I need a reliable e-bike

Asoma64

I want to commute to work but not sure if I want a throttle bike like pedego or Stromer but I also want reliability and support and I have pedego stores near me. I will be in Boston and 6ft talk 190-pound guys. I was thinking of getting pedal assist from the trek or specialized but not sure which model. I do like the reliability of these companies. The last option I was thinking of getting was the tren vetron. I want to spend less than 5k and I tried the trek super commuter 8 and was amazed at the speed but it’s seems too expensive with the verve plus being half the price but only max speed of 20 mph. I hope someone can Help. Thank you

First off both Trek and Specialized require their dealers to be brand exclusive so your choice in real life comparison is limited there. Pedego is an assist bike with throttle. Stromer has not offered a throttle since the Sport model discontinued in 12-13. Both nice bikes, the Pedego is more designed as a casual ride the Stromer is a good commuter except for falling short in cargo with the stock rack system. For a nice commuter check out the Easy Motion Evo City Pro or Diamond wave. First is a hub system torque sensing with throttle selectable. Second is a Brose mid drive no throttle option. Both are nicely equipped commuters from a company that has been in the bike industry for over 100 years and producing electric bikes for close to 30. Their warrantee is tops and they are very responsive to dealer and technical feedback doing incremental upgrades each model year to improve dependability and ease of maintenance. Finally in my opinion they are one of the most attractive line out there.

Thank you so much , I will investigate . Also do you and anybody know the quality and reliability of biktrix?

I am really digging my Cube Touring Hybrid Exc 500 powered by a Bosch CX drive. It is a 2017 and you can still find a few around between $3-$4k. It has become my primary transportation over the past month...and it is still winter! I guess my bias in favor of German transportation is showing but this is one fine bike for the money, really kitted out with good to excellent gear (breaks, gearing, lights, fenders, tires, rack, etc.) It is a lively commuter and fun on dirt trails. It tackles hills like they are barely there. I am 6'1" 210 lbs. age 67. This bike makes me feel like a kid again. I have put 160 miles on it in the past three weeks. Thus far no hiccups. Here is a link to see the specs on it: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I am really digging my Cube Touring Hybrid Exc 500 powered by a Bosch CX drive. It is a 2017 and you can still find a few around between $3-$4k. It has become my primary transportation over the past month...and it is still winter! I guess my bias in favor of German transportation is showing but this is one fine bike for the money, really kitted out with good to excellent gear (breaks, gearing, lights, fenders, tires, rack, etc.) It is a lively commuter and fun on dirt trails. It tackles hills like they are barely there. I am 6'1" 210 lbs. age 67. This bike makes me feel like a kid again. I have put 160 miles on it in the past three weeks. Thus far no hiccups. Here is a link to see the specs on it: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
Thanks I will look into that but I think I really want a throttle . If i can find around here, i would love to test ride it

Thank you so much , I will investigate . Also do you and anybody know the quality and reliability of biktrix?

Biktrix bikes look like generic Chinese bikes rebranded with Biktrix stickers put on them. For a commuter bike, I'd suggest something with hydraulic brakes. You don't need a throttle, since max pedal assist is the same as a full throttle. There is also the issue of a throttle bike if you use any bike trails. Many places are outlawing bikes with throttles on trails.

I'm a huge Haibike fan. I own two 2016s, both powered by Bosch. Bought the XDURO Full Seven S RX as a demo with 150 miles on it for $2800, and the XDURO Trekking S RX as an old model year for $2600. Almost 1,600 miles on the Trekking, 1,400+ miles on the Full Seven mountain bike. Bought the mountain bike in Nov 2016, Trekking in Mar 2017.

I want to commute to work but not sure if I want a throttle bike like pedego or Stromer but I also want reliability and support and I have pedego stores near me. I will be in Boston and 6ft talk 190-pound guys. I was thinking of getting pedal assist from the trek or specialized but not sure which model. I do like the reliability of these companies. The last option I was thinking of getting was the tren vetron. I want to spend less than 5k and I tried the trek super commuter 8 and was amazed at the speed but it’s seems too expensive with the verve plus being half the price but only max speed of 20 mph. I hope someone can Help. Thank you
You could look at Ohm Bikes; https://ohmcycles.com
Good build quality with a solid BionX D500 DV system being ideal for long distant commuting as the DD rear hub does not put strain or wear and tear on the chain or gearing
A few reviews here; https://electricbikereview.com/brand/ohm/

