I want to upgrade: Specialized Turbo Vado vs. Trek Allant?

Johnmj1

I am nuts over riding my ebike, since purchasing a Trek Verve +3 Step-through. I am considering an upgrade to either the Trek Allant or Specialized Turbo Vado. Driving the upgrade is the desire for a faster assist (28 mph), a bigger battery, fun to ride, and of course, value/reliability. (Will keep the Verve +3 for my wife to ride, or for the occasional visiting family member, since Santa Fe is a great area to explore on a bike). Since it’s almost impossible to test drive either model given the shortage of bikes here, I’ll probably have to order one or the other sight unseen. I ride mostly on paved streets, and want a low rise or step through model. I’m hoping the forum can give me some guidance. No hurry to upgrade if anyone thinks there is an advantage in waiting until the 2021 models arrive. Thanks in advance.

The “Stagger” version of the Allant might be a good fit. Between a low step and standard diamond frame. You’re already having a good Trek experience. Both brands good choices, though, maybe it comes down to the bike shop... if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?

What he said. Both are good bikes, how are the shops? Especially the service people who will work on the bikes.

I’m loving my Allant +7 and if you get the Performance Line CX, you can get the upgrade that takes it from 75 Nm to 85Nm and convert it from Sport mode to EMTB mode. This comes in a step through model also.
DD98AE81-F4E2-4898-9F16-FA532F271113.jpeg

The Allant+ 7s has a slightly bigger capacity battery (500 vs 460 wh) and a sportier geometry than the Vado.The ‘stagger’ model is a nice compromise that makes it easy to mount while also looking like a credible road bike. The Allant also has integrated headlight and taillights... not sure if the Vado has both.

But the Vado has a better component group (10 speed Deore vs 9 speed Altus). But Trek is known for supporting their products better than Specialized.

Both bikes have Racktime racks, a European company that makes bags and panniers that snap on and off the racks. They are hard to find in the US, but a couple of online bike shops have them. I got one for my wife, and it works great on her Allant.

The Allant+ 7s has a slightly bigger capacity battery (500 vs 460 wh) and a sportier geometry than the Vado.The ‘stagger’ model is a nice compromise that makes it easy to mount while also looking like a credible road bike. The Allant also has integrated headlight and taillights... not sure if the Vado has both.

But the Vado has a better component group (10 speed Deore vs 9 speed Altus). But Trek is known for supporting their products better than Specialized.

Both bikes have Racktime racks, a European company that makes bags and panniers that snap on and off the racks. They are hard to find in the US, but a couple of online bike shops have them. I got one for my wife, and it works great on her Allant.
FWIW, I believe the 7s has the PL Speed vs the PLCX. Otherwise they’re very similar.

I've been searching for Racktime bags and the adaptor plate. Please share where you found them. Hopefully after the pandemic they the European bags will be easier to find in the US. thanks

I've been searching for Racktime bags and the adaptor plate. Please share where you found them. Hopefully after the pandemic they the European bags will be easier to find in the US. thanks
I bought both of our Racktime Odin bags on Amazon. We really like them, especially the expandable top and the zip out panniers.

Google 'Racktime Talis' and you will see some vendors pop up. I forgot where I bought mine, and can't find the email receipt. It was some bike shop on the US West Coast... I think Oregon or Washington state.

You don't need an adapter plate for the Racktime rack; the bags have an integrated mounting mechanism.

At first, looking at the underside of the Talis bag, it seemed that the mounting clips were designed for a wider rack. But the instructions showed how to pivot the clips to work with the narrow-railed rack that the Allante came with. It was super-simple and works like a charm.

I really enjoy riding my Allant 9.9 with the 12 speed Shimano. It has the 625 watt powertube. I did a good number of modifications and refinement that took an outstanding bike and made it freakin' awesome. After a couple of initial issues, it has been a rock solid performer.

20200711_131105.jpg

Here is a list of my modifications to the Trek Allant 9.9s

1. Sram AXS X01 Wireless Electronic Shifter and Derailleur
  2. Shimano Deore XTR CS-M9100 Cassette - 10-51 Tooth
  3. Baramind City Shock Absorbing Handlebar
  4. Kinekt Body Float Seat Post
  5. Selle Anatomica H2 Leather Saddle
  6. Onyx instant engagement and silent hub
  7. Brooks saddle bag
  8. Topeak Fast Fuel Drybag X
  9. Catalyst Flat Pedals
  10. Abus Bordo Alarm Lock
  11. SQ Lab 702 Grips
  12. Selle Itallia Rear View Mirror
  13. Knog OI Bell
  14. Knog 1000 lumen light/battery PWR Trail 10001
  15. Quad Lok Phone Holder
  16. Schwalbe Hurricane tires for winter and G-One Speed for summer with Tubolito inner tubes.
  17. And of course a Bosch Nyon Display (it came with the Smart Phone Hub which I had replaced with the Intuvia mount to accommodate the Nyon)

You will get no Trek Allant until 22...according to trek’s update to my LBS.
Wow! No Allants until 2022?
And that’s according to Trek?
I wonder if other Trek dealers are getting the same info.

27.5 vs 700
A while ago I test rode the Verve +3 and Allant 8s Stagger and Diamond .
Verve +3 was more comfortable .
If it had a higher torque drive would have bought it .
I was ok with 20mph but not on the Active Plus drive .

Back