In the beginning, and desire...

You are too smart James!

I'm not one who feels enjoyment spending money, but I NEED the exercise, and I quit smoking 1.5 years ago (I now "vape"), but my lungs are soooo much better.

I KNOW I will be getting the exercise I need now!

:D

Hey guys,
Any thoughts on Zero S electric motorcycle?
I'm torn between leasing an electric car vs Zero S.
I'm not an avid motorcyclist and if you have some info/links about any electric motorcycle, I would dearly appreciate that.

I am pretty sure that the Zero motorcycle is what got me interested in ebikes to begin with. Let me go back in time about a year ago.....

I was looking through the Saturday morning paper. Yes as in newspaper; a few of us still get those things. In the paper there was an article about the Zero motorcycle and that other electric motorcycle. I can't remember the name. It may have been the Brammo. Anyway, I thought that the Zero was the coolest thing in the world. I started doing research about electric "bikes" and the rest is history. The history was I decided I couldn't afford/rationalize an electric motorcycle, but I stumbled across e-bikes and YES I could justify that! If I were young, dumb, and single I absolutely would get that ZERO. Unfortunately, I am old, married, and of questionable intelligence, so I'm out.

If I were you, I would probably just get a Leaf or a Volt. Nah!! Scratch that!! You're young, single, and smart. Get a ZERO. Like my students say, "YOLO!"

That's awesome Vern.
Starting from Zero and ending up with a Carbon. You gotta be one of the coolest teachers for your kids..!!
Very very rarely you see a faculty using an ebike.

You're right, Zero and Brammo are the two big brands. While Zero uses a proprietary charger, Brammo uses a Chademo charger found on Leaf/Volt.
Few big concerns are winter riding and the necessity to wear full face helmet/safety gear for highway riding conditions.

Next year, we all should get together again and get a fully loaded ebike :)

Since you have an e-bike for nice weather days, maybe the you should get a car. If you already have an economical car, then get the Zero. However, like Court mentioned, motorcycles are dangerous. Please be safe. Absolute power corrupts...If you have the means to have all three, that sounds good too. My brother has a Jeep Wrangler that gets TERRIBLE mileage. So, he got a motorcycle to save money. He wanted something more practical, yet still economical, so he then got a Jetta diesel. I find it VERY ironic that he has spent about 40K in order to try to save some money on gas. He now has all three and drives the Jetta 99.9%, but still pays the licence and insurance costs for all three. I am far too practical to have a garage full of vehicles to suit my every whim, but a Honda Accord and a Neo Carbon are a nice compromise. To me, a motorcycle is a lot like having a truck, ,boat, or pool. I really wouldn't want to own any of them, but it is really nice knowing someone who has them so that you can indulge once in a while. I might just fly to DC to try out your Zero if you get it. HA

...motorcycles are dangerous.

Bicycles are dangerous. Here in Eugene I think I hear about more bicyclists getting killed by cars than motorcyclists. At least with a motorcycle you are going the same speed as the cars.
Where I ride my bicycle, I have cars and trucks passing by me at 50 t0 70 mph, sometimes within a foot or two, while I straddle the edge of the road going 25 mph. Now, that's dangerous!!
But then again, I am a passionate motorcyclist first and a part time for fitness bicycle rider. I feel more vulnerable on my bicycle than when I'm riding my motorcycles.

Bicycles are dangerous. Here in Eugene I think I hear about more bicyclists getting killed by cars than motorcyclists. At least with a motorcycle you are going the same speed as the cars.
Where I ride my bicycle, I have cars and trucks passing by me at 50 t0 70 mph, sometimes within a foot or two, while I straddle the edge of the road going 25 mph. Now, that's dangerous!!
But then again, I am a passionate motorcyclist first and a part time for fitness bicycle rider. I feel more vulnerable on my bicycle than when I'm riding my motorcycles.
Very true and good point. Although I disagree.
On a both a motorcycle and a bike you really are at the mercy of other people on the road. Where I ride, however, I feel much safer on a bike. At least on a bike I have access to bike paths that are completely isolated from the road as well as some larger bike lanes that are pretty safe. Also on a bicycle/ebike, the fastest I am going to crash is around 25-30mph. On a motorcycle, who knows!!

I've ridden motorcycles on- and off-road for decades, commuting, lane splitting, touring, etc. and an e-bike for only a few months, so I'm still acclimating - and loving it! So I'm still transitioning, as it were...

I agree with @Charly Banana that bicycles are dangerous. In fact, at first the lack of safety equipment such as an Aerostich or leather jacket, full face helmet, leather gloves and over-the-ankle boots was eerie. The corresponding bicycle-related gear is tissue paper and a shrug in comparison! My GF's orthopedist and physical therapist (treatment for a non-cycle-related broken wrist) both agree - bicycles accidents result in worse injuries for a given speed and conditions.

I added a mirror, bell and lights to my bike and felt more secure - particularly with the mirror. Even so on the e-bike I practice the same wariness as on the bike and act as if I'm invisible to cars. Still, I have primitive brakes (they're quite good cable-actuated discs, but don't remotely compare to those on a motorcycle) and no acceleration to speak of. So are bicycles more dangerous than motorcycles? For me at least the answer is certainly yes.

