Get repaired (if possible), donate, trade in or ride into the ground?

tgianco

Region
USA
City
Folsom, CA
Looking for advice.
I have a 3+ year old Himiway Cruiser w/ a hair over 2,700 miles on it. For the last 700-800 miles, there is a weird grinding noise from the motor. I still ride it fine, but that grinding noise is, literally, like nails on a chalkboard. Think it might be the planetary gears or the magnets inside, so is this something that can be repaired reasonably?
Also, my front forks are shot. I am looking to have those replaced but would like a repair estimate before I do since this bike, while I love it still, is not worth a ton on the relsale market at this point, so don't want to spend more to repair (or even near) as I would on a new ebike. I’d consider trading it in on something else, even though I just bought a new Himiway A7 Pro. I can't see how my bike with mileage, potential repairs needed, etc is worth much more than a few hundred.
Other considerations include donating it, riding it into the ground or, if possible, trade it in on a new bike. If anyone has any ideas of what making these repairs might potentially cost, I'd appreciate it.

My co-worker and I have pulled apart 3 hub motors. It's not that hard, just watch your fingers because those magnets cause a pinch hazard! Give it a try!

You might be able to rebuild the fork if 1)They can be taken apart. And 2)If they can be taken apart, then finding all the correct seals and such. Every time I have to rebuild motorcycle forks I start dreading it, then a few hours later I have like new forks again!

My co-worker and I have pulled apart 3 hub motors. It's not that hard, just watch your fingers because those magnets cause a pinch hazard! Give it a try!

You might be able to rebuild the fork if 1)They can be taken apart. And 2)If they can be taken apart, then finding all the correct seals and such. Every time I have to rebuild motorcycle forks I start dreading it, then a few hours later I have like new forks again!
cheap forks wont have any parts really. they are disposable. hell yo would be lucky to even find that model I bet. even someone as big as suntour does not always have the parts for their forks.

Keep it if you have the space and are kinda handy. You can let friends ride it, use it as a backup, or just beat on it. As you said, it's going to be hard to get anything for it.

That's always been my philosophy with bikes. I don't sell bikes. I'll fix them up a bit and give them to friends/family, etc who want to get into cycling, but for the small sum I'd be able to recover from any of my bikes (considering what I put in them), they're more valuable to me as wall-hangers if nothing else. If you haven't heard, bikes & wheels make fun decorations.

Back