Im trying to weed my way through all the info,but, oh my!

Ok, thoughts on Trek?
Verve+3 Verve +4,lowsteps or Alant+7 lowstep?
Does anyone actually own a frey? My husband and I were thinking of getting some small motorbikes (monkeys) for when we go camping for scooting around expkoring and going up steep logging roads passes etc. Perhaps the frey or something similar would fit both needs?

As far as Trek, the Verve+3 is the only model of those you mentioned showing up on the Trek US website. Looks like it has an entry level Bosch motor. I'm sure it's decent but wouldn't excite me enough to pull $3K out of my wallet.

Crazy Lenny's put the BH Atom Street up as their crazy deal today. Not sure whether it comes in multiple frame sizes (some of the UK sites show medium and large so that's a good sign). At $1780 this is probably the best buy so far of any mid drive if you want a low step, with a Brose motor to boot! It has 26" tires which may make it feel smaller to you.

Another dealer (note glowing comments about Brose motor):

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Video:

Another mini dealer review (this is for the Wave which has 28" tires):

As far as Frey, my Frey CC is in production and will arrive late April. I'm in Issaquah and would be happy to let you check it out once it arrives. Tons of feedback on ES about Frey bikes.

You don't necessarily need to buy a Frey if you want the Ultra. Quite a few bikes with the Bafang Ultra. None that I know of with a low step (FLX has that one with the Bafang M600 which is about half the power but still pretty powerful).

Last edited:
As far as Trek, the Verve+3 is the only model of those you mentioned showing up on the Trek US website. Looks like it has an entry level Bosch motor. I'm sure it's decent but wouldn't excite me enough to pull $3K out of my wallet.

Crazy Lenny's put the BH Atom Street up as their crazy deal today. Not sure whether it comes in multiple frame sizes (some of the UK sites show medium and large so that's a good sign). At $1780 this is probably the best buy so far of any mid drive if you want a low step, with a Brose motor to boot! It has 26" tires which may make it feel smaller to you.

Another dealer (note glowing comments about Brose motor):

Video:

Another mini dealer review (this is for the Wave which has 28" tires):

As far as Frey, my Frey CC is in production and will arrive late April. I'm in Issaquah and would be happy to let you check it out once it arrives. Tons of feedback on ES about Frey bikes.

You don't necessarily need to buy a Frey if you want the Ultra. Quite a few bikes with the Bafang Ultra. None that I know of with a low step (FLX has that one with the Bafang M600 which is about half the power but still pretty powerful).

That looks terriffic! (Lennys deal)I'd love to jump on it! my hang up with (both that and the Frey) is where to get them serviced? How often would I need to? How do I find out who works on them? the dealer near here only works on Bauch motors. If I went with the Atom wave , I would sure save money but who would work on it if needed?

BH is a 100+ year old Spannish bike company very well known in Europe. BH ebikes come with an amazing 5 year warranty. That said, it seems BH is leaving the US ebike market which is why you're seeing these fantastic deals (last month I bought 3 brand new BH Rebel Lite ebikes from BicycleBlueBook for $777 so now have an entire fleet of ebikes for friends and family, lol). BH will still sell other products in the US and are big in Europe so it's not as if they plan to abandon the ebike business worldwide so should be a going concern to honor warranty and have parts. You might ask Lenny's how you would get service. Most likely BH would ship a new motor or parts if it breaks. I suspect any bike mechanic could work on it, just won't be authorized. Similarly for Frey, they have 2 year warranty I believe. They would ship you parts. Replacing a motor is not that hard. Replacing a belt or bearing might be more involved.

Here's a Bosch option from Lenny's. One of their pages says they take $300 off any bike this month (covid special). I think they might discount more if you call (they just cam't advertise stuff lower). This one is a Class 3 (28 mph). They offer it in a small size but you may not like the looks of the battery. Older gernation 2 Bosch motor so will be a bigger form factor and noisier than the latest generation but they may be desperate to clear these older models out (assuming they still have them in stock).

A while back I saw them discounting a Bulls Lacuba by 50% (but that's a Brose motor).

BH is a 100+ year old Spannish bike company very well known in Europe. BH ebikes come with an amazing 5 year warranty. That said, it seems BH is leaving the US ebike market which is why you're seeing these fantastic deals (last month I bought 3 brand new BH Rebel Lite ebikes from BicycleBlueBook for $777 so now have an entire fleet of ebikes for friends and family, lol). BH will still sell other products in the US and are big in Europe so it's not as if they plan to abandon the ebike business worldwide so should be a going concern to honor warranty and have parts. You might ask Lenny's how you would get service. Most likely BH would ship a new motor or parts if it breaks. I suspect any bike mechanic could work on it, just won't be authorized. Similarly for Frey, they have 2 year warranty I believe. They would ship you parts. Replacing a motor is not that hard. Replacing a belt or bearing might be more involved.
Is Larry an authorized dealer? The bike shop here said when they get the bikes out of the box it has to be put together and updated
Here's a Bosch option from Lenny's. One of their pages says they take $300 off any bike this month (covid special). I think they might discount more if you call (they just cam't advertise stuff lower). This one is a Class 3 (28 mph). They offer it in a small size but you may not like the looks of the battery. Older gernation 2 Bosch motor so will be a bigger form factor and noisier than the latest generation but they may be desperate to clear these older models out (assuming they still have them in stock).

