I need a reliable e-bike

So I have been researching e-bikes for around town commuting and fun on local trails in Bellingham, Washington which is a rather hilly spot. I have taken test rides on 14 bikes from Kalkhof, Rad, EMotion, Bulls (3), Focus (2), Cube (3), Riese & Muller(3). I have read and watched the video reviews on this site for all the above and at least another dozen more. I do have a bias in favor of German engineered vehicles and have been driving a Mercedes wagon for the past 25 years, currently an e500 4matic wagon.

After lots of careful consideration, I put an order in for a Riese & Muller Nevo Nuvinci GH It comes with the Bosch CX they also have an HS (high speed) with a Bosch Performance motor. They are just under $5000. Riese & Muller bikes come very complete as regards accessories (lighting, fenders, locks, racks) as well as really top flight peripherals (brakes, tires, rims, drive systems, grips, saddles, suspensions, etc.). Build quality is outstanding, designs are interesting and well thought out, engineering seems to be thorough and complete.

I tried both the CX and the HS models in both Riese & Muller as well as Bulls. I found that the CX higher torque performance on hills is something I would be making good use of all the time, whereas the HS version while capable of going up to 28mph with power assist, requires a lot more pedal effort past about 22 mph due to exponential increase in wind resistance...enough to make me less eager to go that fast, especially when it means sacrificing hill climbing ability.

Right after ordering the Nevo, I ended up getting a smoking hot deal on ebay for a really nice Cube (another German brand) so that is what I'm riding now while I wait for the R&M to be delivered. Then we will have two nice bikes for my wife and me to go riding together.

The Cube is great but the Riese & Muller with the Nuvinci drive and Gates carbon fiber belt drive is a very clean, low maintenance option that has a ton of appeal to me. There is some efficiency loss in the Nuvinci drive so you might want to look at the GT Touring models from them as they have traditional gear cassettes and derailleurs. That will give you less frictional power loss for that extra little bit of oomph.

Count on it taking on month minimum, unless you are lucky enough to find a dealer who has just what you want. They offer lots of options and produce them in Germany to your specs. Add in cross Atlantic shipping, dealer set up and delivery an you have a wait that will try your patience. From all reports well worth it though.

Let us know what your decide on.
You’re right , the Riese and Muller bikes are beautiful and well made , thank you

I've found most Euro bikes underpowered with weak batteries. I'm 6-4 250 and bought Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra w/1000w Bafang and 48v20ah battery. Considered Luna but other than the Apex, their other bikes seemed a mishmash of kit parts. Power is addictive and the euro designs I've tried are underwhelming considering the high prices (although usually thoughtfully designed) I especially detest the noisy Bosch motors - remind me of a sewing machine that needs greasing. Some don't mind, but I find it ridiculous that they can't make their motors much quieter.

And yes, find a throttle comes in handy when need power right away - especially useful when stopped on a hill.
How is the bike and where do you get it maintained. Also how was the assembly ?

Does anybody trust an online dealer like (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Also I found a guy selling Brand+new+Haibike+Sduro+MSRP+$4500full+nine+SL+29er+Pedal+assist for 2500, is that a good price ?

I've found most Euro bikes underpowered with weak batteries. I'm 6-4 250 and bought Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra w/1000w Bafang and 48v20ah battery. Considered Luna but other than the Apex, their other bikes seemed a mishmash of kit parts. Power is addictive and the euro designs I've tried are underwhelming considering the high prices (although usually thoughtfully designed) I especially detest the noisy Bosch motors - remind me of a sewing machine that needs greasing. Some don't mind, but I find it ridiculous that they can't make their motors much quieter.

And yes, find a throttle comes in handy when need power right away - especially useful when stopped on a hill.

Agree on the throttle. I rode a PAS non throttle for a couple of my 12 mile commutes and keeping the pace going at 22mph on the flat can get boring. Occasionally I do want a break.

On the Biktrix Ultra — can the motor be programmed to 750w instead of 1000w?
And Is that 1000w peak power?
Typically the road rules (like in CA, USA) are 750w limits.

