The upright of the angle is drilled for 5 mm screw to go into the bosses on the back rail of the child rack on my bike. The varia o rings snap around the PVC pipe. Cost about $.20.
Varia is a great taillight, and useless as an approaching vehicle sensor. Trucks 200 meters to the right or left, on a separate Interstate roadway, through a chain link fence, set off a warning. Cars approaching a 4 way stop from right or left that I passed 100 m ago, set it off. Cars passing on the same roadway 3 lanes to the left set it off. I only want to know what is approaching me from behind. I deleted the display and just use the taillight part.
Nice - love to see a photo of this it sounds like a great solution and WAY less money :).

Re, the false positives - totally right - a ton of false positives. I don't really use the display but I ride with a bone conduction headphone (Shockz Aeropex in case anyone is looking) and the beeps remind me to look.

Traffic on my route is light enough that it's helpful - on the one busy section not so much.

Back