I need a reliable e-bike

I just met a guy at my local bike shop that sells conventional and ebikes who was super frustrated because he needs to replace his chain so often since he uses his bike heavily--he was on his third chain in a matter of months.
That might indicate another problem. Even the most powerful mid drive with daily use shouldn’t eat chains that often. Maybe a really bad chain line, or shifting under stress.

belt-drive bike
Not many eBikes yet and mid drive kits and belt drives are a difficult conversion. A very few belt drive bikes have the geometry to kit. Wouldn’t it be cool? They are so quiet and smooth!

Drive train being highest maintenance item a middrive with belt drive and IGH eg Nuvinci, Rohloff, Nexus would be best option. A class 2 bike with 20mph and 500wh battery will do 40km round trip, assuming there aren't to many big hills and you go easy on turbo. With charge each end you can use turbo all time.

Any bike with belt drive isn't going to be cheap, really depends how much you value your free time spent servicing chain and cassette once a week.

As you said while it seems hub+ belt is the best option for mid drive ebikes, the price is prohibitive. A rohloff is $1.5K just for the hub vs a mid range derailleur which is around $50. Cheaper ones are significantly less efficient(Nuvinci %80-85 efficient which is quite a big loss). So it actually somewhat defeats the purpose for keeping maintenance cost low.

If you are putting high miles then hub motors seem to be the better choice for commuting since you use regular chain, drive-train and hub motors themselves are much cheaper to replace.

If you want the most efficient (greatest distance per effort) and lowest maintenance, Rohloff with belt drive is the best. Change oil in the hub once a year (.5 hour job) and just hose down the belt occasionally. Belts can last 10,000 miles or more. Expensive but head and shoulders above any other combo.

Back