In the beginning, and desire...

Do you think this would help me achieve a higher top speed? Or would I just be wasting my time with it? I'll buy it today if it would allow me to maintain 35+mph. I don't really see how if my motor shuts off at 28mph though.

James, you were the first person that came to my mind when I read about this but as you pointed out ST1 platinum cuts off at 28mph.
Some of the BBS02-8fun kits are unregulated and this could useful.
My thoughts are, if you reach pretty high cadence when you're at 28mph then this could be helpful but you don't need shell out $300 for that. A larger chain ring would do.
I think you you are aware of this. Ebikes.ca in Vancouver are the experts when it comes to DIY ebikes.
Moderators/Admins on Endless Sphere forum have very high regards for these guys (Justin and gang) and I think if you give them a call, you could learn a whole lot more about possible options.

James, you were the first person that came to my mind when I read about this but as you pointed out ST1 platinum cuts off at 28mph.

Any thoughts Ravi on this kit? Do any mainstream manufactures produce a bike with this set up?

Hi Vern,
Admin of ES forum had a nice write up here: http://www.electricbike.com/bafang-bbso2-750w-mid-drive/

This is something I am learning about. This kit could be mounted on any hardtail and the cost of the kit with 48V, 12Ah battery comes close to $1100. You could easily reach speeds up to 35mph+ which is not possible on any turnkey ebike as I know of. Even the monster Grace One can only reach 33mph.
Unfortunately, none of the mainstream manufacturers sell this kit (this would destroy their existing turnkey ebike business!!)

Look at this commuter bike: 48V, 12Ah ~ 30+mph and the cost is $1200

Hey Rav,

Yeah I was just on their site emailing them when you responded! I'll let you know what they say about their system and how it would work with my particular bike. I actually have been interested in getting an enclosed system to do away with the front derailing system. We shall see what they say!

Since my "regular" bike is down with a bad shifter cable, I decided to take the Dash on a popular bike path here (Creve Coeur park, in Saint Louis county Missouri). I started on the West side on the Missouri river, where there is a parking lot. Went over the bridge (downhill), and entered the "park" area of the path. It's mostly flat, with a few climbs to go over bridges (rivers, streams, roads, etc.) Since I need to build my legs up, I did the ride in Turbo mode, but didn't use the throttle except once).

First, this bike rides quite nicely as non-powered. Secondly, it IS heavy, so those hills were a little rough. Thirdly, I could have really used a lower gear (but I wasn't using the bike for it's intended purpose).

The ride was about 17 miles, and on one brutal uphill, I used throttle only (my legs were pretty played out by then). It powered up the hill quite nicely with no pedaling. Nice to have that option when you are tired.

;)

At the very end of the ride is a circle under a highway, up hill to a bike path over the Missouri river. Then, it was uphill for the entire bridge. My legs had recovered a little, so I decided to have a little fun. There were two road bikes in front of me, laboring up the hill (middle aged couple, but obviously fairly into biking based on their bikes). It put the Dash in PAS4, and started cranking HARD. I went past them like a shot, zoomed over the whole bridge at 27-28 mph, giggling like a school girl. I got to my car, had a nice rest, drink of water, walked a little to loosen up the 50 year old legs, and got the bike back in the car before they even made it to the parking lot.

So, I DID get some good exercise, had a thrilling ride, and (possibly) looked like super-dude.

I'm still giggling.....

Is that so wrong?

This bike was worth every penny!

:D

Oh, BTW Currie....

It sucks that the trip odometer resets when the bike auto-powers off. I had to use Google to figure out how far I rode.

:(

Since my "regular" bike is down with a bad shifter cable, I decided to take the Dash on a popular bike path here (Creve Coeur park, in Saint Louis county Missouri).
I'm still giggling.....

Is that so wrong?

This bike was worth every penny!
:D

Enjoy the ride and I can tell you, ebikes transform the way you think of short commutes. :)

My thoughts are, if you reach pretty high cadence when you're at 28mph then this could be helpful but you don't need shell out $300 for that. A larger chain ring would do.
I think you you are aware of this. Ebikes.ca in Vancouver are the experts when it comes to DIY ebikes.
Moderators/Admins on Endless Sphere forum have very high regards for these guys (Justin and gang) and I think if you give them a call, you could learn a whole lot more about possible options.

Here's what the boys at Grin and Info wrote me today:

Hi James, all the patterson will do is enable to you keep up a moderate pedal cadence at these high travelling speeds so that your legs aren't spinning like crazy. It's not at any way connected to your ebike electronics or speed limits (which is likely a function of your battery voltage and not a software function).

-Justin

I figure I already do that fine on my own. Too bad!

Here's what the boys at Grin and Info wrote me today:

Hi James, all the patterson will do is enable to you keep up a moderate pedal cadence at these high travelling speeds so that your legs aren't spinning like crazy. It's not at any way connected to your ebike electronics or speed limits (which is likely a function of your battery voltage and not a software function).

-Justin

I figure I already do that fine on my own. Too bad!

Too bad James.
If the system was unregulated like some of the BBS-02, then it would have been fun to cruise at 35mph..!!
It's only very few like you that need such cruising speed and I don't know anyone who travels 55 miles EVERYDAY on an ebike..!!

Too bad James.
If the system was unregulated like some of the BBS-02, then it would have been fun to cruise at 35mph..!!
It's only very few like you that need such cruising speed and I don't know anyone who travels 55 miles EVERYDAY on an ebike..!!

Well maybe someone will come along who needs someone to put a lot of miles put on their new technology! 35mph sounds just about perfect for how straight and uneventful my commute is.

Well maybe someone will come along who needs someone to put a lot of miles put on their new technology! 35mph sounds just about perfect for how straight and uneventful my commute is.

Sorry, I just realized that BBS-02 makes use of a mid-drive, so Patterson drive is not a good candidate..! for that but may be some other hub-drives.
Your social experiment of commuting 50 miles is very interesting/inspiring. You should become an ambassador for Stromer :) or rather Stromer should appoint you as their ambassador.
If the bike survives 3 years of rigorous use, your experiment becomes a testimonial for Stromer bikes mettle.

I don't see it for sale yet in Canada, but the European website says this:

http://www.grace-bikes.com

It looks like it's for sale at E7999.00!! Holy s*it that's pricey. I guess it would be around 15K here. You know what kind of machine I could get someone to build me for even just 5K?

Here's what I got from the GraceUSA boys this morning:

Hi James,
We appreciate your recent inquiry into Grace Electric Bikes, so we would be happy to provide an estimate at your request. Please let us know your complete delivery address for an estimate and we would be happy to provide any assistance.
  • Link for Grace Bikes USA
  • Grace One : $5,599.99 Rigid Fork
  • Grace One : $6,699.99 Suspension Fork

Regards,
Michael

Michael Brown
480.320.3814 direct line
[email protected]
GraceBikesUSA.com

That's actually not too bad considering you can crank it up to 45km/h with a throttle!! If you could hack into that controller and up it (which I'm sure you could since it's a 1300watt motor) that thing could be insane!

not sure how it pedals though. It really is becoming an electric motorcycle. It is heavy to be at the edge of practicality to put onto a bike rack and drive somewhere to bike.

I'm sure it's not legal for streets at all. Quite frankly nothing I can get me moving faster and for longer is going to be. It does weigh 10lbs more than my Stromer which is already a beefcake!

Yeah. I have a hard time fiddling with the rear wheel when attaching the Stromer to a roof rack. It is at the edge of 'acceptable weight'

Back