In the beginning, and desire...

Oh yeah no way to a roof rack! I have a hard enough time muscling up my bike to my bike stand!

On the gravel part of yesterday's ride. Since then, Planet Bike Blinkie (3"), and Cygolite Metro 500 added ;)

izip-dash-picture.jpg

I'm sure it's not legal for streets at all. Quite frankly nothing I can get me moving faster and for longer is going to be. It does weigh 10lbs more than my Stromer which is already a beefcake!

Michael Brown is the same guy who manages Stealth USA. Last week he told me that grace one reaches 32mph, and when I questioned him about the legal stuff, we both smiled and he told me Grace mx2 would be a better choice.

James, I believe you have a full suspension stump jumper. BBS_02 will be releasing their new version this July. 48V, 12 or 20ah battery of your choice and can reach 55kph in deregulated mode.
Justin at Grin can help you with that and installation etc. The total cost of conversion for your existing bike <$2000 and a cruising speed that is unmatched by any of the existing bikes.

Michael Brown is the same guy who manages Stealth USA. Last week he told me that grace one reaches 32mph, and when I questioned him about the legal stuff, we both smiled and he told me Grace mx2 would be a better choice.

James, I believe you have a full suspension stump jumper. BBS_02 will be releasing their new version this July. 48V, 12 or 20ah battery of your choice and can reach 55kph in deregulated mode.
Justin at Grin can help you with that and installation etc. The total cost of conversion for your existing bike <$2000 and a cruising speed that is unmatched by any of the existing bikes.

I do have a Trek but it doesn't have a full suspension. The BBS_02 does seem like the way to go.... but with how many km's I put on my bikes and how untechy I am when it comes to electric bikes, I do prefer the purpose built frames and how well they work together. I've never thought much of putting speed and torque on a frame that was only ever designed for pedal power only.
Anyway maybe there's some more info about some frames that a guy could hook up with that are purposed built.

It's 94 degrees here with a heat index in excess of 100. I took a little dash on the Dash after I got my household chores and errands done. 10.5 miles in about 1/2 hour. I got very good exercise and stayed relatively cool because of the speed. PAS 2 on the way out, and PAS 4 on the way back.

At assist level 4, I was doing 25-30 mph depending on the grade.

I am very happy with this bike!

Thanks to everyone here at EBR, and a special shout out to Ravi, who made my purchase possible.

:D

Took the Dash to Forest Park in Saint Louis city yesterday.

I wasn't into this ride for the exercise, but to enjoy the scenery. Forest park is quite large for a city park, and has a multitude of bike paths (click show bike paths in the link above if you are curious). The surface of the asphalt is pretty poor in places, and some of the trails are windy and through overhanging trees (I had to sway and duck a lot). A storm appeared to be brewing, so I didn't ride for as long as I wanted to.

The handling of the Dash is quite nimble, which helped dodge debris on the path. I was using PAS1 most of the way, and the assist on the slight and moderate hills was more than enough.

The complete silents of the motor is a blessing when riding on bike paths populated by people who might be annoyed that I am getting 'help'. BTW, using assist to extend range while building my legs back up is the silent blessing of eBikes.

Laying the bike on its side in the back of my Honda CRV is getting old. I may buy a rear rack that supports the bike at the wheels. I'm gonna have to go back to Forest Park and further explore when the threat of rain isn't there.

BTW, a serious spandex wearing rider blew by me at one point. For a brief second, I thought about hitting PAS4, and catching up, but that would have just been wrong.

Or would it? ;)

It is a beautiful park!! I live about 45 minutes away, but it was worth it. I'll do it again, and try and learn all those convoluted paths. The ones that wind through the woods are my favorites.

People tend to block the path, and I have to keep saying "on your left", and they sometimes get annoyed. :(

The worst part is the bike paths cross the regular roads fairly often, and it can be a little dangerous.

Here is another great ride that I did last Sunday (June 14th, and I posted about it in this thread). I parked on the west side of the Missouri river, and went on ALL the paths that were leading to, and in the park (click "bicycle" in the map to see the bike path). :D

About 10 years ago before I had an electric bike I rode the Katy trail. 5 days. awesome trip, I encourage you to check it out

I would get a rack that has a greater capicity than my bike, too much at stake at 75MPH down the freeway and one pot hole could ruin your day, 40 lbs per bike rated w/a bike ADVERTISED as 49+ lbs...I don't believe insurance will cover an event

Mark

Katy trail rides (not the whole length) are definitely going to happen for me....

