I AM DEVASTATED!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I went to find out all the skinny, seems a guy was milling around the store under the radar, and when the two employees were distracted, busy with others he just calmly walked out with my bike! I guess I should be flattered he picked mine, they had just gotten a new shipment of bikes and had the store full of new models. The store is kinda small, about 20' wide and about 60 feet or so long. Still, it does sting! The manager was great and very apologetic, and said he would order me a new one, only it seems that this is a popular model nowadays, and said it would be 6 weeks or so. That is a bummer, he did offer me a comparable ride, and the only one there was a Powerfly FS9 Equipped! So I will pick it up on Friday after he builds it up!

Wow! that one is like 1700 bucks more and he said it was okay since I am a loyal customer for years now. They really stepped up, I almost feel guilty in accepting it. I did have about 800 bucks in upgrades though, so he said that their insurance would cover them also!

Yes, I did only have 300 miles but they were quality miles and I did bond pretty quickly. I am sure I will equally be as happy with the Powerfly.

Thanks for the comments people, Ride On!!!!🥰🎃 Will post some pix and review when I get the new girl!

Okay, I went to find out all the skinny, seems a guy was milling around the store under the radar, and when the two employees were distracted, busy with others he just calmly walked out with my bike! I guess I should be flattered he picked mine, they had just gotten a new shipment of bikes and had the store full of new models. The store is kinda small, about 20' wide and about 60 feet or so long. Still, it does sting! The manager was great and very apologetic, and said he would order me a new one, only it seems that this is a popular model nowadays, and said it would be 6 weeks or so. That is a bummer, he did offer me a comparable ride, and the only one there was a Powerfly FS9 Equipped! So I will pick it up on Friday after he builds it up!

Wow! that one is like 1700 bucks more and he said it was okay since I am a loyal customer for years now. They really stepped up, I almost feel guilty in accepting it. I did have about 800 bucks in upgrades though, so he said that their insurance would cover them also!

Yes, I did only have 300 miles but they were quality miles and I did bond pretty quickly. I am sure I will equally be as happy with the Powerfly.

Thanks for the comments people, Ride On!!!!🥰🎃 Will post some pix and review when I get the new girl!
What a great lbs. Definitely give them a shout out for taking care of you. The Powerfly is also beautiful. Maybe you will like it even better!

You know whats gunna happen dontcha Cheetah? You gunna fall in love with the Powerfly! Glad it is working out-getting a bike stolen sucks.

@CheetahLee ,

That is terrible news. We hope you can get it back.
I am almost certain that the store will have some liability insurance to cover such incidents. Trek dealers especially, carry insurance to be able to sell high-end road bikes.
I hope they will replace your bike and earn your loyalty.

Please let us know the outcome so the community can learn from it.
How horrible.....there is always a crook somewhere waiting to rip off your pride and joy ebike. I hope it works out well for you.

Excellent news! ;)

Your bike was stolen but thankfully it is the shops fault, they are ordering a new one and gave you a far better bike to ride in the mean time.

Sorry to be insensitive but I don't see what the big deal is. Some people are happy that they have not been to the hospital or simply because they are alive, some people lost their entire homes or loved ones in the fires, some of us had accidents that required surgery and you are "devistated" by this? I think you should be grateful instead.

Powerfly FS9 Equipped!
It seems a good deal because of the full suspension, large battery, top-end components. Isn't it the Class 1 e-bike though? Does it matter to you? (It wouldn't matter to me at the 20 mph speed assistance limit).

I wonder if the LBS has a policy that they are not responsible for any bike left in their care for repairs/maintenance?
I don't think a policy has any bearing on their responsibility to provide reasonable care and safekeeping for items entrusted to them. They will be crushed in civil court and also public opinion if they decide to sidestep their duties as a merchant. Denying any responsibility would be a PR nightmare for future business. Would you go there?

I guess as a society we are so attuned to being financially ripped off from all angles that some of us feel it's our responsibility in absorbing the financial loss due to the actions of others; that we lose focus that this was the total responsibility of the bike shop to call in the police, see the report was filed and to make the customer whole again.....including any upgrades the owner made to the ebike. Not the bike owner. And should he have bike insurance, not his bicycle insurer. No doubt that bike shop owner is going to have to clamp down on security cause I see some high insurance premiums in his future!

So far looks like a happy ending for Cheetah. As it should have been, from the get-go.

