Is a Slime Seal (Tube) Permanent?

Dude I use it in all of my tires get over it. but I am noting its failures something you seem to take offense of.
The problem is that you seem to be very much in the minority with your stories about Slime's failures. I'm not saying it can't fail but your meter needs a good whack. If I were the only one saying Sllime work really well and just about everyone else was talking about how bad it is, I'd have to reevaluate my position or just quit talking about it.

I'll say again, your experiences with Slime indicate you are using it differently than most people. For example, are you using the amount specified on the bottle? I don't know about anyone else, and I don't make much effort to measure accurately, but I'd say I use a third more than recommended. Maybe you live in the North American Goat Heads Capitol and the rest of us only travel on swept and vacuumed trails. I don't know, but something is significantly different.

TT

The problem is that you seem to be very much in the minority with your stories about Slime's failures. I'm not saying it can't fail but your meter needs a good whack. If I were the only one saying Sllime work really well and just about everyone else was talking about how bad it is, I'd have to reevaluate my position or just quit talking about it.

I'll say again, your experiences with Slime indicate you are using it differently than most people. For example, are you using the amount specified on the bottle? I don't know about anyone else, and I don't make much effort to measure accurately, but I'd say I use a third more than recommended. Maybe you live in the North American Goat Heads Capitol and the rest of us only travel on swept and vacuumed trails. I don't know, but something is significantly different.

TT
actually except for fat tire bikes slime has a pretty bad rap. once the PSI went down then it started working for others. I have used slime and flat-out and Stans and muck off (thats what I am using now and a couple of others. I use way more usually than recommended. but I ride a crap ton more then most around 9000 miles a year. I don't get very many flats because I use really puncture resistant tires, but in the rain I have never had any of them work. I have had some flats fixed but it's usually because whatever gave me the flat fell out of the tire. I think it has worked on my 50 psi 2.5" tires I have found them really low then pumped them up and they stayed. but so often whatever gave me the flat is flush with the tire and I cant feel it till I take the tire off. thats the most common or the hole is too big. Stans has worked the best but it tends to dry out and I can go months between flats.
rubber cuts easily when its wet and thats when I get the most flats and since the sealant is water based it can get washed out and I ride a lot in the rain.
but muck off plugs my presta valves the worse. either I cant fill the tire or the valve wont close al the way and it leaks. its easy to clean the valve but its happened at least 4 times on two bikes. maybe they have worked and I did not know it I have found the tube stuck to the tire before. but I have had failures too.

Last edited:
I have tubeless setup.
I use the race sealant after I Crack the Tyres open and pour it in and refresh it with Stan's sealants.
No flats. Da Ridiculous Bike is due for new sealant refresh.
if I had more flats I would go that way all my rims are tubeless but its a hassle for as few flats as I have.

if I had more flats I would go that way all my rims are tubeless but its a hassle for as few flats as I have.
Make up my mind? You're making an ass of yourself.....

"Dude I use it in all of my tires get over it." That being the case, I'm left wondering why are you using it in ALL of your tires?
"its a hassle for as few flats as I have."

excuse after excuse, etc, etc, etc........

I agree with @Tars Tarkas . IF you are actually using it, and for whatever reason it's not working for you, please realize you are a minority, and further, it has NOTHING to do with the fact you're running it in tires requiring higher psi (65psi +). -Al

Make up my mind? You're making an ass of yourself.....

"Dude I use it in all of my tires get over it." That being the case, I'm left wondering why are you using it in ALL of your tires?
"its a hassle for as few flats as I have."

excuse after excuse, etc, etc, etc........

I agree with @Tars Tarkas . IF you are actually using it, and for whatever reason it's not working for you, please realize you are a minority, and further, it has NOTHING to do with the fact you're running it in tires requiring higher psi (65psi +). -Al
man the lengths you are going to try to prove me wrong is amazing. I am not making excuses I am posting my findings of using different sealants. if you don't agree with it thats your choice. I don't agree you can go 6 months without filling your tires excuses excuses. I have heard so many complaints about slime over the years that thats the majority.

man the lengths you are going to try to prove me wrong is amazing. I am not making excuses I am posting my findings of using different sealants. if you don't agree with it thats your choice. I don't agree you can go 6 months without filling your tires excuses excuses. I have heard so many complaints about slime over the years that thats the majority.
OK, enough. Let's agree to disagree? I'll stay mum on whatever the BS you want to spread - until YOU mention tube sealants don't work. At that point, where you are spreading bad info, we'll be right back into this....

OK, enough. Let's agree to disagree? I'll stay mum on whatever the BS you want to spread - until YOU mention tube sealants don't work. At that point, where you are spreading bad info, we'll be right back into this....
I did not say they didn't to work I said. Have had a lot of failures. please read better.

Tubeless is the way to go
Tubed tyres is inferior even with green slime.
Not my choice.
they have disadvantages too lots of maintenance and if you do get a hole that wont seal it. can be fun. Plus they need air more often.

Can Slime be manually installed in a tube with a Presta valve? Thanks.

If the tube has removable cores, yeah. You can put any sealant in there.

You should be able to get a syringe kit for $15 - $20 that makes the job super easy. If you're super frugal, I've gotten them from the vet before for free to little. And the look that you get when you ask for a horse syringe is priceless. Really just need that and some tubing/fittings that'll fit the syringe snugly and still fit inside the valve.

+1 to the comments on high pressures and sealant. There is a limit.

flat out wont go through a syringe. its just too thick. the tubes that come with them are too lose on presta valves. so its easy to make a mess. much off fills well not sure how well it works it likes to plug the valves or make them leak.

Huh. Never heard of that stuff before. They claim it lasts 10 years.

1669433139870.png

ya I have heard it works great on the low psi fat tires. but it is like snot :D

So maybe stick it in the microwave before putting it in the syringe 🤪. Yeah, ok, naah, don't do that. But maybe warm it up a little bit?

I use Stan's in my fat tires (and all the others). Well, I think 2.5 on a 29er is fat. 15-17 PSI, tubeless...no flats or rapid air loss other than burps. They do require more maintenance, but if you absolutely, positively don't have time for a flat...

So maybe stick it in the microwave before putting it in the syringe 🤪. Yeah, ok, naah, don't do that. But maybe warm it up a little bit?

I use Stan's in my fat tires (and all the others). Well, I think 2.5 on a 29er is fat. 15-17 PSI, tubeless...no flats or rapid air loss other than burps. They do require more maintenance, but if you absolutely, positively don't have time for a flat...
stab=ns seemed to work the best and it does not really plug up the valve. but it is more maintenance too. if the muk off pink stuff does not work back to Stans. the Muk off made me think I had a flat in the front nope it just caused the valve not to close all the way so I had to take it off and clean it. its like the 3rd or 4 time that happened with it.

Are you mixing different brands of sealant in the same tubes? If so, that pretty much nullifies your ability to speak to how any brand works.

As for Slime, I really can't imagine how you are managing to clog your valves! Especially repeatedly!! You need to try again with some adult supervision and report back.

TT

How does something with such a high viscosity get to a leak quickly?
The centrifugal force of the spinning tire causes the sealant to completely coat the inside of the tube. The escaping air from a puncture causes it to migrate to the leak. Slime will pool at the bottom of the tube when the bike is parked for a period of time but quickly spreads out again when the tire begins to rotate.

flat out wont go through a syringe. its just too thick. the tubes that come with them are too lose on presta valves. so its easy to make a mess. much off fills well not sure how well it works it likes to plug the valves or make them leak.
More BS. I think maybe we're dealing with somebody that has the patience level of a 6 year old.....

Back