I am not sure, you can contact their customer service which is the CEO and founder, he is really nice and responsive.

My experience with Bosch motors has been quite favorable. I ride two e-bikes , a Trek XM700+ Commuter and a Powerfly 7 MTB.
Both have Bosch Performance Line Motors. I've found the motors to be very smooth, extremely powerful and quiet.

I'll admit on the XM700+ if I get into an 'odd' combo of gearing and assist level, because I'm not paying attention, the XM700+ motor will whine a bit, but this a result of operator (rider) error. : ) The Powerfly 7 will climb a brick wall so there's never an issue with that bike.

John from CT

I bought a Haibike from them a few weeks ago, through eBay. The only problem I encountered was that they did not see the note I left at checkout, for them to hold off on shipping it right away because I was out of town. I had to change the delivery date with UPS.

I still contend that fit is important. Will not convert or buy a bike I have not ridden. Period.

I completely and totally agree with you. I personally have had two bikes fit, which included replacement of the
stock handle bars on one of the bikes, plus a completely different stem to raise and bring said handle bars up and closer
to me. Prior to this change I experienced severe neck pain plus seat problems ( pain ) The changes I made made a world
of difference and the bike 'fits' me like a glove.

John from CT

Last edited:
Max pedal assist is NOT the same as a full throttle. Try starting from a dead stop on traffic lights and you will understand the difference.

I have. Max current is max current. You can't get more current to the motor with a throttle, than with pedaling. At least on the Sondors throttle bike I have.

My experience with Bosch motors has been quite favorable. I ride two e-bikes , a Trek XM700+ Commuter and a Powerfly 7 MTB.
Both have Bosch Performance Line Motors. I've found the motors to be very smooth, extremely powerful and quiet.

I'll admit on the XM700+ if I get into an 'odd' combo of gearing and assist level, because I'm not paying attention, the XM700+ motor will whine a bit, but this a result of operator (rider) error. : ) The Powerfly 7 will climb a brick wall so there's never an issue with that bike.

John from CT
Offroad power is good, but walking/bike paths make high speeds somewhat threatening to other users, and on the street i believe drivers see bicycl3 and think bicycle speeds. When i had 30+mph bikes and rode at max speed, ithink i had far more drivers misjudging my speed and making left turns cutting me off. As always, YMMV.

Also I found a guy selling Brand+new+Haibike+Sduro+MSRP+$4500full+nine+SL+29er+Pedal+assist for 2500, is that a good price ?

FYI-The Haibike Urban Plus indicated in your hyperlink uses the COBI system with your smartphone app. The Stromer St1 Platinum is a good front runner for around the same price on sale right now IMHO.

I have. Max current is max current. You can't get more current to the motor with a throttle, than with pedaling. At least on the Sondors throttle bike I have.

It depends in how your controller is programmed. For instance, in some places there are legal limits on what the throttle is allowed to produce, but pedal assist can legally provide more wattage. On my bike, with five levels of pedal assist, the 5th level is noticeably more zippy than full throttle.

Everybody wants to sell the bike they bought it seems. Best to define your needs an$ fin$ the bike that meets those needs.

Offroad power is good, but walking/bike paths make high speeds somewhat threatening to other users, and on the street i believe drivers see bicycl3 and think bicycle speeds. When i had 30+mph bikes and rode at max speed, ithink i had far more drivers misjudging my speed and making left turns cutting me off. As always, YMMV.

Hello, I completely agree that speed can be be very intimidating aka scary and down right dangerous on walking/bike paths. My
priority for the any users on a walking/bike path is... (1) Folks walking (2) Folks walking with dogs on a lease or not ( 3 ) Folks polking
along on a non-ebike and or a fancy road bike and (4) e-bikes and roadies.

I absolutely do not believe in yelling some guttural sound while passing walkers as I have seen some roadies do, with no break in their cadence whatsoever. I always, greet walkers as I approach, slowing down from perhaps 15 ish mph ( I almost always ride my MTB ) to a crawl as I pass.

John from CT

Back