Looking for a transportable Ebike so I can ride my adult disabled sister.

SisHelper57

Region
USA
I would like to find an ebike to ride my adult disabled sister. I would need to transport on an ebike rack on my SUV, since we don't live in the city. I have looked at the Yuba Spicy Curry, but was told I would need a truck to transport it. She really wants to ride, but can't by herself. Any ideas?

Does she want to/can she pedal?
She can pedal some but needs me very close by to help. She is 63 years old Down Syndrome. She was so excited that she might be about to ride with me but the cargo ebikes that we have looked at are huge:(

There are folding tandems that might work. Bike Friday sell one that packs down so you can fit it in a car trunk, the electric option is a front hub motor. Dutch brand Azor also sell a folding tandem that can fit on a regular bike rack and could be converted with a front hub motor wheel if you ordered one with rim brakes. Worksman also sell a folding tandem but it gets mixed reviews and I’m unsure it would be a candidate for conversion without also swapping out the fork for one with disk brake mountings because it comes with a front drum brake you would lose by fitting a front hub motor wheel. But tandems require active pedaling from the stoker or it throws off the handling/balance.

If she does not want to or cannot pedal, an alternative to a cargo bike might be an adult trailer you could tow with a standard ebike, and would fold down to carry in a car trunk with the bike on your ebike rack

Last edited:
I'm dubious about the first trike collapsing. This has got to be better and more suited for a front motor. I bet you could move it around on flat ground w/o power/

We sold motors and batteries to this company, Jared the owner was a straight shooter. Not inexpensive but really fun. He uses the most reliable heavy duty mid drives available. The BBSHD.

68491221-9C7D-4783-AB13-F17AB9A1E37C.png

There are folding tandems that might work. Bike Friday sell one that packs down so you can fit it in a car trunk, the electric option is a front hub motor. Dutch brand Azor also sell a folding tandem that can fit on a regular bike rack and could be converted with a front hub motor wheel if you ordered one with rim brakes. Worksman also sell a folding tandem but it gets mixed reviews and I’m unsure it would be a candidate for conversion without also swapping out the fork for one with disk brake mountings because it comes with a front drum brake you would lose by fitting a front hub motor wheel. But tandems require active pedaling from the stoker or it throws off the handling/balance.

If she does not want to or cannot pedal, an alternative to a cargo bike might be an adult trailer you could tow with a standard ebike, and would fold down to carry in a car trunk with the bike on your ebike rack
Thanks,
If I can find a tandem ebike that folds, that could work. I just need to make sure she would hang on:)

Or you find something like this. People ride two on these, but it's tight,
Thanks, I am looking at rhe Radrunner Plus and Yuba Kondi E5 or possibly a tandem. But I have to be able to test drive with her to make she she is able. 🤞

I would like to find an ebike to ride my adult disabled sister. I would need to transport on an ebike rack on my SUV, since we don't live in the city. I have looked at the Yuba Spicy Curry, but was told I would need a truck to transport it. She really wants to ride, but can't by herself. Any ideas?
Most standard bikes racks are suitable for ebikes especially if only carrying one. Couldn't find weight for Curry but doubt it's over 30kg with battery, remove it and you drop 2.5kg . Most SUVs and cars will handle +60kg on towbar, check car's specs or label on towbar.
Length of Curry maybe issue with platform racks.

Tern GSD is other option, just as capable and lot more compact. Problem maybe finding one, they are very popular.

Thanks,
If I can find a tandem ebike that folds, that could work. I just need to make sure she would hang on:)
Jeebus,you don’t want much! I want a wine bottle that never goes dry. Being silly but that would be a real contraption!.
;)

Back