Juiced Bikes Rip Current

I'm not sure why the Throttle-Assist Boost feature wasn't presented in the EBR RCS review. This would have not only cleared up the lack of low speed acceleration Cort was experiencing, but may have also nixed the surging issue. Plus, he would have been poopin' butterflys from the 52v's blinding speed.

What possible advantage does a fatty commuter offer. Seems an oxymoron. No advantage to more tire contact commuting....

I've brought this up before, but when the word "commuter" is paired with "bike" I envision riding on paved roadways. Granted, not everyone's commute is like mine, but I have to think the majority of commuters spend it on roads. On Juiced's website, the RipCurrent is being coined as the "Ultimate fat-tire bike commuter", but those Kenda tires on the RipCurrent are not the best choice. Tora has remarked that they have to consider what can actually be obtained in the supply chain and it's difficult to get certain tires. Now, if I work for VEE Tire Co. or Origin8 and I get a call from Tora at Juiced Bikes saying he's looking for a quality road tire for his new RipCurrent, my next question is, "Where do you want them delivered?"

Tora has remarked that they have to consider what can actually be obtained in the supply chain and it's difficult to get certain tires. Now, if I work for VEE Tire Co. or Origin8 and I get a call from Tora at Juiced Bikes saying he's looking for a quality road tire for his new RipCurrent, my next question is, "Where do you want them delivered?"

"supply chain" means cheapest available tire for the money and in China it happens to be Kenda. That's why every small ebike company such as Juiced, Biktrix, M2S, Teo, Volt..... uses Kenda's as their stock fat tires, which I will concur are truly lousy tires.

As far as fat tire commuter bikes go, I love them. I have 5 e-bikes and my favorite to ride on paved roads and off-road is still my fat tire ebike for it's all around comfortable, smooth and cushy ride. It's like riding around in that big comfortable 70s Caddy instead of your mom's Datsun B210

They are having trouble delivering them too. I was just told on chat, again, that the 52v battery Rips will start shipping "within a couple of weeks." I have been told this since March 3rd. I understand the issues Juiced has had getting the batteries delivered to SD...they now say the batteries ARE there, but have to have the GPS' installed, so..."within a couple of weeks."

I am quite disillusioned with thier customer service, simply because they will not be forthcoming about the status of our $3000. test drives. Just exclaimatory promises of imminent delivery, and a somewhat less than stellar review from EBR.

In the meantime, back to Tom Petty..."Oh the way-aa-ating is the har-ard-est part."
They are having trouble delivering them too. I was just told on chat, again, that the 52v battery Rips will start shipping "within a couple of weeks." I have been told this since March 3rd. I understand the issues Juiced has had getting the batteries delivered to SD...they now say the batteries ARE there, but have to have the GPS' installed, so..."within a couple of weeks."

I am quite disillusioned with thier customer service, simply because they will not be forthcoming about the status of our $3000. test drives. Just exclaimatory promises of imminent delivery, and a somewhat less than stellar review from EBR.

In the meantime, back to Tom Petty..."Oh the way-aa-ating is the har-ard-est part."[/QUOT

Just an update here: It is April 10th and I am still waiting for my RCS to be delivered. I was the first order on Jan. 1st. I had ordered a pump to go with it in Jan. as well, but they refunded that because they sold them all before getting around to shipping my bike. I am scheduled to receive the bike this week. If you do order one, be prepared to wait.

BTW: Has anyone received and ridden one yet?

As far as fat tire commuter bikes go, I love them. I have 5 e-bikes and my favorite to ride on paved roads and off-road is still my fat tire ebike for it's all around comfortable, smooth and cushy ride. It's like riding around in that big comfortable 70s Caddy instead of your mom's Datsun B210

I agree completely. Now, if the roads were in good condition, I might go with a thinner tire, but they're
not. I can eat potholes and expansion strips without drama. My other bike was a Trek SS district , which was great on smooth roads but I was constantly dodging road craters, which takes the fun out of riding.

Last edited:
I've brought this up before, but when the word "commuter" is paired with "bike" I envision riding on paved roadways. Granted, not everyone's commute is like mine, but I have to think the majority of commuters spend it on roads. On Juiced's website, the RipCurrent is being coined as the "Ultimate fat-tire bike commuter", but those Kenda tires on the RipCurrent are not the best choice. Tora has remarked that they have to consider what can actually be obtained in the supply chain and it's difficult to get certain tires. Now, if I work for VEE Tire Co. or Origin8 and I get a call from Tora at Juiced Bikes saying he's looking for a quality road tire for his new RipCurrent, my next question is, "Where do you want them delivered?"
What possible advantage does a fatty commuter offer. Seems an oxymoron. No advantage to more tire contact commuting....

A "fatty commuter" offers little to no advantages over a commuter bike. A fatty commuter Ebike is a completely different story. It's levels of pedal assist remove any inefficiencies caused by the tires and extra weight. Think of it as an electric Caddilac that's able to go off road. The tires are cushy and sure-footed for dirt or snow, so it can be ridden in all weather and year round in many parts of the country where it snows. If your commute entails pot holes, dirt or gravel, or if you're a heavier or older rider, a fat eBike is an excellent option. Oh, and it's absolutely ferrocious when one flys by you. That's what got me hooked.

Well this is why there are so many different frame geometries and tire sizes. Enjoy!