I feel like my search keeps expanding , I need to come up with top three reliable fast short commute choices under 5k

I feel like my search keeps expanding , I need to come up with top three reliable fast short commute choices under 5k

So I have been researching e-bikes for around town commuting and fun on local trails in Bellingham, Washington which is a rather hilly spot. I have taken test rides on 14 bikes from Kalkhof, Rad, EMotion, Bulls (3), Focus (2), Cube (3), Riese & Muller(3). I have read and watched the video reviews on this site for all the above and at least another dozen more. I do have a bias in favor of German engineered vehicles and have been driving a Mercedes wagon for the past 25 years, currently an e500 4matic wagon.

After lots of careful consideration, I put an order in for a Riese & Muller Nevo Nuvinci GH It comes with the Bosch CX they also have an HS (high speed) with a Bosch Performance motor. They are just under $5000. Riese & Muller bikes come very complete as regards accessories (lighting, fenders, locks, racks) as well as really top flight peripherals (brakes, tires, rims, drive systems, grips, saddles, suspensions, etc.). Build quality is outstanding, designs are interesting and well thought out, engineering seems to be thorough and complete.

I tried both the CX and the HS models in both Riese & Muller as well as Bulls. I found that the CX higher torque performance on hills is something I would be making good use of all the time, whereas the HS version while capable of going up to 28mph with power assist, requires a lot more pedal effort past about 22 mph due to exponential increase in wind resistance...enough to make me less eager to go that fast, especially when it means sacrificing hill climbing ability.

Right after ordering the Nevo, I ended up getting a smoking hot deal on ebay for a really nice Cube (another German brand) so that is what I'm riding now while I wait for the R&M to be delivered. Then we will have two nice bikes for my wife and me to go riding together.

The Cube is great but the Riese & Muller with the Nuvinci drive and Gates carbon fiber belt drive is a very clean, low maintenance option that has a ton of appeal to me. There is some efficiency loss in the Nuvinci drive so you might want to look at the GT Touring models from them as they have traditional gear cassettes and derailleurs. That will give you less frictional power loss for that extra little bit of oomph.

Count on it taking on month minimum, unless you are lucky enough to find a dealer who has just what you want. They offer lots of options and produce them in Germany to your specs. Add in cross Atlantic shipping, dealer set up and delivery an you have a wait that will try your patience. From all reports well worth it though.

Let us know what your decide on.

Biktrix bikes look like generic Chinese bikes rebranded with Biktrix stickers put on them. For a commuter bike, I'd suggest something with hydraulic brakes. You don't need a throttle, since max pedal assist is the same as a full throttle. There is also the issue of a throttle bike if you use any bike trails. Many places are outlawing bikes with throttles on trails.
Not a fair review. They are a first class seller with a decent bike, and super support. Please, nearly every bike here has a Chinese frame. "Looks like" is unfair!

The most reliable will use good motors, like MAC, 9Continent, MXUS, perhaps Bafang. Those are the brands I like to build with and have repair parts. A 5K commute is short and there are lots of not so spendy alternatives.

Okay and I think the same might go for Luna bicycles , do you have any suggestions ?
Watch for the warranty, it's an add on. They are a "do it yourself" seller. Repairs fall on you unless you buy an expensive additional warranty. Lectric Cycles, BikTrix are two great warranty and service resellers. ALWAYS review the warranty. Look for a battery warranty as well. If you're going to do Luna do a kit. Eventually you'll need to learn if you buy a finished bike from them.

Roshan is a good guy. he supports and stands behind his products and customers. I've known him since he began. One of the good guys.

