Im trying to weed my way through all the info,but, oh my!

Cuttingloose, check your private messages (message icon at the top). I'm pretty sure there's a member is your area with a Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB Elite that might let you take a test ride. Gazelle has some reasonably priced low steps in your price range. I would probably step up to the Gazelle Ultimate T10 HMB.

Last edited:
Cuttingloose, check your private messages (message icon at the top). I'm pretty sure there's a member is your area with a Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB Elite that might let you take a test ride. Gazelle has some reasonably priced low steps in your price range. I would probably step up to the Gazelle Ultimate T10 HMB.
The ultimate looks awsome! A little more $$ though I better keep saving. (Trying to figure out the p.m. ) Yes ,it looks like she is just north of me? Thanks! Ill look into that bike for sure. I'm back to looking at the Aurora as well. As they seem to be having a March madness sale

As far as the Aurora, they use a BBS02. It's a Chinese Bafang motor that's smooth, quiet and has a proven track record, but it does not have torque sensing, only cadence sensing. Same with Dost bikes. They use BBS02. If you step up to the Aurora LE you get torque sensing, and a nice looking belt drive / geared hub system with electronic shifting. But the motor is Dapu without a track record in mid-drive motors. Edit: note comments here regarding Dapu mid drives.

I really do think that Gazelle ticks all your boxes for a low step, and has the latest Bosch motor (quieter and lighter than previous generation). If you're not buying locally you might save 10% sales tax online which makes it a little more affordable if any of the Gazelle dealers out of state will ship. At 58 pounds it's going to be a bit heavy to lift (but you get a very rigid frame).

Last edited:
As far as the Aurora, they use a BBS02. It's a Chinese Bafang motor that's smooth, quiet and has a proven track record, but it does not have torque sensing, only cadence sensing. Same with Dost bikes. They use BBS02. If you step up to the Aurora LE you get torque sensing, and a nice looking belt drive / geared hub system with electronic shifting. But the motor is Dapu without a track record in mid-drive motors. Edit: note comments here regarding Dapu mid drives.

I really do think that Gazelle ticks all your boxes for a low step, and has the latest Bosch motor (quieter and lighter than previous generation). If you're not buying locally you might save 10% sales tax online which makes it a little more affordable if any of the Gazelle dealers out of state will ship. At 58 pounds it's going to be a bit heavy to lift (but you get a very rigid frame).

You are quite convincing! Thanks for walking me through it. I will definetly lean that way if I can afford it. I'm trying hard not to buy from China as EVERYTHING Seems to come from there!! Gazelle is French I believe? (Not much made here these days is there?) I need to see where the closest dealer is. Thanks again

You are quite convincing! Thanks for walking me through it. I will definetly lean that way if I can afford it. I'm trying hard not to buy from China as EVERYTHING Seems to come from there!! Gazelle is French I believe? (Not much made here these days is there?) I need to see where the closest dealer is. Thanks again
Just to reiterate, Gizelle: step through, comfortable enough on pothole, dirt and gravel roads. Hills not a problem ,Bauche motor, so I could get it serviced here. Integrated battery. Quality components ,decent bang for the buck (ish) ?

Gazelle is Dutch. That's propel bike's video (not me, haha). They are a dealer in CA. There are a few reviews online (including one by EBR). As far as potholes, I'm not sure. Maybe @Cowlitz can chime in regarding the front suspension on the Gazelle Arroyo which looks similar.

If money is a concern there are some great options that show up on BicycleBlueBook with zero miles. I personally do not worry about Chinese motors and ordered a Frey CC. It came loaded under $3500 but did not suggest it for you due to the high step and single size frame.

Gazelle is Dutch. That's propel bike's video (not me, haha). They are a dealer in CA. There are a few reviews online (including one by EBR). As far as potholes, I'm not sure. Maybe @Cowlitz can chime in regarding the front suspension on the Gazelle Arroyo which looks similar.

If money is a concern there are some great options that show up on BicycleBlueBook with zero miles. I personally do not worry about Chinese motors and ordered a Frey CC. It came loaded under $3500 but did not suggest it for you due to the high step and single size frame.

