I joined the Optibike clan today!

Greetings:
Way to go man!
When you say one bar of battery left, do you mean on the King display on the handlebars or the indicator on your Allroad's battery?
Glad to see you're enjoying that Optibike. I'm so psyched that Winter and mud season are over in these here parts. It feels nice to be commuting to work on mine again. The next time we get some foul weather for biking I think it'll be safe to take off my studded snows.
There's a lot of sand on the roads around me, but hey, it's always something right?
Happy Trails/Allen

@Reddy Kilowatt i had one bar on the King display. I am having a blast. I flipped my trailer over twice on the way home tonight. The trailer doesn't like speeds above 15-20 mph combined with uneven sidewalks. It does much better on pavement. Spring has arrived here in Kansas. Bikers are everywhere! Nice when I can keep up with the kids...lol. The looks on their faces is priceless - as you pull away from them on hills. Our bikes may be overpriced...however they perform! I am anxious to find someone on a stromer so I can see if they can pull away from a fat man on an Optibike...even if it is only for a little while :)

Cheers!

image.jpg

Took a ride around the pasture this afternoon...note the missing BATTERY! Was not enjoyable at all!

Hey Grench...

Not enjoyable because no battery?, no assist?, rough ride in the pasture?, mean bulls chasing you...?

Curious to know why?

good looking bike BTW!

@Greg A
I was expressing how much of a friend I have made with the battery and assist! It felt like these little pasture hills were the Grand Tetons without it. :) All I have in the pasture are horses...they could care less. I took Opie (bikes name) to check the fence line. It is only 13 acres... The new pedals don't match the color very well but the are a better full footprint than the stock pedals. I am sure you will enjoy yours.

Thanks, got it.
Batteries are good to have!

You could always just jump on your horse I suppose, - if the battery needs charging!

@Greg A
I was expressing how much of a friend I have made with the battery and assist! It felt like these little pasture hills were the Grand Tetons without it. :) All I have in the pasture are horses...they could care less. I took Opie (bikes name) to check the fence line. It is only 13 acres... The new pedals don't match the color very well but the are a better full footprint than the stock pedals. I am sure you will enjoy yours.
Hey, hey, hey, we have an Opi here already (member opimax), be carefull with that.... And @opimax is one mean dude!:mad:

;)

:)

Cool Grench!
You're not making the long wait (July...!) for my bike any easier though!

Please do keep posting about your adventures - as I can live vicariously through them until mid summer when I'll hopefully get my bike!

You're not making the long wait (July...!) for my bike any easier though!
Indeed, the waiting is the hardest part. I waited like forever my my Pioneer Allroad. All I can say is it was so worth it. (I've also said the only thing I waited longer for was losing my virginity.)
When you get this bike, you are going to be so pumped though; trust me. Optibike have done a really good job with this whip.
I smile every time I ride the thing. And I get to work in a good mood every day; even when it's raining (well maybe not so much then).
Grench is an animal. I got my Allroad last Fall, and I have just a tick over five hundred miles on the clock.
But everyone that sees the Grey Ghost admires him. And lots of these folks drive cars that cost more than a house should.
So hang in there brother. July (and your new ride) will be here before you know it. Then you will have years of pleasure in front of you.
Allen

IMG_8490.jpg

Thanks Reddy.
You guys are keeping me pumped!

I like the looks of the smaller fenders on your bike. Are they doing their job to keep the spray off of you when it's wet?
I live in western Washington (the "state"!) and it rains here sometimes. I am going to look into options for fenders after I've ridden it for awhile and see if I think I'll really need them. I may end up being more of a "fair weather" rider, but you never can count on what the weather will do around here.

Also, what can you guys tell me about the racks you've put on your Allroads?

Loving the stories (but the wait is killing me!) ...keep 'em coming!

My Allroad had an equipment failure. I have been waiting to get resolution prior to posting about the experience. This is why I have not been keeping up with mileage on the bike challenge. The non E Giant is not so easy as I would wish.
On 06/03/15 my daughter was trying my bike on an unpaved road. During the ride the cadence sensor quit working. The bike still had throttle but no pedal assist. I sent Optibike an email and and received a response the next day 06/04/15 which stated they could fix it in one day if I would ship them the motor. I purchased tools (listed below) and pulled the motor and sent it in. It arrived at Optibike 06/09/15. The repaired motor is currently on a Fedex truck scheduled for 06/15/15 delivery to my house. I was told the cadence sensor had come loose inside the motor. I will be traveling all next week to Canada so I won't be able to test it out. Here are some pictures of the process of pulling the motor on the Optibike Pioneer Allroad. It took me about 20 mins. Amazing how easy it is to work on this bike. Let me know if anyone has questions.

Tool list:
Park tool BBT-22 Cup Tool
Part tool SR-22 Chain Whip Tool
Park tool CCP-22C Crank Puller
8mm Allen
4mm Allen

Steps:
1. Remove Battery
2. Disconnect Battery carrier to motor wire...you will have to wiggle it...it is tight...only fits one way when you reasemble
3. Remove Cranks 8mm Allen and Crank Puller
4. Pull the chain off the front sprocket leave it in the front derailer laying between the sprocket and frame.
5. Remove the nut on the front chain ring with Cup tool...left hand thread...lol took me a little while...have to hold the chainring with the Whip tool
6. Loosen the motor jam nuts 4mm Allen
7. Pull the motor out...It has a groove for alignment when installing

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG

Oh noes. That's a bummer.
Thanks so much for sharing the pics of the motor removal process. The build quality of this bike looks as good in the parts you can't see as it does in the parts you can. That's my hallmark for good engineering and construction
Sorry to hear your bike's cadence sensor went adrift. Sh** happens, I guess.
Looking forward to your getting Opie back in the running. Your team needs your miles man.
Allen

I put Opie back together this am and went for a 3 mile test...all is well. I am planning on a 100 mile week. I will update any issues with the repair. Allen, Greg...lets get em!

I put Opie back together this am and went for a 3 mile test...all is well. I am planning on a 100 mile week. I will update any issues with the repair. Allen, Greg...lets get em!
I'm right there with ya' Grench - as soon as my bike finally arrives.
I .. still ...can't ......wait!

Glad you got her all fixed!

Well @667 miles I boke two spokes. After wrestling with trying to true the wheel for a while I decided this was definitely NOT my competitive advantage...I took it to a LBS and the tech had it ready in about 15 mins...lol. Total for the spokes and work was $30.23. After a little frustration I was happy to pay it. :)
We are going to the lake this afternoon to ride the MTB trail and then jump in for a swim. Hope everyone is doing something fun today...we only have so many days left.

A swim in the lake sounds fantastic.
It's in the 90's in Seattle again this week, and it's been extremely dry here.

Back