I joined the Optibike clan today!

I have an off the wall question...
I want to raise the front of my bike an inch or two. I have tried a stem riser and riser handlebars which work ok. It's just not quite the feel I am looking for. My question:
1. Has anyone tried a 29" tire on the front with the stock 26" tire on the back? I understand this would require a new fork. I would also have to carry an additional spare tube.
2. Would a long travel fork accomplish a similar rise to the front end?
3. How about fork spacer between the head tube and the top of the fork? Don't some forks come with a long bearing tube you can cut to custom length? Do they make such an animal?

I think this would be ideal fit I am looking for. I would also move my seat all the way forward to get over the pedals slightly.

Anyone care to share some thoughts?

I knew they made the cut your own length steer tube...how about the head tube to top of fork Spacer? I want the frame to rise Not just the handlebars.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I knew they made the cut your own length steer tube...how about the head tube to top of fork Spacer? I want the frame to rise between the fork and head tube?
Oh sorry I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to sit higher with something sturdier than an extension. There is a lot of questions raised about an under crown spacer. You would need a tall race to accomplish that and have it press fit to a fork with taller steerer tube. I think that would be a custom product for your bike/fork combo. A lot of engineering questions with that, about geometry etc...

https://www.google.com/search?q=und..._AUoAGoVChMI0_a3ksDnxgIVjFYeCh1fzA9R&dpr=1.35

Oh sorry I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to sit higher with something sturdier than an extension. There is a lot of questions raised about an under crown spacer. You would need a tall race to accomplish that and have it press fit to a fork with taller steerer tube. I think that would be a custom product for your bike/fork combo. A lot of engineering questions with that, about geometry etc...

https://www.google.com/search?q=und..._AUoAGoVChMI0_a3ksDnxgIVjFYeCh1fzA9R&dpr=1.35
That's why I am thinking the 29" wheel and fork would be a better option? I may slip down to the machine shop and have a piece made to try the spacer. I have also considered a lower profile tire on the back and a Big Ben or similar on the front?? I am after a 1"-2" differential.

Probably being too picky. Just don't like the feel of the stem riser...feels disconnected somehow.

Hey Greg A:
A few posts back you asked about the short fenders and rear rack on my Allroad aka the Grey Ghost. They're the Sodapop fenders from Portland Design Works.
I'm not sure if they would have enough coverage for riding in Seattle. They are working fine for me here in Connecticut but I try not to ride in the rain too much.
The rear rack is also from PDW (I love, Love. LOVE their stuff). It's called the Loading Dock. It's made from aluminum alloy and the curves complement the shape of the Allroad's tubes. For a little less money they make a heavier—but equally curvaceous—rack from steel tubing called the Payload.
Have a look at their stuff. Their goods aren't cheap but they are beautiful, well-engineered, and well-made.
Allen

DSC09074.jpg

Allen,

Thanks for the info'. I've been out of town and just got back to see this.
That rack does look really nice on the bike.
If it stays as dry (and hot) as it has here this year I won't be needing any fenders at all! But those look good also.

I'll be sure to check out their website (if my bike ever shows up :D)

I spoke with Jim about the next shipment of Allroad bikes...they are built but haven't shipped to Optibike as of yesterday. He didn't elaborate.[/QUOTE
  1. @Optibike_Austen had said in the prior thread that it would be built in Colorado....I hope he was accurate in his statement;

QUOTE;

1. Optibike_AustenNew Member
    Hey Greg, your Allroad is due for July delivery, as you said, but it should be worth the wait because instead of having them assembled overseas, we will be assembling thenew run of Allroads here in Colorado with a higher quality fork, wheels and Schwalbe tires, amung other nice improvements to make the bike better than ever.

The allroad is not built in Colorado. The statement means the bikes will be assembled in Colorado. Jim wants to control the quality of assembly. He is also able to offer some upgrade options by doing this. Example: You can change the front sprocket, the forks, the rear cassette to an internally geared hub, I think he is also looking at some different tire options, etc...

The Allroad and City are the only Optibike frames which are not built in Colorado. All of his expensive bikes are built in Colorado. Obviously the components are imported.

Yeah, I am aware of that but I just quoting Optibike_Austen 's statement above;

"Hey Greg, your Allroad is due for July delivery, as you said, but it should be worth the wait because instead of having them assembled overseas, we will be assembling thenew run of Allroads here in Colorado with a higher quality fork, wheels and Schwalbe tires, amung other nice improvements to make the bike better than ever."

Update: About 670 miles I developed an issue. My motor quit pulling. The display, the level up and down, and the speed odometer worked. There was no output from the motor. I could power off then back on and the motor would work for a while.

The point of my update is customer service. I called and left a message with Optibike about 16:30...the next morning Jim called me back and discussed the issue. Four days later I received a new controller and I installed it in about 15 mins. I took a little run this evening (image below) and all is well.

I continue to hear Ebike owners complaining about the customer service with their bike companies...if customer service is important to you, Buy an Optibike!

image.jpg

Back