Im trying to weed my way through all the info,but, oh my!

First question is on the Piaggio. I see that the Comfort + is a no go because of the belt, but is the lower end Comfort that is chain drivin a possibility as a decent bike? Are they a viable company to do business with? I'm looking for a comfortable step through and that is one that caught my eye. I want an easy approach preferably mid drive for hills that has the tires and a little cushion for dirt-pothole roads around me. I liked the specialized vado but am not sure the step through is low enough. I'm 5'2 and an out of shape 62 year old hoping to get some fun exersize started before I'm completely past the point I can! Anyone have any thoughts or info on that?n

Last edited:
I read through court's review. I don't see anything major wrong with it. Nuvinci 360 drive is okay except in extreme hills. 11.5 AH battery give as they say 35 mile range minimum, that may be fine for you. 28" tire tubes are not sold in my grocery store, you'd have to get them on line or maybe at a very serious bike shop. 28" wheels will smooth out the bumps some. 1.6" tires could be bigger, I ride 2". Be sure to buy the smaller frame, the 19.7" frame would have you leaning forward quite a bit.
20 mph limit, class 1 so no throttle. The 9 speed shimano gear cluster should be reliable if you don't buy the nuvinci CVS hub. the hydraulic brakes may require professional maintenance at some point; I'm rather afraid of them and bought mechanical disks. But I stay in summers 35 miles from the nearest bike shop, I have to be able to fix the bike by myself and get home. Most bike shops will not touch an electric bike they didn't sell, even to repair something like brakes that are common to all upper end bikes. So make sure you have a bike shop in mind if you order off the internet. Or can afford that mobil service that comes to your house. The piaggio motor is low volume; you're not going to get a lot of help for it online if there is a software problem or something.
I'm 69 and riding 20 miles a week in the winter and 70 miles a week in the summer. I didn't start that way, when I quit work 11 years ago I wasn't up to those distances. But you can build up. I will say I have a particular problem with the handlebar snapping out of my hand on bumps & ridges, snapping sideways and a conventional bike pitches me on my chin. I do realize my hands are below average in strength, but it happened 4 times in 5 years, also when I was age 11. 1 comfort cruiser, 3 mountain bikes. I bought a stretch frame cargo bike shown left to put more of my weight on the front wheel and make the tire stick to the pavement. 2 years on that, I havent' been thrown off. If you are European, African or Asian ancestry and are in shape, you may not have a problem with that. Do wear a chin guard helmet as the Fox Rampage is my advice if you buy a conventional frame bike.

Last edited:
I read through court's review. I don't see anything major wrong with it. Nuvinci 360 drive is okay except in extreme hills. 11.5 AH battery give as they say 35 mile range minimum, that may be fine for you. 28" tire tubes are not sold in my grocery store, you'd have to get them on line or maybe at a very serious bike shop. 28" wheels will smooth out the bumps some. 1.6" tires could be bigger, I ride 2". Be sure to buy the smaller frame, the 19.7" frame would have you leaning forward quite a bit.
20 mph limit, class 1 so no throttle. The 9 speed shimano gear cluster should be reliable if you don't buy the nuvinci CVS hub. the hydraulic brakes may require professional maintenance at some point; I'm rather afraid of them and bought mechanical disks. But I stay in summers 35 miles from the nearest bike shop, I have to be able to fix the bike by myself and get home. Most bike shops will not touch an electric bike they didn't sell, even to repair something like brakes that are common to all upper end bikes. So make sure you have a bike shop in mind if you order off the internet. Or can afford that mobil service that comes to your house. The piaggio motor is low volume; you're not going to get a lot of help for it online if there is a software problem or something.
I'm 69 and riding 20 miles a week in the winter and 70 miles a week in the summer. I didn't start that way, when I quit work 11 years ago I wasn't up to those distances. But you can build up.
Thanks so much. I looked at evelo and Dost, I live in the sticks pretty much, The closest bike shop is Trek , the next closest carries Speciized. I considered the Verve but I really dont like the big battery, so obviously an ebike. If I can find something that's an integrated battery that would be my preference.
I do hope I can be riding 20 miles a week at some point good for you! I've gotten so lazy.any suggestions are welcome

I do hope I can be riding 20 miles a week at some point good for you! I've gotten so lazy.any suggestions are welcome
With my cargo bike I do all my shopping off the bike. Which means when I'm hungry or out of supplies, I ride the bike. Takes less will power to get out. I rent a U-haul truck once or twice a year for big things. I quit at 58, didn't have social security til age 66, so not replacing the car saved a lot of money in the lean years.
BTW the yubabikes bodaboda I ride (left) also fits small people. The drop frame model, not the one for big poeple. I have 28" pants inseam. It was perfectly adjusted when I got it, but they are not cheap. OTOH the wheels don't break spokes as radwagons are reputed to do. They have shimano drive now which means if you get stronger after a year, you can start riding without power as I do, without any motor drag. I use the motor for days when the wind is >13 mph in my face, especially on my 30 mile commute to my summer camp. Or if I twist my knee out there and can't walk or pedal at all for a week.

