I'm "Comonizing" my Vado 4.0

Fredman

Hi Everybody.
New here and want to share my experience on our bikes so far. So, we walked into the LBS a few weeks ago and all they had in stock is a Como 3.0 low step, a Como 3.0 high step, and a Vado 4.0 high step. We immediately decided on the low step for the wife and after trying the 3.0, I decided on the 4.0. Just want that little bit more oomph, and Como 4.0 isn't available here.
I felt uncomfortable on the Vado from day one as I prefer to ride more upright. We're in our early sixties and comfort and leasure is our main aim. It troubled me that I like riding the wife's Como more than my Vado so I set out converting it. I got a 100mm adjustable stem riser, that gave me some upright, but the straight handles still limited me somewhat. I started looking around for granny handle bars but couldn't really decide on which. I walked into the LBS and just for fun asked if Como handles can be bought after market. I have one in the back the guy said...someone wrote off a frame and I can have the bars for $30. I just about stepped on my lip, before begging him to take my money.
So now i'm in happy land and loving my Vado. I can't distinguish any difference between sitting on the two...even the distance from the centre of the bars to the saddle risers is the same. I'm off to that shop again tomorrow to hear if they still have the Como saddle in the back.
Anyway here's some photos of the Vado.
IMG_20201121_144422.jpg
IMG_20201121_144218.jpg
IMG_20201121_144341.jpg

We're off on a two week holiday...mostly biking on leasure trails around the lakes and towns. It's all a new experience for us and looking very much forward. We'll be carrying them all the way there, but once offloaded, it's only biking. Here they are on the back rack during one of our practice runs.
IMG_20201115_160145.jpg

Hi Everybody.
New here and want to share my experience on our bikes so far. So, we walked into the LBS a few weeks ago and all they had in stock is a Como 3.0 low step, a Como 3.0 high step, and a Vado 4.0 high step. We immediately decided on the low step for the wife and after trying the 3.0, I decided on the 4.0. Just want that little bit more oomph, and Como 4.0 isn't available here.
I felt uncomfortable on the Vado from day one as I prefer to ride more upright. We're in our early sixties and comfort and leasure is our main aim. It troubled me that I like riding the wife's Como more than my Vado so I set out converting it. I got a 100mm adjustable stem riser, that gave me some upright, but the straight handles still limited me somewhat. I started looking around for granny handle bars but couldn't really decide on which. I walked into the LBS and just for fun asked if Como handles can be bought after market. I have one in the back the guy said...someone wrote off a frame and I can have the bars for $30. I just about stepped on my lip, before begging him to take my money.
So now i'm in happy land and loving my Vado. I can't distinguish any difference between sitting on the two...even the distance from the centre of the bars to the saddle risers is the same. I'm off to that shop again tomorrow to hear if they still have the Como saddle in the back.
View attachment 72244View attachment 72245View attachment 72246
We're off on a two week holiday...mostly biking on leasure trails around the lakes and towns. It's all a new experience for us and looking very much forward. We'll be carrying them all the way there, but once offloaded, it's only biking. Here they are on the back rack during one of our practice runs.
View attachment 72247
Very nice. There are a few threads on making a Vado more like a Como ... here's one
Don't tell the Vado guys, but the Como is more fun ... 😁

Thanks Stefan. I'll have to give the wife some cool down time first. She's still busy working out why i'm spending more money to Comonize the Vado, when I could've got a Como in the first place. Frankly i'm starting to think she has a point...🤪
But it is what it is, and i'm happy for now.

Hi Everybody.
View attachment 72244View attachment 72245View attachment 72246
View attachment 72247
Love the color 'cause we all know red is the fasterest! 😎

You might want to give some thought to some bike bags as well. Your Vado has the Racktime rack so their bags are all 'plug and play', so to speak.

I was concerned about the cables being long enough for the stem riser and swept handlebars, but on consideration I'll almost bet they use the same cables for the Como and Vado.

Very nice. There are a few threads on making a Vado more like a Como ... here's one
Don't tell the Vado guys, but the Como is more fun ... 😁
BTW Welcome to EBR and the Turbo Vado Como Club

Como is indeed a nice bike. The reason I bought Vado was it was a Speed-Pedelec (Europe doesn't get Como S-Pedelecs).
That is also the reason I got the Vado. I wanted more speed and power.
Now i'm only using it when I ride alone...and that can be a bit boring sometimes. The wife is only now learning to ride. That slows me down radically, but I don't mind. What counts is we're being out there...soothing the soul.
These are the things I should do to my Vado. But I have a Como also:). I switched my saddles to the Brooks B67 which is a leather springer if you want to investigate that one.

PS, which stem riser is that, part number? Thanks.
I've watched a few reviews on utube and are seriously interested in the Brooks. How do you find it...and how long did yours take to break in?
The stem riser is a BBB Highfix OS 100mm.
I actually gave the job to the LBS because I was convinced the cables needed extending. In the end they didn't. The cables are on the max. I actually have to tilt the Como bars to allow for that last few millimeters on the cables.
Love the color 'cause we all know red is the fasterest! 😎

You might want to give some thought to some bike bags as well. Your Vado has the Racktime rack so their bags are all 'plug and play', so to speak.

LOL the colour is all they had. There was only that one Vado and no new stock on the horizon...they still don't have stock. I was very lucky to get the last one. Specialized E bikes are in short supply here in NZ. I do have two Orlieb paneer (city)...in white. Still not sure about the colour. I'll post a pic when we go to the town market again. I use them to store the vegetables....👍

Now i'm only using it when I ride alone...and that can be a bit boring sometimes. The wife is only now learning to ride. That slows me down radically, but I don't mind. What counts is we're being out there...soothing the soul.

I've watched a few reviews on utube and are seriously interested in the Brooks. How do you find it...and how long did yours take to break in?
I actually gave the job to the LBS because I was convinced the cables needed extending. In the end they didn't. The cables are on the max. I actually have to tilt the Como bars to allow for that last few millimeters on the cables.

LOL the colour is all they had. There was only that one Vado and no new stock on the horizon...they still don't have stock. I was very lucky to get the last one. Specialized E bikes are in short supply here in NZ. I do have two Orlieb paneer (city)...in white. Still not sure about the colour. I'll post a pic when we go to the town market again. I use them to store the vegetables....👍
That will end up as a better bike for hauling groceries, climbing hills, and fighting headwinds. All at the same time, if necessary. My Como3 ( 1.2e motor ?) is a great bike with just an OK boost.

I believe the Brooks B67 to be the best I've tried so far. Also have the B17 in springer, it is narrower so your sit bones are supported, with the B67 it grabs some of the muscle tissue. The B17 is still a good saddle but I much prefer the B67. The leather on the B67 is softer also so easy on the conditioner. The B17 is like sitting on a wood bench, the leather is thick and tough and can take a lot of conditioner. The B67 has been tenderized somewhat.

I also had a thudbuster suspension seatpost I rode quite a while which is nice. In the end the B67 would be my choice for combined saddle/suspension setup.

And thanks for the info.

My wife and I use our Ortlieb panniers more for grocery shoppinhbthan anything else. Very handy with lots of volume!

And thanks for the info.
Actually mate. If you look at the photo of it, it don't "blend" that well with the spacers. At the onset it didn't bother me that much (I was way to exited to take notice of it), but lately it kinda catches my eye...a little bit. Just something for you to consider.
There surely are others that might "blend" better.

Back