looks like trek is jumping onto the moped style bikes

As much as I basically have an e-moped because I don't pedal, I don't like those things.
I would want a full sized motorcycle styled e-moped.
I never liked gas powered mini-bikes either.
They're for kids.

I think I might like the seat though?
I don't remember getting a sore butt on my dirt bike?

As @gromike said, this all rides on savvy marketing strategy. I don’t think Trek would be plugging this class 3 bike if it didn’t feel that it would help them fill a specific niche and pad their bottom line. While some may not like it there others out there who will see things differently. The Ponto being a fun bike is meant to GO! for a spin with friends. ‘Get into some good trouble, what could go wrong?’ That statement and one look at the young fresh faces featured on their webpage says a lot about who they are trying to reach out to. With skyrocketing insurance rates for young drivers this presents a sensible, cheaper and more eco friendly alternative than an ICE vehicle. Trek is merely counting on its recognized branding in an attempt keep up with the growing popularity of this particular category.

Yeah I would rather have the Voro Roadrunner and pocket the difference. I can imagine that as I age out I may want something like that which could be a bridge between my current ebikes and a mobility scooter.
Age can change your perspective on many levels.
Right now I have no interest in that style with pedals or without.
But having pedals could help you maintain a range of motion and get a little exercise even if it's not what one would consider a work out.

This is why the USA is so f'in' great!
Everyone can do what's good for them whether on a whim or justified without some narrow minded condemnation from the Realm of the Emperor.. aka the Reich

It looks like they are ok with selling it, but not with putting their name on it.

Watching the video is enough to make my knees hurt. I feel that it won’t be too long before we see lawsuits for knee and hip injuries. The fixed seat height should be a nonstarter for anyone that intends to pedal at all. In my opinion anyway, it’s just another electric mini bike with pedals.

i cannot accept a class 2 as a bicycle. It is a motorized cycle not needing “bi” propulsion.
I love my Trek bikes. The Ponto looks like a good ride. Just don’t call it a bicycle.

Here in coastal north San Diego County, a good half of the MANY ebikes I see are Ponto-like — Super73, Radrunner, etc. Most riders look to be 8 to 21 or so. Passengers and surfboards are common. Throttling around and ghost-pedaling (on cadence-sensing bikes) are the norms.

The joys of cycling aren't completely lost on these riders. I see lots of smiles. But they seem to be in it mainly for cheap, easy, parent-free transportation in this land of beaches and steep hills. Imagine that kind of fun, freedom, and mobility at 14!

So, HUGE market for Ponto-like ebikes here. Specialized jumped in with the Globe Haul. No surprise that other big names like Trek are following suit.

Here in coastal north San Diego County, a good half of the MANY ebikes I see are Ponto-like — Super73, Radrunner, etc.
The joys of cycling aren't completely lost on these riders. I see lots of smiles. Imagine that kind of fun, freedom, and mobility at 14!
So, HUGE market for Ponto-like ebikes here.

Yeah I get it, but there's lots of 14 year olds that are more than 4 feet tall.

They really should make a version for taller kids.

Yeah I get it, but there's lots of 14 year olds that are more than 4 feet tall.

They really should make a version for taller kids.
A typical motorized scooter wheels are from 10 to 16".

You ride the thing (a 20" wheel e-moped) with your knees bent at 90 degrees. The pedals are just footpegs there. A good thing for heavy people who would had BIG trouble to mount a regular bike otherwise. Depriving these people any chance to get fit.

Again: the North American market is flooded by hundreds of similar but less expensive D2C e-bikes. The Trek is not any better.

Last edited:
i cannot accept a class 2 as a bicycle. It is a motorized cycle not needing “bi” propulsion.
I love my Trek bikes. The Ponto looks like a good ride. Just don’t call it a bicycle.

In Ontario, if it doesn't have pedals, then it is a moped.

“Under the Highway Traffic Act, mopeds are not considered motorcycles; however, mopeds require you to have the same types of riding skills as required for motorcycles, and you must hold a valid motorcycle class licence (an M1, M2(L), M2, M(L) or M) in order to drive on Ontario’s public roads. Your moped must also be registered with the Ministry of Transportation and have a valid moped licence plate attached. When registering your moped at a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office, you must show the new vehicle information statement (NVIS). If your moped is a 1983 or earlier model, and you do not have an NVIS, you may make a self-declaration that the vehicle is a moped as defined under the Highway Traffic Act. After registering, you will be given a vehicle permit and a moped licence plate.”

Pedals are added simply as a legality so it is considered a bicycle.
No license, no registration, no insurance.

A typical motorized scooter wheels are from 10 to 16".
You ride the thing (a 20" wheel e-moped) with your knees bent at 90 degrees. The pedals are just footpegs there. A good thing for heavy people who would had BIG trouble to mount a regular bike otherwise. Depriving these people any chance to get fit.

Yeah I get it.
I don't want to deprive anyone of anything, but I feel as though I am being deprived of a taller version.

Pedals are added simply as a legality so it is considered a bicycle.
You have explained it yourself. However, I think the Class 2 e-bikes do not need have the pedals in the U.S.

750 W motor and Class 3 eliminate the Ponto from Canada I guess?

Not legal in Canada anyway.
Canada is 500 W and 32 km/h.

Yeah, my ebike has a 750 Watt motor that is dumbed down to 500 Watts with the display and controller.

They dumb it down even further for Europe and Australia.

They all have a 21 amp controller.
That's over 1100 Watts on a fully charged battery.

The rules don't say much about peak power. Just nominal power.

Yeah, my ebike has a 750 Watt motor that is dumbed down to 500 Watts with the display and controller.

They dumb it down even further for Europe and Australia.

They all have a 21 amp controller.
That's over 1100 Watts on a fully charged battery.

The rules don't say much about peak power. Just nominal power.
Unlike D2C companies, Trek must respect the laws of a given region/country.

Same with Specialized. The Globe Haul ST is not available in Canada.

Unlike D2C companies, Trek must respect the laws of a given region/country.

The laws for my ebike are respected for every region/country that they are sold in.
My ebike will not go over 32 kph here in Canada, or over 25 kph in Europe or Australia.

My ebike is Really vague on its specifications and they do that on purpose to skirt the law.

There isn't much regulation on peak power, and peak power is kinda wishy washy.

I replaced my controller and display because my fricken e-bike would Launch itself when you touched the throttle.

The bike is a tank and designed to carry a rider of up to 330 lbs.

When you hit the throttle, or start pedaling again after stopping, the stupid thing would go to full power to get a lard ass going.

I almost launched the stupid thing into my neighbours backyard when I first got it.

So I went to extraordinary efforts to install a new controller and display last winter to control the power (that was kinda fun. I like electronics)

Now, with my KT controller, I can give my motor less than 50 Watts.

I can lock my cruise control at less than 3 kph.
WAY More control, but it doesn't mean that I have no power.

I've cranked up my controller to max (25 amps) and put over 1200 Watts to the motor to climb a 45° dirt trail full of ruts and rocks.
I did have to pedal for the climb, but it worked, and I got to the top.
All 100 pounds of e-bike, plus myself.

The pedals are mostly useless. The geometry is all wrong for pedaling. It is a $749 scooter for $2,700. It is not for people who love to ride bikes. I agree that the market is too tempting because demand is so strong for this crap and profits are so huge. People will just turn the left crank arm 180 degrees because pedaling is so uncomfortable and unnatural.

1691872069124.jpeg

1691872400617.png

Back