Last edited:
With my cargo bike I do all my shopping off the bike. Which means when I'm hungry or out of supplies, I ride the bike. Takes less will power to get out. I rent a U-haul truck once or twice a year for big things. I quit at 58, didn't have social security til age 66, so not replacing the car saved a lot of money in the lean years.
BTW the yubabikes bodaboda I ride (left) also fits small people. The drop frame model, not the one for big poeple. I have 28" pants inseam. It was perfectly adjusted when I got it, but they are not cheap. OTOH the wheels don't break spokes as radwagons are reputed to do. They have shimano drive now which means if you get stronger after a year, you can start riding without power as I do, without any motor drag. I use the motor for days when the wind is >13 mph in my face, especially on my 30 mile commute to my summer camp. Or if I twist my knee out there and can't walk or pedal at all for a week.
I dont know that a cargo bike is what Im after, but Ill sure check it out

First question is on the Piaggio. I see that the Comfort + is a no go because of the belt, but is the lower end Comfort that is chain drivin a possibility as a decent bike? Are they a viable company to do business with? I'm looking for a comfortable step through and that is one that caught my eye. I want an easy approach preferably mid drive for hills that has the tires and a little cushion for dirt-pothole roads around me. I liked the specialized vado but am not sure the step through is low enough. I'm 5'2 and an out of shape 62 year old hoping to get some fun exersize started before I'm completely past the point I can! Anyone have any thoughts or info on that?n
Are you located near a Giant dealer ?
Did you look at Electra ; they're owned by Trek ?
Is there a Giant Dealer nearby ?

What Evelo did you look at? I kind of like the Aurora LE. But may be too heavy / look too much like an ebike for you.

Dost drop isn't a bad option for step through. I just wish they hadn't chosen the BBS02 (no torque sensing). And kind of heavy too.

If you thought the Vado step through was too high I'm guessing the Giant Liv won't work for you either.

Maybe look at the FLX step through? It's a M600 motor (tad noisy) but won't break the bank.

If you are a new FLX customer and decide to go that route feel free to use my referral link for $50 off your first order: https://flx.bike/td

Here is another option if you want to save some money. Not sure about sizing:

I have ordered a few bikes from the BD website without any issues... always a good value if you don't mind a bit of assembly. ;) (no affiliation)

2020 Motobecane Front Suspension, Integrated Battery, Shimano STEPS MidDrive $1799.95

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Here is another Shimano mid-drive commuter bike to consider under $2K... includes fenders, rack, hydraulic brakes, and front suspension.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...cycles/ebikes-electric-bikes-elite-eurban.htm

Last edited:
Are you located near a Giant dealer ?

Did you look at Electra ; they're owned by Trek ?
Is there a Giant Dealer nearby ?
I think the closest Giant dealer is about 6 hrs away( 3 when the pass is open) the trek dealer is the only one real close, but they dont carry ebikes at all I will have to ask about if they would service one.

Tomdav those all look like decent options. I havnt looked into the fx or motobecane? They look nice! I havnt heard of them. Yes,it is the Aurora I had looked at and the Dost but only online. (Looks like dost has a 16 day trial period, but how in the world do you box it back up?) I wish there was a place to see and ride some as I dont really know enough how to judge quality for price. I am willing to spend around $3500 if it is something that checks the right boxes. but if I can spend less for a decent bike that sure would be nice!. Most of my riding would be close and is dirt or gravel and bumpy, some hills. but some pavement as well. The only people I know with ebikes have the Rad, but they dont appeal. I f the quality and price point come out that it is the better choice I would go for one where the battery is exposed (aurora trek verve, dost?) They all seem.heavy to me so I dont know if a pound or so will make a difference in the end? (Of course the lighter the better)
What if all these do you feel is the best bang for the buck? I am so ignorant it is all overwhelming!