The Curt rack (although more expensive), has a 90 lb total capacity, so not much more than the 80 lb of the Prorack.

I'm thinking my 50 lb Dash, and another aluminum MB of ~30 lbs shouldn't be a problem for either one.

Thoughts?

Also, I worry that "wobble" about the receiver could be worse for some of these racks. Any experiences anyone can relate would be helpful.

Katy trail rides (not the whole length) are definitely going to happen for me....

The Curt rack (although more expensive), has a 90 lb total capacity, so not much more than the 80 lb of the Prorack.

I'm thinking my 50 lb Dash, and another aluminum MB of ~30 lbs shouldn't be a problem for either one.

Thoughts?

Also, I worry that "wobble" about the receiver could be worse for some of these racks. Any experiences anyone can relate would be helpful.

Removing the battery and seat post would reduce 10lbs easily. Some tie-down straps on both wheels??

The rack Brian(J) linked to has tie downs for both tires of both bikes, which is quite nice. I wonder if it will clear the spare tire on my 2006 CRV... Anyone know?

I would definitely remove the battery from the bike before transport (as I already do), so that is a very good point Ravi!

Anyone know how much the battery weighs?

I can't mention enough, that this bike is really, really fun to ride. It is getting me out, pedaling, and getting exercise, although probably less (and less aerobic) than a regular bike.

But hey, I'm getting more exercise than sitting on the couch, right????

There are racks that have higher ratings, they just cost more. I may be a little more conservative than you. On my hitch rack the bikes move enough to make me uncomfortable . I add up the value of what i am carrying: 2 Stromers , the value of the rack getting ripped of my vehicle, the damage to my vehicle, the damage to the cars (people) behind me. I personally don't think this is an item to skimp on at all.

I will quit before the horse is dead :)

Mark

No worries Mark, I asked for opinions!

Right now, I just put the Dash inside my CRV, derailleur side up, and it works OK. It's just a little bit of a pain to get in there, and if I have a friend along, I have no place to put the other bike.

Hence, have a trailer hitch receiver installed, and get a decent "tray" type carrier....

I guess it isn't as simple as I thought.....

The class three 2" receiver can definitely handle the weight, but can the rack handle it....

THAT is the question!

;)

I have 1 1/4" hitch. To anyone that hasn't gotten a hitch but is thinking on it get the 2" !!!! so many more options and safer, depends if your vehicle can have the 2" installed
though

I spent over 4oo for my rack . I would have gone w/the Thule for 699 if it was available 4 years ago. My back would love the ramps. I don't go out w/my rack for "shorter" trips unless
i have someone w/me to help put the bikes on and off.
Your CRV can take the 2". anything that fts a 1 1/4" can be be used w/an adapter but so just buy a 2"rack, simple (except for the money of course :) )

Last edited:
My hyundai Elantra supposedly can not take a hitch. I would probably have it installed anyway but I think the liability coverage might be affected in case of an accident.

I can get a 2" receiver installed for about $200 for attaching the bike rack. I don't care about lack of access to the hatch, so it doesn't have to fold. I would prefer that the carrier be "tray" style, and that it un-attaches easily, since I would probably only put it on when hauling the bikes. It should be able to carry a step-through bike as well.

Prices range from $80 to well over $400 for the carrier alone.

Most of the ones I have seen are 1 1/4", and have an adapter to fit the 2" receiver. Maybe the more expensive ones are natively 2".

Since Brian has already purchased the Prorack2, and promised to report here, I will anxiously await his opinion.

OTOH, Mark has a good point. That being how bad it would suck to have a $2K+ bike tumbling down the highway..... Is this a case of less expensive is not good enough, (the cheap bike racks are made for hauling kid's bikes), or there are deals to be had on quality racks if one looks carefully enough....?

I Just ordered this and will report in once it's here.

Looks like a pretty good deal to me. Right now, I have a roof top Yakima rack for my bicycle and kayak. However, lifting the Dash up and trying to connect the wheelless suspension fork was not so easy. It got me thinking of a back hitch rack like this one.
Question: Can the second bike supports be removed to make it a one bike stand? Looking at the picture it looks like the first and second bike supports are independent and one of them could be removed.

Back