I guess as a society we are so attuned to being financially ripped off from all angles that some of us feel it's our responsibility in absorbing the financial loss due to the actions of others; that we lose focus that this was the total responsibility of the bike shop to call in the police, see the report was filed and to make the customer whole again.....including any upgrades the owner made to the ebike. Not the bike owner. And should he have bike insurance, not his bicycle insurer. No doubt that bike shop owner is going to have to clamp down on security cause I see some high insurance premiums in his future!

So far looks like a happy ending for Cheetah. As it should have been, from the get-go.

Very likely he will not file a complaint with his insurance. Cost him more in the end than just absorbing the loss. Unless he has a very decent insurance company. If there are such.

Reactions: MMC
I don't think a policy has any bearing on their responsibility to provide reasonable care and safekeeping for items entrusted to them. They will be crushed in civil court and also public opinion if they decide to sidestep their duties as a merchant. Denying any responsibility would be a PR nightmare for future business. Would you go there?
You're right and wrong : This is the Business I retired from : They are responsible by law just as you would be if someone put something in your care that was a value to them. As for a Policy. I can't think of a single Business with a Store Front for doing Business that doesn't or wouldn't carry liability Theft Insurance.
If they borrow money from a Bank Insurance is always required : No different then you having Homeowners : Except a Business insures itself for everything from theft , damage to personally liability were you to get hurt in their store.
Homeowners are covered for the same things just differently : An LBS has to cover incidentals : Like you taking a bike for a ride and getting killed or injured. Where a Home Owner wouldn't be liable if you let him ride your bike and he was hurt some how :

The title of this thread should be changed to
"My love for E-bike and my E-bike dealer is reinstated!!!!"
;)

Great to hear this positive news.

Anyone reading this thread and owns a Bosch E-bike, I would highly recommend upgrading to Kiox and have this Lock feature.
It will completely disable the motor operation and the thief will be left with a heavy E-bike that can not use the motor or the battery. He won't be able to sell it because nobody would purchase a heavy bike that can not make use of the battery or the motor.

It will completely disable the motor operation and the thief will be left with a heavy E-bike that can not use the motor or the battery. He won't be able to sell it because nobody would purchase a heavy bike that can not make use of the battery or the motor.
That's a great feature. Funny that only Bosch thought about such a useful option...

That's a great feature. Funny that only Bosch thought about such a useful option...
Maybe they felt some guilt over their foo-bar with power tube battery thefts. We have to wait to see if someone finds an easy way around it. My cheap bike haas a keyed switch that disables the electronics and secures the battery. It does not really permanently disable anything, but sure makes it hard for someone to ride away very fast. All e-bikes should have a fail safe electric lockout and other physical security features, but the problem with a lot of electronic lockouts are either they are easily bypassed, or can fail leaving the owner locked out. This might have prevented many from going that route, but there is always the cost factor which seems the biggest reason pennies are saved. Stolen bikes, mean more bike sales, so I think theft in general is not taken too seriously by for most devices. Computers and phones have had periods of exceptions, I remember when GPS units were the hot item.

The title of this thread should be changed to
"My love for E-bike and my E-bike dealer is reinstated!!!!"
;)

Great to hear this positive news.

Anyone reading this thread and owns a Bosch E-bike, I would highly recommend upgrading to Kiox and have this Lock feature.

Does it make it harder to pedal or just prevents motor from turning on?
Does it have any kind of tracking ?
What happens if something happens to the kiox used for locking?

Does it make it harder to pedal or just prevents motor from turning on?

There was a similar discussion here:

Both the battery and motor would be useless and that will be a red flag to anyone if that bike ever goes on sale. To make it harder to pedal, one has to have a direct drive or some sort of gear engagement.

Kiox lock + ABUS alarm lock would be big step up from regular lock.

Does it have any kind of tracking ?

The display is not designed to carry a GSM chip but OEM's have found a way to make it happen.
R-M, Flyer, and other companies offer this service in Germany. I am sure will see this in the N American market soon.

What happens if something happens to the kiox used for locking?
If the Kiox used for locking is broken or crushed in an accident, then Bosch technical support can help.

If the Kiox used for locking is broken or crushed in an accident, then Bosch technical support can help.

When you lock your bike with kiox does it have to connect to Bosch servers so make a copy of the key or is this an offline feature?
To make it harder to pedal, one has to have a direct drive or some sort of gear engagement
I don't think you need a direct drive but yes it has to have a way of locking the clutch.
Both the battery and motor would be useless and that will be a red flag to anyone if that bike ever goes on sale.

Yes but once the bike is stolen recovering it is a pain. Unless there is tracking it may not be possible to recover it.

The display is not designed to carry a GSM chip but OEM's have found a way to make it happen.
Is it in the display or in the bike ?

Back