Cuttingloose, congrats on your decision to get an ebike. You are in for a fabulous time.
Agreed on the Vado not being a true step through fame. Mine Vado is considered mid-step. As much as I love it, occasionally I would like a true step through frame.
The Giant LaFree has received some great reviews on this forum. Quick, smooth, & comfortable. And some of the new 2020 Treks are step through, Trek Verve + 3 .
Test riding will help narrow the field, so I encourage you to do as much as possible.
And finally, you will be surprised at the miles you will accumulate quickly. Not simply because riding is obviously easier but because it’s so darn much fun!

Tomdav those all look like decent options. I havnt looked into the fx or motobecane? They look nice! I havnt heard of them. Yes,it is the Aurora I had looked at and the Dost but only online. (Looks like dost has a 16 day trial period, but how in the world do you box it back up?) I wish there was a place to see and ride some as I dont really know enough how to judge quality for price. I am willing to spend around $3500 if it is something that checks the right boxes. but if I can spend less for a decent bike that sure would be nice!. Most of my riding would be close and is dirt or gravel and bumpy, some hills. but some pavement as well. The only people I know with ebikes have the Rad, but they dont appeal. I f the quality and price point come out that it is the better choice I would go for one where the battery is exposed (aurora trek verve, dost?) They all seem.heavy to me so I dont know if a pound or so will make a difference in the end? (Of course the lighter the better)
What if all these do you feel is the best bang for the buck? I am so ignorant it is all overwhelming!
Cuttingloose, congrats on your decision to get an ebike. You are in for a fabulous time.
Agreed on the Vado not being a true step through fame. Mine Vado is considered mid-step. As much as I love it, occasionally I would like a true step through frame.
The Giant LaFree has received some great reviews on this forum. Quick, smooth, & comfortable. And some of the new 2020 Treks are step through, Trek Verve + 3 .
Test riding will help narrow the field, so I encourage you to do as much as possible.
And finally, you will be surprised at the miles you will accumulate quickly. Not simply because riding is obviously easier but because it’s so darn much fun!
Thanks for the encouragement Marcijo! Its embarrassing how far out of shape I am ( I cut hair for 40 years and my feet and shoulders-neck are junk!) I hope to narrow it down a bit and then go on a roadtrip to test drive! I live in a very small (250 ppl) mountain town so depending where the bikes are I will need to wait till some snow melts and passes open! I am reading about them a lot, ( I think mid drive, a little bigger tire, some suspension and step through is what I want?) but honestly, I dont speak the language! The folks around here are extreme fitness to say the least,and so far a lot havn't embraced the ebike "thing" lots of trails though. Spending this kind of money I really need to know what I'm doing!

I would consider the flx step thru and putting 2.3 tires on it, pretty sure you can fit those

if the giant someone recommended has the yamaha motor that is a very reliable motor system

The flx is pretty light, one of its best attributes imo
I like the looks of this bike , but am concerned reading reviews on the FLX people were saying to avoid this company! Eeeek! Wish the Dost and Aurora were a little more streamlined but so far I havnt read anything bad...a hybrid bike I guess is what I want? Still love the looks of the Piaggio comfort but Looks arent everything as they say!

Agree flx does not have as good a rep as rad and some others

For me I don’t worry about that as much as others, as long as I can get parts pretty sure I can get someone to install them or if I have to can do it myself

If there is a yamaha bike that comes close they tend to be rock solid reliability and if you don’t have a shop close for repairs might be your best bet

Or maybe Evelo if they use velofix? And it is available in your area...
They have great warranties but I thought the bikes were pretty heavy

Agree flx does not have as good a rep as rad and some others

For me I don’t worry about that as much as others, as long as I can get parts pretty sure I can get someone to install them or if I have to can do it myself

If there is a yamaha bike that comes close they tend to be rock solid reliability and if you don’t have a shop close for repairs might be your best bet

Or maybe Evelo if they use velofix? And it is available in your area...
They have great warranties but I thought the bikes were pretty heavy
As I know nothing, and am not exactly "next door to ebike shops I better be careful about that I think? I will look at yamaha bikes (?) and the Giant one recommended as well as the Evelo. So SO appreciate all the help!

am sorry to be confusing, I was under the impression that giant uses all of most yamaha motors

I think any giant step thrus have a good chance of being yamaha but not positive

Anyone know anything about the moustache Lundi 26? Its goofy looking but in a good way? Seems solid good step through ... but maybe hard to find service?

Back