My wife rides a Pedego City Commuter. Her commute is right around 6 km. She loves the comfort, responsiveness, and looks of the bike. Our "local" dealer is 2 hrs. away, so we don't just drop by, but this is a well-developed bike and we haven't had any problems with it that I couldn't handle myself. I own a Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S. It cost a great deal less than the City Commuter. It is sportier, and has some features (such as torque plus cadence sensors, instead of cadence alone, and a cruise control function that I use a lot) that the Pedego does not. That was ordered online and delivered by UPS. I had to do minimal set-up when it came -- putting on the front wheel and fender, mainly. My local bike shop is willing to do normal maintenance. I haven't had any major problems with it so not having a local dealer hasn't been an issue. There was a problem with the LCD display -- it may have been user error to be frank -- and Juiced Bikes had a new display in the mail to me the next day. So I can't complain about their service. They were also very good about delaying delivery of the bike for a few weeks because I was on the road for a month. I'm saying all this to suggest that not having a local dealer shouldn't keep you from getting a good bike. Juiced has come out with a new bike which has fatter tires -- not quite a fat bike but pretty big -- and a 750 watt motor instead of the 650 on the Crosscurrent S. Otherwise it is much like the CCS. It would make an awesome commuting bike IMO. Both the Pedego and the CCS are amazing fun and we're saving a lot of money on gas by using them for going to work, the grocery store, etc. If you go with either of the Juiced Bikes, go ahead and get the 52 volt 21 Amp hour battery. It costs more, partly because it needs a more powerful charger, but it would still be well within your $5K limit. If I had the money, I'd order one today, and set my 48 volt 17.4 Amp hour battery aside.

For a commuter bike, I'd suggest something with hydraulic brakes. You don't need a throttle, since max pedal assist is the same as a full throttle.

+1 on the hydraulic brakes. These bikes are heavier than non-electrics and benefit from the extra stopping power.

Got to disagree on the throttle issue, though. I rely mostly on pedal assist, but I use the throttle several times a day. Quick starts from red lights and stop signs, for instance. Getting into the left turn lane on a busy street. Finding yourself in too high a gear when you really need to accelerate quickly. And who knows, maybe you just want to take a break from time to time. Why not?

I've found most Euro bikes underpowered with weak batteries. I'm 6-4 250 and bought Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra w/1000w Bafang and 48v20ah battery. Considered Luna but other than the Apex, their other bikes seemed a mishmash of kit parts. Power is addictive and the euro designs I've tried are underwhelming considering the high prices (although usually thoughtfully designed) I especially detest the noisy Bosch motors - remind me of a sewing machine that needs greasing. Some don't mind, but I find it ridiculous that they can't make their motors much quieter.

And yes, find a throttle comes in handy when need power right away - especially useful when stopped on a hill.

My wife rides a Pedego City Commuter. Her commute is right around 6 km. She loves the comfort, responsiveness, and looks of the bike. Our "local" dealer is 2 hrs. away, so we don't just drop by, but this is a well-developed bike and we haven't had any problems with it that I couldn't handle myself. I own a Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S. It cost a great deal less than the City Commuter. It is sportier, and has some features (such as torque plus cadence sensors, instead of cadence alone, and a cruise control function that I use a lot) that the Pedego does not. That was ordered online and delivered by UPS. I had to do minimal set-up when it came -- putting on the front wheel and fender, mainly. My local bike shop is willing to do normal maintenance. I haven't had any major problems with it so not having a local dealer hasn't been an issue. There was a problem with the LCD display -- it may have been user error to be frank -- and Juiced Bikes had a new display in the mail to me the next day. So I can't complain about their service. They were also very good about delaying delivery of the bike for a few weeks because I was on the road for a month. I'm saying all this to suggest that not having a local dealer shouldn't keep you from getting a good bike. Juiced has come out with a new bike which has fatter tires -- not quite a fat bike but pretty big -- and a 750 watt motor instead of the 650 on the Crosscurrent S. Otherwise it is much like the CCS. It would make an awesome commuting bike IMO. Both the Pedego and the CCS are amazing fun and we're saving a lot of money on gas by using them for going to work, the grocery store, etc. If you go with either of the Juiced Bikes, go ahead and get the 52 volt 21 Amp hour battery. It costs more, partly because it needs a more powerful charger, but it would still be well within your $5K limit. If I had the money, I'd order one today, and set my 48 volt 17.4 Amp hour battery aside.
Great insights! Thanks, I learned a thing or two1

+1 on the hydraulic brakes. These bikes are heavier than non-electrics and benefit from the extra stopping power.

Got to disagree on the throttle issue, though. I rely mostly on pedal assist, but I use the throttle several times a day. Quick starts from red lights and stop signs, for instance. Getting into the left turn lane on a busy street. Finding yourself in too high a gear when you really need to accelerate quickly. And who knows, maybe you just want to take a break from time to time. Why not?
I'd never be without. No need to use it if it doesn't fit, but the day will come....nearly 70 here and I have those moments when getting home with little stress makes for a perfect day

Back