Oh dear... that one is certainly closer to my price range and does look like a nice quality for money.... I'd have to test out that higher step for sure but it still looks lower then the specialized? At 5'2" is it even a consideration for me?

Frey told me they recommend for 5'3" to 6'3". So probably not. An upside of Chinese motors like Bafang is you don't pay a small fortune for a spare battery.

Another option is the OHM Cruise. I only mention it because it looks quite similar to the $1800 motobecane from bikes direct with the same (excellent) Shimano steps motor but the OHM is $1100 more without front shock. Gives you an idea of what a nice buy the motobecane is for $1100 less! I think bikes direct is currently sold out though. I haven't seen any reviews on the motobecane, although you might ask this bike mechanic what they thought of it.

Bosch is a good motor, if you have a repair shop go with that one
Bosch & Bafang are mid drive motors that drag the motor when ridden unpowered. So if you have electrical problems with one of those, you call a tow truck or push it home. Yamaha & shimano mid drives have a one way clutch that allows pedaling unpowered without drag. As one gets stronger, I would hope one could pedal longer and longer parts of the distance without power. I use my power for days when the wind is >13 mph in my face. Else I ride unpowered.

Is that still the case with the latest Bosch motors? In the propel video above I believe they indicated the new motor had no drag.

Cuttingloose, The Frey cc is a low step so pretty easy to get on from what I have seen in videos but not quite a step through but the Chinese girl pictured riding it was only 5'2". The main problem is the wait time to get one. You didn't mention if you want/need a throttle or not because that will eliminate quite a few of the ones you are looking at.

Cuttingloose, The Frey cc is a low step so pretty easy to get on from what I have seen in videos but not quite a step through but the Chinese girl pictured riding it was only 5'2". The main problem is the wait time to get one. You didn't mention if you want/need a throttle or not because that will eliminate quite a few of the ones you are looking at.
I am not passionate about with or without a throttle.. I can see some scenarios where it could be nice but it's not a deal breaker either way. More is quality for price .comfort on our bumpy roads, ease of mount, and I do prefer a more "streamlined '' bike if I can afford it. I do like the looks of the frey quite a bit, but am Leary ordering from china I admit. The price is better too but it's no use to me if I cant get it!

Last edited:
The Giant Lafree has a belt instead of a chain right? The Piaggio Comfort + that I was so fond of ended up having issues with the belt didnt it? should that worry me with the Giant as well? I never did hear if anyone knew anything about the base Comfort model from Piaggio.that is chain drivin?

My concern with the Lafree would be the 7 pound rear rack battery which will make it top heavy. Really, you don't want that!!

As far as Frey backlog, they posted delivery time for new orders is 50-60 days, so roughly ~2 months. Not that big a deal. It's 3 weeks longer than normal. Another potential downside of the Frey CC is it's going to be heavy to lift with full suspension, ultra motor, and 840wh battery. Consider how you will be transporting and storing your bike.

Whatever you do, don't rush your purchase. I'd ask around and see if you can find a few other users in your area with ebikes. Take a few test rides to see what you like and don't like. Dont go to a dealer and make an impulse buy. It's a big investment and you have plenty of time. Weather won't be getting nice here in WA for at least 3 months anyway. ;)

Not to confuse you with more options but you might want to call crazy lenny's (popular dealer on EBR) to see what kind of deals they have on mid drive step thru bikes. They have been offering steep discounts on BH bikes due to BH retrenching from the US ebike market. The bikes still come with 5 year BH warranty.

For example, note the deal on this bike (unfortunately it's a rear hub motor which might not be the best if you have steep hills):

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I'm guessing they might offer up to 50% discount on the Atom Street and Atom City Wave which have a Brose T mid-drive motor. The Brose motors are exceptionally quiet and smooth (same motor brand that Specialized uses):

https://www.crazylennysebikes.com/?s=bh&post_type=product

And here's another option from the pro's closet. Size might be perfect for you:

Certified pre-owned (see terms). Free shipping. The annoying thing is the pro's closet tacks on sales tax in WA. Kinda destroys the deal. Although you can get $20 off your first order with coupon RIDETIME20 and 3% cash back via activejunky.

Last edited:
Back