Like @Vern I am fortunate when it comes to bike paths - I can do most of my commute off city streets and on a paved trail along San Francisco Bay. And holy cow do I love it! It's been decades since I've been on a bicycle - almost as long as I've been on a motorcycles, come to think of it - and it's so sweet to be back. :)

So for now at least I'm a hypocrite when it comes to safety. Maybe there's good bicyclist safety gear and I haven't found it yet, and so far the convenience of commuting or running errands in street clothes is too great.

Last edited:
I've ridden motorcycles on- and off-road for decades, commuting, lane splitting, touring, etc. and an e-bike for only a few months, so I'm still acclimating - and loving it! So I'm still transitioning, as it were...

Like @Vern I am fortunate when it comes to bike paths - I can do most of my commute off city streets and on a paved trail along San Francisco Bay. And holy cow do I love it! It's been decades since I've been on a bicycle - almost as long as I've been on a motorcycles, come to think of it - and it's so sweet to be back. :)

I agree with you Chris..!
Yesterday I was on a long 62 mile ride on my ebike and it was the most pleasant experience on a 2 wheeler. I took a 2 hour break in between and charged by battery in a restaurant but you know one of those days when you sleep really peacefully and deeply, I felt that once I returned home.
I explored many trails that I never knew existed and met some wonderful people. BTW I never ride on busy roads. Not worth the risk.

On cycle paths/ trails, it is double the fun, triple the scenery and a sense of freedom that is unmatched. I see roadies too focused on their efficiency, aerodynamic posture, cadence etc. I'm in my casual sports shoes and shorts, cruising at 22mph and still looking around, smiling, enjoying the greenery.

All old Currie USPD components removed from the Trek bike. Rode 11.3 miles to continue getting my legs back in shape. Front derailleur cable frayed down to one strand on the ride, and I lost use of the large front sprocket. Now I need to find a new cable, but I really enjoyed the ride!

BTW, that ride was after a 135 mile motorcycle ride!

A very good day for me!

;)

Yesterday I was on a long 62 mile ride on my ebike and it was the most pleasant experience on a 2 wheeler.

I'm impressed!
The most I've ridden a bicycle is about 20 miles. You must be in great shape and a true bicyclist.
Sounds like you really enjoy your bicycling. That's great.

I'm impressed!
The most I've ridden a bicycle is about 20 miles. You must be in great shape and a true bicyclist.
Sounds like you really enjoy your bicycling. That's great.

Thanks Charlie.
I am sure you did something similar when you were 29..!!
I would never be able to do 62 miles without electric assist :)

Been lurking and reading this post, just wanted to say eeeek so excited you are getting your bike tomorrow. I have to wait a week for my eBike (it's a totally girly model) but I'll be checking out to see how you are getting on with yours.

Bike arrived, and I had to put the handlebars, pedals and front wheel on. It was drop-shipped from out if state (big discount). Adjusted everything, and checked for tightness on most everything. I thought I would have to wait for the battery, but it was on the bike in the box. The box showed evidence of being opened, so I assume they re-torqued the bb at the factory. Battery topped off in about 1.5 hrs.

This thing is sweet!

Assist level 1 is more than enough for my flat neighborhood.

I look forward to a longer ride!

Congratulations! Please do share your thoughts as rain is spoiling my new Dash party here. I'm sure that you feel just as blessed as I do to have a decent bike...and an electric one to boot.

Congratulations guys..!!
Dash and World Cup = double bonanza.
Dash is a very nice bike from Currie. Post some pictures when you can. :)

In my brief time in the saddle, I have just a few observations:

The "thrust" using throttle alone feels "weaker" than I expected. It is sufficient (and I intend to primarily use pedal assist), but even in PAS 1, the thrust from pedaling feels quite good (maybe even a little much).

Previous reports claiming the bike is not just quiet, but silent are right on the money!

Fit and finish look excellent.

I do have a nit to pick though.... I prefer my brake levers to be angled down so as to be easier to reach (see Trek bike pic in first post). Unfortunately, there is significant interference with the throttle wire, brake lever assembly, and quick shifter that prevented me from positioning the brake levers at my preferred angle. This is a minor issue, and if it bugs me too much, I will loosen everything up on the right handlebar, and attempt to reposition the throttle, such that the wire comes out from the bottom (instead of the front), which should provide enough clearance for the quick shifter to be positioned properly, and the brake levers to be angled down enough for my preference. Thinking about it, maybe the rotation I would want for the throttle, would be "up", resulting in the throttle wire coming up from the top....

In my opinion, the LCD display mounting could be improved. For a "permanent" mount (as it is now), clamps on both sides would be more stable, and ensure the display does not tilt to one side (as is visible in one of Court's video reviews). Better yet, a quick release mounting bracket would be a major improvement.

I did notice a little brake squeal, but I'm assuming that will be reduced when the pads and disks "seat" against one another (bed).

Only two miles, and only in my neighborhood. :( It is beautiful today where I live but I'm stuck at work....

:(

Oh, and a question:

Does powering off from the handlebar (fully off) actually turn of the battery as well?

Thanks.

More opinions and observations when I get to actually put some miles on the Dash.....

Back