It's like riding around in that big comfortable 70s Caddy instead of your mom's Datsun B210
Great comparison, for me it's more like steering a 40's ford tractor. I'll try a more upright setup with new handlebars and see how that is. The leaning over handlebar position is not comforting. I have the bike I'd like to enjoy the ride...
Thanks for the feedback!

After seeing the first page of this thread... There are a ton of fatbikes at competitive prices from direct to consumer brands - Yukon, Teo, Juiced, Biktrix, Sondors (and some others I haven't seen). Eg 15-20ah, 500+ watts.

I can't say I've seen anything like that for what the CCS is - sporty commuter. All I see is underpowered overpriced stuff from Stromer, Trek, and Specialized. What gives!? Lol. I would think the market for commuters is bigger, but evidently not.

And Juiced still is selling out of their fatbikes despite the wealth of alternatives.

The biggest problem for the small retailers seems to be keeping bikes in stock. Not a bad problem if you are selling out, but definitely an issue for the consumer.
Or, they don't stock the bikes in the $1500-$2500 price range where a lot of interest seems to be at least with first time buyers like myself. The LBS in my city are either carrying some really underpowered cheaply built bikes or top end bikes over $3k, but nothing in the middle.

And Juiced still is selling out of their fatbikes despite the wealth of alternatives.
But what is the rest of the market doing? Everything FB is still significantly more expensive than sub 2.5” frames. I have two Panaracer Fat Be Nimble tires that were raved about and $60+ each. I’ve offered them for $30 each with no bites. It just isn’t a mover and shaker, in the bike world. I’m so glad I didn’t make a business investment, and stayed with flat foot designs. Thats a small enough market, but more common the fatties. Again Id have another go if there was a Townie FB (fat bike).

Or, they don't stock the bikes in the $1500-$2500 price range where a lot of interest seems to be at least with first time buyers like myself. The LBS in my city are either carrying some really underpowered cheaply built bikes or top end bikes over $3k, but nothing in the middle.

I'm wondering if most LBS don't carry the sweet spot ($1500-2000) bikes because there isn't enough profit in it. Especially once you factor in the odd warranty service, maybe they think it's not worth the time or money? It's a shame, because that's how people would begin to seriously consider using ebikes as viable car alternatives, and possibly spend more on the next purchase. I currently have 2 bikes which cost under $2000, and I'm open to the possibility that an R&M, Specialized, or Stromer may be more polished or reliable. But there's no way I was paying that much for my first ebikes. That's like asking someone to buy a Lamborghini as their first car.

Companies like Sony, Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and even Chevrolet, have a diverse product line. This enables people to buy entry level products, build brand loyalty, and continue to spend more as their income or needs grow. I'd love to see an ebike company adopt this strategy. The tricky part may be justifying the difference in cost between the different models.

My sister got a Surface 604 Rook from Bike Attack, a popular bike and ebike store in LA. It's exactly the kind of mid range bike you're talking about. She said the salesman said it's their top selling model. After you subtract the retail margin (25% or so), it's in line with direct to customer bikes I've seen, though not a speed pedelec.

I expect that value brands like Surface will continue taking sales from makers that offer less for more $.

https://surface604bikes.com/products/rook-electric-cruiser-bike

I'm wondering if most LBS don't carry the sweet spot ($1500-2000) bikes because there isn't enough profit in it. Especially once you factor in the odd warranty service, maybe they think it's not worth the time or money? It's a shame, because that's how people would begin to seriously consider using ebikes as viable car alternatives, and possibly spend more on the next purchase. I currently have 2 bikes which cost under $2000, and I'm open to the possibility that an R&M, Specialized, or Stromer may be more polished or reliable. But there's no way I was paying that much for my first ebikes. That's like asking someone to buy a Lamborghini as their first car.

Companies like Sony, Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and even Chevrolet, have a diverse product line. This enables people to buy entry level products, build brand loyalty, and continue to spend more as their income or needs grow. I'd love to see an ebike company adopt this strategy. The tricky part may be justifying the difference in cost between the different models.
You nailed it on all points. With a budget of $2k and living in the middle of Pacific, my options are limited. I've considered inching that up to maybe $2500 for the right bike at a LBS in order to have the local support. I'm certain that this won't be my first ebike and the next one will probably be higher up the price scale once I've determined what features I like and don't like about my first ebike.

In the meantime, back to Tom Petty..."Oh the way-aa-ating is the har-ard-est part."

Juiced has a very hard time or they just don’t look ahead and keep a stock of the bikes that customers want. I would like a Juiced HyperFat but when I emailed them they danced around my questions of when will the HyperFat be available again. Do they just sell it twice a year ? Last reply from Juiced they said that they are waiting on batteries. So I than asked well are the HyperFat’s being build in the meantime so when the batteries arrive the bike will be ready to be sold. No answer!

Saw this video on YouTube. Not a great video but it gives you some idea of the riding experience. I know some of you are eagerly awaiting your orders.

Has anyone got any information regarding the next batch of RipCurrent S bikes? I ordered mine at the end of March based on an Early May delivery proomise. Without having to deal with the Chinese New Year slowdown that backed up the last batch, Early May seemed realistic. But Juiced's history of missing deadlines isn't making me confident either. If anyone knows whether the second batch is either on schedule or behind schedule I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks!

Back