Im on my 2nd brand new Boardman HYB 8.9E with Fazua Street 50 in a week, same battery issues. Can anyone help?

mlb23uk

Region
United Kingdom
Hi

I got a brand new Boardman HYB 8.9E hybrid bike from Halfords. The bike is fitted with the Fazua Street 50 system. The issue I had with the first bike was the range was appalling, in particular the bike lost 10% over every 8 hour period I wasnt using the bike. I plugged the bike into my PC and ran Fazua diagnostics. The diagnostics threw up two errors on the battery:

63 - Battery error state
53 - Battery shortcircuit

Now the first time these two errors happened was 15th November 2022, months before I even took ownership of the bike. The same two errors came up again on one partocular night when my bike was parked up in work car park, completely switched off. With this in mind I returned the bike to Halfords and had it swapped for the same make.model but brand new bike.

I have ridden the new bike today and whilst range seemed better at first, again the bike has lost 10% on the battery according to the fazua app whilst sat parked up switched off, for 8 hours. Frustratingly the new bike battery has the two exact same error codes, both on the exact same date, 15th November 2022.

What on Earth is going on with this bike??? Are Fazua sending out a batch of faulty batteries from a factory storage from November 2022? The errors in 2022 has interesting information that states at this time the batter was running at -48C. IO have absolutely no idea what to make of this bike.

I read another post on here and the user was advised to wait around 6 battery cycles before making a judgment on battery life. I am prepared to wait a few weeks and try it out. But I refuse to accept that brand new, expensive bike batteries, should come with short circuit fault codes. This is not acceptable in my opinion.

Below is the diagnosis report from bike 1:
Screenshot 2023-04-27 022424.jpg

And bike 2 diagnosis report:
Screenshot 2023-04-27 022435.jpg

Thanks for reading, hoping I can get some good advice before I return bike 2 and ask for a full refund and never touch a e bike again.

Hi

I got a brand new Boardman HYB 8.9E hybrid bike from Halfords. The bike is fitted with the Fazua Street 50 system. The issue I had with the first bike was the range was appalling, in particular the bike lost 10% over every 8 hour period I wasnt using the bike. I plugged the bike into my PC and ran Fazua diagnostics. The diagnostics threw up two errors on the battery:

63 - Battery error state
53 - Battery shortcircuit

Now the first time these two errors happened was 15th November 2022, months before I even took ownership of the bike. The same two errors came up again on one partocular night when my bike was parked up in work car park, completely switched off. With this in mind I returned the bike to Halfords and had it swapped for the same make.model but brand new bike.

I have ridden the new bike today and whilst range seemed better at first, again the bike has lost 10% on the battery according to the fazua app whilst sat parked up switched off, for 8 hours. Frustratingly the new bike battery has the two exact same error codes, both on the exact same date, 15th November 2022.

What on Earth is going on with this bike??? Are Fazua sending out a batch of faulty batteries from a factory storage from November 2022? The errors in 2022 has interesting information that states at this time the batter was running at -48C. IO have absolutely no idea what to make of this bike.

I read another post on here and the user was advised to wait around 6 battery cycles before making a judgment on battery life. I am prepared to wait a few weeks and try it out. But I refuse to accept that brand new, expensive bike batteries, should come with short circuit fault codes. This is not acceptable in my opinion.

Below is the diagnosis report from bike 1:
View attachment 152463

And bike 2 diagnosis report:
View attachment 152464
Thanks for reading, hoping I can get some good advice before I return bike 2 and ask for a full refund and never touch a e bike again.
I had the same issues with my Fazua battery. To stop it losing charge you need to put the battery in sleep mode. This should be automatic after 8 hours of non use. Alternatively if you press and hold down the battery button until all the leds light up and go out one by one, then release the button the battery is in sleep mode and will hold charge indefinitely.

I had the same diagnostic report as you. I took the battery and motor to a fairly local Fazua dealer and they were able to show the battery was faulty as opposed to the motor. Fazua sent me a new battery free of charge within a few weeks.

I had the same issues with my Fazua battery. To stop it losing charge you need to put the battery in sleep mode. This should be automatic after 8 hours of non use. Alternatively if you press and hold down the battery button until all the leds light up and go out one by one, then release the button the battery is in sleep mode and will hold charge indefinitely.

I had the same diagnostic report as you. I took the battery and motor to a fairly local Fazua dealer and they were able to show the battery was faulty as opposed to the motor. Fazua sent me a new battery free of charge within a few weeks.
Hey thanks for your reply!

The battery only seems to drain when it is left in the bike, when it is out of the bike it doesnt lose charge. I have contacted fazua several times and they only replied once to tell me its normal for the bike to be shipped with fault codes, which I feel is total BS.

I also havent worked out why exactly on my ride home on the same section of a particular street the bike looses 5% battery in a split second. Also anything over around 22km/h the pedals make a strange grinding noise.

Ive given up on taking it back to halfords, they dont seem to have a clue about anything.

So ive just kind of given up on trying to fix it. Clearly fazua dont care about their cheap quality bikes. They dont even respond to customer emails anymore. Im just hoping something seriously wrong doesnt surface with the bike, as I have no faith fazua would service any faulty part. I will tryin holding the battery button to see what it does thanks.

I know for future now, to avoid fazua bikes at all costs. Clearly not your typical "german quality", just junk.

Hey thanks for your reply!

The battery only seems to drain when it is left in the bike, when it is out of the bike it doesnt lose charge. I have contacted fazua several times and they only replied once to tell me its normal for the bike to be shipped with fault codes, which I feel is total BS.

I also havent worked out why exactly on my ride home on the same section of a particular street the bike looses 5% battery in a split second. Also anything over around 22km/h the pedals make a strange grinding noise.

Ive given up on taking it back to halfords, they dont seem to have a clue about anything.

So ive just kind of given up on trying to fix it. Clearly fazua dont care about their cheap quality bikes. They dont even respond to customer emails anymore. Im just hoping something seriously wrong doesnt surface with the bike, as I have no faith fazua would service any faulty part. I will tryin holding the battery button to see what it does thanks.

I know for future now, to avoid fazua bikes at all costs. Clearly not your typical "german quality", just junk.
Since the bike sort of works it sounds more like a motor issue. Fazua said the error codes could apply to motor issues. Fazuas customer service were very quick to reply to my emails and quite helpful. Maybe being taken over by Porsche is not a good thing.

For myself I am very happy with the Fazua system apart from the faulty battery. I particularly like the fact it is very quiet and resistance free when you go above 25kph, unlike the Bosch performance CX I have tried. Although I believe later generations of the Bosch have less resistance.

Back