A while back I saw them discounting a Bulls Lacuba by 50% (but that's a Brose motor).

Tomdav you are aamazing!

Yes, Lenny's is an authorized dealer. Very well regarded / trusted dealer on EBR. Is known to offer great online deals in addition to local shop experience and service. See here:

Recent forum posts:

Yes, Lenny's is an authorized dealer. Very well regarded / trusted dealer on EBR. Is known to offer great online deals in addition to local shop experience and service. See here:

Recent forum posts:

I will call them in the morning!

Here are 12 pages of step through bikes mostly with big pictures: www.electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/step-thru.15620/
I don't see any front geared hub ones on the first two pages, but it is your shopping expedition.
To Tomdav's point, geared hub motors on long steep grades, say 15 minutes or more up at full watts, can overheat.
I have 77 short grades in s. Indiana so geared hubs are perfect for here. cheap, only failures in 2 1/2 years have been the cover screws needed retightening. Twice. If it fails totally, 99% of bikes have the same fork width, so any other hub motor would fit as replacement as long as it comes with new controller & display too. Plus I use generic batteries, whereas if you buy a built up bike, in 4-5 years you need a new battery at 150-300% of the price of a generic one. If the company is even still in existance. Or you need to drive your old battery to a rebuilder. The nearest rebuilder to Washington state I know of is in LA. You can't ship the battery UPS, you are not haz-mat certified.
In Washington state near mountains, I would not buy a direct drive hub drive. My 1000 W one handled a 10% grade very well, but you can't buy that wattage on a built up bike - only 750 W. courts reviews tell if a hub motor is DD or geared. Some of the super popular rads are DD, some are geared, so specific model matters.
Mid drives are fine as long as 1. you replace the chain every 1000-3000 miles 2. You don't intend to pedal yourself unpowered. Yamaha & Shimano are not limited by item 2. 3. You don't mind the higher price.
Happy shopping.

Last edited:
Here are 12 pages of step through bikes mostly with big pictures: electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/step-thru.15620/
I don't see any front geared hub ones on the first two pages, but it is your shopping expedition.
To Tomdav's point, geared hub motors on long steep grades, say 15 minutes or more up at full watts, can overheat.
I have 77 short grades in s. Indiana so geared hubs are perfect for here. cheap, only failures in 2 1/2 years have been the cover screws needed retightening. Twice. If it fails totally, 99% of bikes have the same fork width, so any other hub motor would fit as replacement as long as it comes with new controller & display too. Plus I use generic batteries, whereas if you buy a built up bike, in 4-5 years you need a new battery at 150-300% of the price of a generic one. If the company is even still in existance. Or you need to drive your old battery to a rebuilder. The nearest rebuilder to Washington state I know of is in LA. You can't ship the battery UPS, you are not haz-mat certified.
In Washington state near mountains, I would not buy a direct drive hub drive. My 1000 W one handled a 10% grade very well, but you can't buy that wattage on a built up bike - only 750 W. courts reviews tell if a hub motor is DD or geared. Some of the super popular rads are DD, some are geared, so specific model matters.
Mid drives are fine as long as 1. you replace the chain every 1000-3000 miles 2. You don't intend to pedal yourself unpowered. Yamaha & Shimano are not limited by item 2. 3. You don't mind the higher price.
Happy shopping.
Thanks for all the info! I am listening! As I am ignorant and inexperienced I'm trying to lean to the better known -supported bikes for the most part. And the combined voices on the forum bike repair folks and reviews trying to make the smartest choice I can even if I have to save and spend more ( Dont tell my husband, lol) thanks to you.all!

That's a fun thread. Amazing how many step thru options are out there outside the US. BTW, here's the covid promo on lenny's front page. If you find a bike you like, ask for another $1000 off with free shipping. ;)

1583973392973.png

For real. I recall a similar promo last month. Probably off MSRP though, not sale price. ;) Unfortunately their step thru category doesn't show everything so you'll have to page thru all 11 pages of their bikes to find the step thrus:

For real. I recall a similar promo last month. Probably off MSRP though, not sale price. ;) Unfortunately their step thru category doesn't show everything so you'll have to page thru all 11 pages of their bikes to find the step thrus:

Do they offer free shipping?!

1583988935922.png

But some times they add flat rate for shipping because of slim margins. When you call ask them to quote price including shipping.

Since you asked about the Trek Alant +7 I did notice a short preview at the end of this video. Seems like they are slowly making their way to Canada and the US. Looks to have the latest generation Bosch motor. I couldn't find any specs on pricing but judging from the European sites it will probably be priced around $3,500.

Since you asked about the Trek Alant +7 I did notice a short preview at the end of this video. Seems like they are slowly making their way to Canada and the US. Looks to have the latest generation Bosch motor. I couldn't find any specs on pricing but judging from the European sites it will probably be priced around $3,500.

TOMDAV! I pulled the trigger on the BH Atom with crazy Lenny!!! I'm so excited thanks so much for helping me through this process they even threw in a seatpost! Still under $2000
I'd love to see pictures with you on your Frey when you get it thanks again!

Back