Just for fun...

Just for fun this afternoon I am going to see M3gan. Imagine if Veruca Salt (I want it now) from Charlie and the Chocolate factory is a campy singing and dancing realistic AI killer robot assigned the task of mothering and sistering an orphan. It will be a camp classic up there with Little Shop and Rocky Horror. I think it is better than yelling at a TV while gladiators maim each other for entertainment like in ancient Rome.

It turns out I couldn't see that film yesterday after all. So, I saw it today. It was very fun. She first kills a dog that attacks the girl she is to protect and serve. Near the end she rips the arm off a paper cutter and uses it like a Samurai sword. And yes, she does dance and sing.
1674519745825.jpeg

Went out shopping with my oldest daughter today. Needed some onion rings to go with dinner tonight, and Costco didn't have any. Told her we'd run down to a local Amish market to get some, but then didn't have time to run that distance. After we got some CFA I told her "let's just run down the road here to the hardware store and we'll get some onion rings"

Her: "Ok....Wot??"

Stopped at the hardware store and grabbed a bag of onion rings from the freezer.

Her: The "what the hell is wrong with you face"

Went out shopping with my oldest daughter today. Needed some onion rings to go with dinner tonight, and Costco didn't have any. Told her we'd run down to a local Amish market to get some, but then didn't have time to run that distance. After we got some CFA I told her "let's just run down the road here to the hardware store and we'll get some onion rings"

Her: "Ok....Wot??"

Stopped at the hardware store and grabbed a bag of onion rings from the freezer.

Her: The "what the hell is wrong with you face"
Doubt my 30-something kids have been in a hardware store since I dragged them into one 20 years ago. Your daughter probably didn't know that you get onion rings at hardware stores now.

Doubt my 30-something kids have been in a hardware store since I dragged them into one 20 years ago. Your daughter probably didn't know that you get onion rings at hardware stores now.
This is a unique store. It's amish owned and operated and is a full blown hardware store. Lots of good stuff in there. But off to the side it has a room that you wouldn't really notice that's stocked full of groceries with a freezer/fridge section. In typical Amish fashion, they built it to be practical. While the men are shopping for hardware, the women shop for groceries. Prices are good too.

Had the onion rings with buffalo wings for dinner tonight. They were very good, not over breaded like so many other store bought ones.

Cut onions into half inch rings. Dip rings in beaten egg, then in seasoned bread crumbs. Fry. What's so hard about that?

Well, if you want to up the original, use Japanese panko crumbs, but batter is lazy -- just trying to skip a step. 🤪

Cut onions into half inch rings. Dip rings in beaten egg, then in seasoned bread crumbs. Fry. What's so hard about that?
It's not hard, just not worth my time. I already make most things from scratch, but making onion rings isn't one that I do. We were having buffalo wings that night. I had already cut down the fresh wings, hand cut french fries, roasted the wing before frying. I use my own home canned buffalo sauce from a recipe I developed out of peppers I grew myself. I think I'm allowed frozen onion rings. :)

It's not hard, just not worth my time. I already make most things from scratch, but making onion rings isn't one that I do. We were having buffalo wings that night. I had already cut down the fresh wings, hand cut french fries, roasted the wing before frying. I use my own home canned buffalo sauce from a recipe I developed out of peppers I grew myself. I think I'm allowed frozen onion rings. :)
Seriously. A two component coating is boring. Mine include garlic powder in the batter as well a crumbs, flour, and egg.

A silly question, but, are the Amish much for spice and flavoring with lots of garlic? Hot peppers and such? As a kid I seldom saw either in a Polish grandmother’s kitchen. Heck she thought alcoholics ate the most black pepper and constantly reminded us if she thought we were using to much.

Seriously. A two component coating is boring. Mine include garlic powder in the batter as well a crumbs, flour, and egg.

A silly question, but, are the Amish much for spice and flavoring with lots of garlic? Hot peppers and such? As a kid I seldom saw either in a Polish grandmother’s kitchen. Heck she thought alcoholics ate the most black pepper and constantly reminded us if she thought we were using to much.
People seem to think that Amish food is bland. It's not, but I suspect the reason some think that is because there's this stupid cook book that's sold claiming to be Amish and Mennonite recipes. While they might be, and if they are, they're written by the women that just make dishes the way their mom made them. They don't always include the seasonings and spices, they're just tossed in because that's how it's done. So you get bland recipes written in these books.

I've had a lot of Amish made meals, no, not from a restaurant that claims to be real amish cooking, but plates of food handed to me by the ladies that prepared them. Every meal was delicious, and perfectly seasoned and spiced. What I've seen is the young ladies love pizza, the men love buffalo wings, the hotter the better for them. I know one group of courting couples went out to a Pad Thai place, even though they didn't know what Pad Thai was. They all enjoyed it.

I get sausage from an Amish butcher, made fresh every day. When I stop in, I'll normally buy 20 to 30lbs at a time. Too many places that make fresh sausage have too much sage in it, to the point it overpowers everything else. Not this place, they make a cheddar jalapeno sausage that is amazing. Plus, it's all really cheap, and no worries of soy based fillers.

Not two ingredients! You can season the bread crumbs with as many herbs and spices as you like.

Jedidiah -- I'm just joshing you!

There is a place a block from my workshop called Habit Burger that has its roots in 1969 Santa Barbara. Everything is supper fresh and their onion rings are yummy and cost 1/2 of what places charge downtown. I couldn't make a serving for less with setup and cleanup. I put seafood cocktail sauce on them; it's sort of like fried shrimp. One sandwich has a seared ahi fillet, another has a 2" thick fired chicken breast and grilled pineapple with teriyaki. Hey, what is the appeal of ranch dressing anyway? I see people dipping food in it and covering things with it.

Wife and I got back from a trip at 3am this morning and went right to bed. Got up around 9am, and was greeted by a rather enthusiastic puppy. She hadn't seen us for 2 days and her tail couldn't stop wagging.

Told the kids that from now on when we return we expect to be greeted upon our return with the same level of enthusiasm as the puppy.

Wife and I got back from a trip at 3am this morning and went right to bed. Got up around 9am, and was greeted by a rather enthusiastic puppy. She hadn't seen us for 2 days and her tail couldn't stop wagging.

Told the kids that from now on when we return we expect to be greeted upon our return with the same level of enthusiasm as the puppy.
what you want them to wag their rear ends and pee on the floor?

Back